Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spotted stems? Should I be worried

Posted by aahl none7A VA (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 11, 14 at 22:33

I just pruned and about a third of my 60 bushes has some canes like the one pictured. All seem healthy and until the very end last year I has the least disease I have had in 30 years. Regular spray program is Banner Maxx alternating with Mancozeb. Any thoughts??

This post was edited by aahl on Tue, Mar 11, 14 at 22:48

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spotted stems? Should I be worried

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 12, 14 at 11:14

Sometimes black spot will over winter on the canes and cause these spots to appear.

o

I have it as well on a couple of my roses.
So how do I get rid of it? What is the out come for canes like the one pictured

o

It is probably blackspot, as seil said. The only way to get rid of it is to remove those canes. Since aahl has a good fungicide application program in place, that should handle any issues with blackspot going forward, given that the application is started early.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 12, 14 at 19:17

I don't usually prune them off unless there is some other issue that would require it to be removed. Black spot is out there everywhere and whether you have some spots on the canes or not the plant may still get it at a later date when the conditions are right for it to grow.

o

What seil said. I don't cut them off either. Note that once blacksopt occurs you can't "remove" or "get rid" of the spots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here