Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ken_n_ga_mts

Rose's on multiflora rootstock

ken-n.ga.mts
11 years ago

I've been watching the rose forms for quite a while and have noticed that folks that grow their rose's on multiflora seem to be stuck on just a couple of nurseries. Most out of Canada. I haven't seen anyone say anything about "Wisconsin Rose's". I don't grow many roses on multiflora but I got a few from Steve a few years ago and they have been great. I might get a few more this year. He has some roses I'd like to try out and see if I like the bush and blooms. Check their web site out. You may find something you like.

Comments (9)

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    11 years ago

I love Steve Singer's roses, but I only recommend Wisconsin Roses for rose growers with a little more experience (and a lot of patience). Although Steve's instructions are clear, I think that a newbie might be a little overwhelmed. Steve sells newly-budded maiden roses, and require a little more work to get them started. But, you're right, if someone wants great hybrid teas (Steve has some minis and floribundas too), and you can grow on R. multiflora rootstock, then check out Wisconsin Roses.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wisconsin Roses

• TNY78
    11 years ago

Ken I have ordered from Steve and his roses are WONDERFUL! Plus, I get a kick out of cutting the top off the multiflora plant! :) I mainly grow OGRs, ployanthas, and hybrid musks and Steve generally sells exibition type roses. I would LOVE it if another US seller, or Steve, would offer more varieties with multiflora rootstock. Maybe someone will catch on that theres a need for it since it seems the Canadian sellers are having issues importing.

Tammy

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    8 years ago

So Ken. Will multiflora rootstock be ok for us in North Georgia? It doesn't mean they will be maiden plants does it? I would prefer a plant I can just plant the graft and go. I've tried one of Steves roses and failed so this year he's sending me actually plants of his Stephen Rulo. So excited to be getting it. Judy

• zack_lau z6 CT ARS Consulting Rosarian
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Multiflora does well in my acid clay soil--even without amendments. A quick Google search of PH for Northern Georgia suggests a PH of 4 to 8, which means that you need a soil test to figure out whether your soil is acid, alkaline, or neutral. Many states have low cost soil testing--the only one I know that does not is California.
    UGA extension fee schedule
    UGA Soil Testing Procedures

• Buford_NE_GA_7A
    8 years ago

I ordered roses from Palantine last year. They are on multiflora and are doing great. Most soil in Georgia is slightly acidic. If you are not sure, get a PH test. But if you have hydrangeas and they are blue, most likely you have acidic soil.

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    8 years ago

In my case, my soil pH depends on where in my yard you are. There was a LOT of earth moved when the house was built, and a lot of backfilling done. The undisturbed soil is acidic; but anything near the house or where grading was done tends to have a more neutral to alkaline reading. I think they buried every piece of concrete they could find to use as fill :P

Fortunately, the alkalinity is not too extreme, and since organic matter tends to buffer the pH, my soil if good for roses, even near the house. And I have the wild multiflora all over the farm to prove that it likes the native pH just fine, lol. I've drooled over some of Steve's offerings, but I haven't brought myself to take the plunge yet, never having dealt with maidens (of the rosaceae type, lol) before.

John

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    8 years ago

Thanks y'all! I kinda figured my soil was acidic bc the hydrangeas are blue. I appreciate y'alls quick responses. Judy

• wirosarian_z4b_WI
    8 years ago

Most of Wis. Roses plants are geared toward the rose exhibitor rather than the rosegardener/non-exhibitor. Also I had a bad experience with an order I place there a few years back when he totally lost track of it. I was less than enamored with his response to the lost order on his end.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    8 years ago

John I tried one to no avail so emailed Steve and he had a couple plants of what I wanted so he sold me those so I wouldn't have to get the maiden plant. He may have ones you want as plants too.