Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zenobia0000_gw

Why are my new roses wilting?

zenobia0000
15 years ago

I got some bareroot roses and upon recommendation potted them in 5 gallon pots. I placed the pots in the area where they will eventually be planted (it's not ready yet) and they were doing just great.

We had some cold nights and i was worried, but as many of you said they were fine.

We have also been having rain for about week and half, it's been really crazy. So they got watered a lot. On the days it didn't rain, i watered them.

Well, today it stopped raining and the sun came out, it wasn't very hot, but it was warmer.

Many of the potted roses, and actually some that i have in the ground elsewhere are wilting. The new growth looks weak, especially the red leaves.

What is causing this? I didn't water them today, but they were wilting since morning, and they got so much rain yesterday, i checked the soil and it was quite wet. I moved the pots around so they wouldn't be standing in the same spot and the water could drain.

Could it be the sun? It was cloudy for a while, and we had almost a full day of sun.

What should i do? water them more, less? Move them from the sun? Do nothing?

Please offer any advice, i really want them to live!

Thanks,

Larisa

Comments (14)

• michaelg
    15 years ago

Roses normally wilt when the sun comes out after several days of cloud cover. Move to part shade until the roots catch up with the tops.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    15 years ago

The other possibility is that the drainage is not as good in those pots as you thought.

Kate

• berndoodle
    15 years ago

Another possibility is that you fertilized them.

• ramblinrosez7b
    15 years ago

I was thinking of the drainage also but you stated that the ones in the ground are wilting too. What kind of potting soil did you use? I remember that happen to me once and I could not figure out what the matter was. I don't know what made me do it but I reached down into the pot and sure enough there was a big air pocket and the water was just sitting on top of the soil in this pocket. I did not pack down the soil good enough, just threw it in the pot and planted the rose....I since learned from that experience.
    Here is a way you can tell if the wilting is from the sun, Put a cover over one of the roses, I use a small laundry basket, that way there are holes so the rose does not smother, then take it off after a few hours and see if the rose is not wilting, if it is, then there is another problem.
    Good luck, and let us know how you made out.

• anntn6b
    15 years ago

Smell the soil of the ones in pots. Does it reak of the stagnant canals of Bangkok? Then it's a drainage problem.
    Did you have horrific winds? If so, the bushes may have been rocked by the wind and the new feeder roots broken, regardless of where the bushes are planted.

Too much water, too much fertilizer (70degree temps could have released time release fertilizer too soon), too much wind for the evapotranspiration rates of the rose leaves to keep up.

• zenobia0000
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We did have a lot of wind, it was actually pretty intense yesterday.

They look a little better today, i didn't water them, I will tomorrow.

I mixed potting soil with compost and some rosefood, some sort of granules in the soil that i put in the pots.

I will smell the pots and check that out, thanks for the tip!

• lou_spicewood_tx
    15 years ago

Yeah, it isn't really a good idea to mix in compost for the container. That can really mess up drainage. There's a lot of info in container gardening forum by Al. What i use for mine is 3 parts screened pine bark fines, 1 part peat moss and 1 part expanded shale (type of porous rocks). Drainage is the key for the containers... I do use controlled release fertilizer called Dynamite that I buy from big box stores. It's 9 months release so no big deal. I wouldn't touch osmocote that;s sold at big big stores though because of fast release. It's one of hard lessons I had to learn a couple years ago. Drainage is #1 priority for the containers...

• mashamcl
    15 years ago

Not to argue, but by way of educating myself, how can compost affect drainage?
    When I got my bands from RVR this winter they suggested I plant them in top soil. I obediently went and bought a bag of top soil. It didn't really seem like a good idea to me to use that as a potting mix, but who am I to argue with professionals... I planted them in top soil, it seemed to compact from the watering I did, and seemed to be really wet after watering. However, my bands didn't mind, they have set buds, and there are roots showing out the drainage holes. On the other hand, when my bands from Vintage came the instructions said to put them in a good quality potting mix. Well, I had a bag of commercial potting mix (with fertilizer added, yes), so I put them in that (all 8 of them). Those bands are doing great too. They didn't seem to mind the fertilizer or anything else, they are growing and setting buds.
    Perhaps, there are few hard and fast rules, but lots of different ways to do things.
    Masha

• michaelg
    15 years ago

Did you move the pots to part shade, and did they perk up? If so, it was the change of weather and no need to worry about this other stuff. Even long established roses will wilt temporarily with a change in weather.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    15 years ago

Marsha-

Click on the link that will lead you to the thread about mix in the container in container forum

Here is a link that might be useful: Container Soils - Water Movement & Retention

• jerijen
    15 years ago

Perhaps, there are few hard and fast rules, but lots of different ways to do things.
    Masha

*** Cast that statement in gold.
    It's the truest truth of all.

Jeri

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    15 years ago

Since these were bareroots, did you cover-up the canes above ground with anything, e.g. mulch, dirt? This could be the problem if you didn't cover them. Not only does this protect the canes from the weather conditions, but it also keeps them from wind dehydration. As the canes produces growth, you gradually pull back this covering. I hope this helps.

• michaelg
    15 years ago

Rogue Valley recommends potting in soil so the rose, when transplanted to the garden, doesn't have to negotiate a sharp horizon between the stuff in its rootball and the garden soil. In all-organic potting mix, the fleshy roots develop little or none and the pot fills up with feeder roots. They may be reluctant to reach outside the organic rootball. Most gardeners in Britain and Europe use a potting soil with around 50% real soil even for permanent pot culture. Therefore Al's obsession with super-fast drainage isn't necessarily well founded.

However, potting mix works fine for roses too. A lot of things that rose gardeners claim are critical, really aren't critical. Arguments continue because both methods produce good results.

• Derek D Drew
    8 years ago

i will check for drainage first,thanks all of you