Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Not Black Baccara - what is it?

Posted by Nippstress 5-Nebraska (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 11, 14 at 22:05

Below is a picture of a rose that came labeled from Palatine two years ago I think that's definitely not Black Baccara (a dark burgundy rose). There's the outside chance that my tags could be mixed up with Peach Beauty from Vintage, but ironically the rose below is too apricot to be Peach Beauty (a mostly pink Boerner rose). There are too many apricot roses in Palatine's array for me to ID it correctly, so I'd welcome your help.

I quite like this rose, but I'd like to get it labeled correctly. I'm wondering if it might be a climber, since it has an extremely lax habit draped along the ground for several feet before it decides to bloom on the end. I could work with that, even though it's at the front of the bed, since there's a fence within a few feet that it could probably reach with help (being a lazy soul and unlikely to move it). More ideas on ID would be very nice.

Cynthia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Not Black Baccara - what is it?

Looks a little like my Joseph's Coat.

o

So unusual for palatine to mislabel. I have seen this beauty before; am wracking my little brain to remember the name.

o

• Posted by alameda 8 - East Texas (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 11, 14 at 23:10

First photo looked like About Face, but not the last. I have not seen Moonlight bloom, but might it be that one? Moonlight - large flowered climber by Kordes, 1995.

o

• Posted by vasue 7A Charlottesville (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 11, 14 at 23:12

Could it be Aloha Hawaii? Stunning rose!

Here is a link that might be useful: photos

o

My moonlight is paler apricot, but it could be the big shrubby healthy monster.. I also thought of aloha...which I do not have, but now want!

o

I think Vasue might be right. Here is a link to Aloha Hawaii, a climbing rose, on Help Me Find Roses. Does it have a moderate fruity fragrance?

Here is a link that might be useful: Aloha Hawaii

o

Ooh, I'd be very happy if this is Aloha Hawaii! I have this planted elsewhere in my yard on purpose, and I love the intriguing combination of hot colors. Of course, this would happen to be in my "pink" bed of roses, but I'm all about having accent colors even within my attempts at consistency in my yard, so it's going to stay in this bed unless it doesn't play nicely with others. For me, apricot - like white and purple - are blending tones that help other colors work well together. Besides, a healthy apricot is a thing of joy, and it's welcome in my yard.

Thanks for the input - quite a plausible estimate, given that Palatine also sells Aloha Hawaii. Any other "usual suspects" would be welcome to put this to the test.

Cynthia

o

It is most definitely Aloha Hawaii.

It also thought it might be Caramel Fairy Tale since both the blooms and buds are very similiar to Aloha Hawaii. However, the leaves give it away. Aloha Hawaii has the glossy and more crinkled leaf form shown in your picture, whereas Caramel Fairy Tale has a more matt leaf texture with slightly less pronounced crinkles.

o

My Aloha Hawaii from Palatine is NOT lax. Nor is my Caramel Fairytale. I agree the blooms are similar but mine is stiff with massive pickles.and thick canes. I'm intrigued.
Susan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here