Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ebb Tide V. Twilight Zone

Posted by desertgarden561 9a/SZ11 -Las Vegas,N (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 22:46

Today, upon careful analysis of both of these roses, to my eye and nose this is what I observed:

Ebb Tide has the deep smokey purple through and through, whereas Twilight Zone becomes almost fuchsia toward the center. I much prefer the color of Ebb Tide as I was searching for "purple"

The flowers on my Twilight Zone are slightly larger than Ebb Tide.

The fragrance is very lovely and extremely similar to my nose. Actually, I could not detect any difference but it is allergy season so my sense of smell may not be at its best.

The leaves on Ebb Tide are darker and less glossy than Twilight Zone. I really like the leaves on Twilight Zone. The aphids are not attacking TZ the way they have been other roses in my garden.

I know Ebb Tide is reported to become a real stinker when it becomes hot, I will definitely see�.

Unfortunately, my camera battery died before I could snap shots of TZ, but here is Ebb Tide.

Lynn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ebb Tide V. Twilight Zone

Hmmm. I've never seen my Twilight Zone with such a light color, even in 100 degree weather. That's too bad, Lynn. It may hold its color better when the plant gains maturity. I have three Ebb Tide roses, and one thing I've noticed is that they all have ugly growth habits with canes popping out at odd angles. TZ, being a grandiflora, has a nice, uniform shape, though mine isn't very big yet. I do love ET's color in spring and fall, but not in summer. I hope things improve with TZ's color. Diane

o

Nanadoll,

The image is Ebb Tide and a new plant. I think maturity can impact blooms. I had not walked the front yard for three days, so this may not have been a super fresh bloom, however, it was not raggedy.

Soil composition may also impact coloration. I will try to post the next blooms of both Ebb Tide and Twilight Zone immediately. TZ too is a new plant but it is loaded with buds, some have opened, some had not.

Lynn

This post was edited by desertgarden561 on Sat, Mar 22, 14 at 11:26

o

I'm sorry I got the pic mixed up. If that is Ebb Tide, it is looking more like mine do in the summer. I'm hoping you get some really dark blooms. ET and Twilight Zone have pretty much the same color in spring and fall, but ET fades out in summer up here. I remember it was worse when the plants were really young. Keep us posted. Diane

o

Diane,

Will do. I certainly hope the difference in coloration is due to the plant being immature. The summers here are like hades, the trade off is a comfortable climate most months of the year. We have had sunny blue skies and daytime highs in the 70's since February, which is quite ideal for roses.

Lynn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here