Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Possible RRV? Need help to identify.

Posted by handg Z9 (san jose,ca) (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 22:54

Hi,

2 of my roses shrivelled up all of a sudden.
I am worried if this might be a case of RRV.
I am enclosing pictures of several roses which look peculiar for a spring growth.
Can all the expert rosarians please advise?

thanks,
handg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Possible RRV? Need help to identify.

Adding link:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lipikab/13320696964/

o

Did you happen to use any product on the lawn recently? Some round up anywhere?

Being in California, Rose Rosette Disease is something found on the other side of the rockies, thank goodness and lets hope it stays away. Or did you mean Rose Mosaic Virus?

Any Gophers in your garden? Or different fertilizer used?

o

It doesn't look like Rose Rosette Disease to me. But what it is, I have no idea. It looks like you had some healthy new growth and something suddenly happened like cold weather or some chemical.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 22, 14 at 10:34

Did you at any point in the early development have a sudden cold snap or any kind of strange weather? That could cause peculiar growth patterns. It doesn't seem to look like RRD to me.

o

I wonder if the roots are gone. A critter may have chewed them or they may have rotted off.

o

RRV tends to look like bizarre, accelerated growth. Your plant looks more like it needs water. Or, as Henry suggests, it has no viable roots

RRV
 photo RoseRosette004_zps353bff13.jpg

o

• Posted by maryl Z7 Okla. (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 22, 14 at 16:37

I missed the memo that RRD is now called RRV. Oh Well....Harry's picture is pretty much how all of my RRD infected roses looked with the over production of rubbery thorns being the first obvious indicator.....Maryl

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 22, 14 at 16:44

drip system clogged? looks like it died of thirst. check how moist the soil is after running the drip system. standard ("tree") roses are easier to kill, too.

o

Whoops! Yeah. Its RRD.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here