Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nastarana

Witherspoon

nastarana
12 years ago

I received a coupon for one rose from Witherspoon for joining the American Rose Society.

But, I am wondering, if they graft onto fortunia, can the plant survive in zone 5, heavy soil. What if I planted deeply, would that help?

They have Rhonda, also some nice rugosas.

Comments (20)

• TNY78
    12 years ago

I've purchased from Witherspoon before, they have nice plants. and they don't graft onto fortunia. I couldn't tell you if they use Huey or Multiflora, but I say go for it :)

• nastarana
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you. I shall.

• ken-n.ga.mts
    12 years ago

I'm almost sure they sell their roses grafted on Dr. Huey.

• jaxondel
    12 years ago

Definitely Dr Huey.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    12 years ago

Dr. Huey, but the OGRs and minis may be own root, I can't find my catalog at the moment. I have received excellent plants from Witherspoon, never a problem.

• april_showers
    12 years ago

WITHERSPOON GAVE ME RRD!!!!!! I live in North Caronlina, and purchase from their retail location. They have RRD infected wild roses growing on / near their property AND DO NOT CARE. I was forced to tear out half of my rose bed, and planted Dhalias for 2 years. This company did offer to replace the sick plants with new ones, but told me that this has happened to several people, and is "just one of those things like blackspot". Ethically I would NEVER do business with this company again, and I hope you wouldn't either. Save yourself the hassel and headache, and buy from one of the respected nurseries selling own-root or fortuniana grafts.

• windeaux
    12 years ago

April Showers,

The Witherspoon experience you report here is very alarming -- especially the cavalier comment about RRD being "just one of those things like blackspot".

From what I can deduce from your post, the incident you describe occurred at least 2 or 3 yrs ago, is that correct? And, am I right in assuming that the infected roses were purchased as leafed-out, actively growing containerized plants?

It's my guess that all of Witherspoon's bareroots are supplied to them by Weeks shortly before shipping season begins. Does anyone here know if there's any recorded instance of dormant bareroots being infected with RRD?

• nastarana
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, my goodness!! You are quite sure, April Showers, that the RRD did come from a plant you bought from Witherspoon? Did you report them to your state agriculture department? RRD is just begnning to show up in NY, and I do not want to be importing more of it. You can see the pretty but deadly multiflora growing along roadsides in early spring.

I have not ordered yet. I shall have to buy my Rhonda from Northland Rosarium, who also have Pink Meidilland.

• odie96
    12 years ago

APRIL!!! OMG, I hope I didn't read correctly. I have bought twelve or thirteen roses from them this year and have been very satisfied. I've been buying from them for years and have never been disappointed in their plants. In fact, I've stated on here how much I love them. OK, I will NOT panic until I speak with them in the morning. BTW, their garden at their facility in Durham is beyond gorgeous!

• april_showers
    12 years ago

Yes, I am sorry that I didn't clarify in my original post. Yes I purchased leafed out containerized plants a couple years ago. The bare roots, as far as I know, come from Weeks. They don't acctually propogate plants to my knoledge. I was just so throughly frustrated by my experience. Not all my plants I recieved from them were infected, so, if you are purchasing bare-roots I do not think you will have the same problems. I appologize for causing any undo stress to anyone. Hopefully my experience was an exceptional one, and not the norm.

• bethnorcal9
    12 years ago

I've ordered from them only a couple times over the yrs. Only when they have something no one else has. Their roses are too expensive and basically mostly ones you can get anywhere else. Two yrs ago I ordered their own RK WITHERSPOON and SECRET'S OUT before it was released elswhere. SECRET'S OUT ended up being a deep pure hot pink rose. I emailed them about it and they emailed back saying they would replace the rose the next spring. Well, that was last spring, and they never sent me the replacement rose. I will never order from them again. I do think I've ID'd the pink rose tho. I'm pretty sure it's VOLUPTUOUS, which is ok. It's a very pretty rose. But I paid quite a lot for SECRET'S OUT and didn't get it, and they obviously could care less.

• nastarana
    Original Author
    12 years ago

beth, I agree about the prices and the ordinariness of the selection. I have, however, been looking for Rhonda.

• michaelg
    12 years ago

I would reaffirm the point about their bareroots being no danger. These plants were grown in the West, shipped to NC, and kept in cold storage.

• TNY78
    12 years ago

Very nice response Mr. Pike. I hope to visit your retail center the next time that I am over your way!

• WitherspoonRose
    12 years ago

@Beth,
    Please contact us at your earliest convenience with your shipping address so we can get your Secrets Out to you. We are terribly sorry for the confusion and hope you will help us resolve the problem.

• nastarana
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The free rose is their own rose, R. W. Witherspoon, undoubtedly a fine rose, as it is a sport of another fine rose. Unfortunately, I don't have room for it.

$24.99 plus shipping is a little rich for me, unless for a unique cultivar not offered anywhere else.

• Kelly Tregaskis Collova
    7 years ago

Did anyone end up getting Rhonda? Reports?

• mcnastarana
    7 years ago

I bought 'Rhonda' from Northland Rosarium, but it unfortunately did not survive the very cold winter we had a few years back. I might try again this year if I can find it.

• mcnastarana
    7 years ago

I just looked at the Witherspoon site--no 'Rhonda' this year--but they are having a sale!! $15.00 for most roses-- a rather nice selection of 21stC and late 20thC introductions, even a few DAs, including Galloping Gert. For whatever reason, nurserypeople love Gertie; maybe they don't grow her. I grant the flowers are beautiful, but one needs a ladder to see them.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz