Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
becca_e

When do roses bloom?

becca_e
16 years ago

I know this is a rather basic question... but I was wondering if anyone can tell me when roses typically begin to bloom and when they typically stop blooming (what months)? I'm a writer, and I'm working on a short story that involves roses as an important motif, and I want to make sure I got that detail right. Thanks :)

Comments (17)

• jerijen
    16 years ago

Becca, It will vary every year with the weather pattern, but basically, it will depend upon where your story is set.
    In Southern California, our roses are beginning to bloom.

Jeri

• sam0ny4b
    16 years ago

For Virginia , I would guess April showers bring May flowers.

• patricianat
    16 years ago

I notice you have VA by your name, so I assume you are talking about Virginia. I live in Alabama and I count on my rose show being anywhere between April 25-May 10 (the big show). This can vary based on weather. Last year they were frozen on Easter Sunday and there was no "big show." With the worst drought since the Civil War, there was not much after that but high water bills.

I believe Pat Henry in Upstate, SC, normally has her open house around Mother's Day, so that is the second Sunday (I think) in May, and that would be closer to your time than mine.

• anntn6b
    16 years ago

It totally depends on where your story is set and what kinds of roses you are talking about: moderns, old garden roses or species.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    16 years ago

And don't forget the Black Spot and Japanese Beetles. ;^)

• brhgm
    16 years ago

Roses start blooming in February or March here. We have had a few cold days late this year and so many plants have been delayed despite a generally warm winter.

• canadian_rose
    16 years ago

I get roses in early July - sigh.

:)
    Carol

• karl_bapst_rosenut
    16 years ago

In NW Indiana zone 5a roses begin to bloom in Mid May but the big flush is late May/early June. They will bloom until late November depending on the weather but the majority ceases by early November.

• catsrose
    16 years ago

Rule of Thumb: Roses bloom late spring/early summer. Old garden roses bloom have only that one time. Modern roses bloom on-and-off until frost, with a second good flush in fall.

If you can tell us where and when your story is set, we can be more helpful. For instance, [for most intents and most purposes] there were no yellow roses in Europe before 1900.

• jerijen
    16 years ago

Old garden roses bloom have only that one time.

*** NO NO NO!

MOST Northern European once-bloomers have just one flush of bloom. (There are exceptions.)
    MANY Old Garden Roses, however, are wholly Asian in origin, or partially Asian.
    Those roses are fully remontant.

In fact, all of the modern remontant roses owe that ability to the continuous-blooming Asians --
    Teas and Chinas, for the most part.
    In Southern California, where I am located, Teas and Chinas, and their children, the Noisettes,
    are rarely NOT in bloom.

I've always enjoyed the work of Barbara Michaels/Elizabeth Peters.
    She knows and grows Old Roses, and when she writes about them, she is right on target.

Jeri

• catsrose
    16 years ago

Jeri,
    I was trying to keep it simple. If the story has an historical setting, it's not likely the protaganists would have encountered the Asian influence much before 1825 unless they are in Asia or devoted rose gardeners. If becca has to ask when roses bloom, then she's looking at the forest; you're focused on the trees.

And in VA, the Teas Chinas and Noisettes are just now coming back into leaf.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    16 years ago

For the sake of a novel, set in Virginia, it would be safe to say they began blooming in late May and continued through October.

Just trying to keep this simple.

• rosalita
    16 years ago

This is why I love this forum. Thanks to Jeri for that information as I'm still new to roses and found that very informative. Becca_E: Let us know where we can read the short story when it's finished.

• jerijen
    16 years ago

Y'all need to read Mrs. Keays "OLD ROSES."
    Also "EVERBLOOMING ROSES," by Drennan.

Remember, 'Champney's Pink Cluster' was bred in Charleston, about 1811 -- so Champney, clearly, had Old Blush and R.
    moschata prior to that date.
    (O.B. was in the west by 1793.)

Jeri

• catsrose
    16 years ago

Dissemination is the keyword here. What Champney had in his nursery in 1811 is not what every had in the back yard in 1812. Anybody know what the 10 most popular roses were in 1825? 1850? 1875?....and in which countries?

• hardin
    16 years ago

I don't know about the 10 most popular, but I know the oldest rose is, Rosa gallica officinalis, the apothecary rose. It was brought back to France from the Crusades in the 13th century. It's a pretty rose and fragrant too. I'm thinking of buying one.

• gb1979_sbcglobal_com
    13 years ago

Ive been doing research and have noticed that flowers bloom in Mid May. They can also start blooming as late as early July.