Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lunchlady8

Anyone from East Tx

lunchlady8
15 years ago

I'm looking for someone from the same area as me to see if you grow Climbing Iceberg.I just read a post about this rose being BP magnet.I just bought this rose from Chamblee's.But in our climate with the humity(sp?),most of my roses has blackspot.I spray every week when the temp get hot.I would love to see a picture of one in full bloom.

Thanks,Ann

Comments (13)

• jerijen
    15 years ago

You know, you need to check Antique Rose Emporium and the Earthkind List, for roses that don't blackspot in your area.

Jeri

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    15 years ago

Hi Ann.......I am from east Texas. I bought a climbing Iceberg for $2 from the sale bin at Chamblees a few years ago. A honeysuckle is covering it up at the moment but I see it back in there, still alive. I have not sprayed it in a couple of years and it looks fine. I dont have the regular Iceberg.....so cant comment on that. I do spray - sometimes I get behind on my schedule - but I dont have anything other than Intrigue that totally succombs to BS. I adore Intrigue but I didnt replace it when it died.

Since you spray, just enjoy the rose and dont worry about BS. Mine does fine and blooms well, even behind the honeysuckle [which is getting ready to be whacked back].

Chamblees and ARE are both excellent sources for BS free roses. Chamblees has a garden of roses out back of the greenhouses that they dont spray, barely water and see what does well. Check that out next time you are there.
    Judith

• lunchlady8
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey alameda,I'm just happen to be going back to Chamblee's today.I decided not to worry about ice berg,just spray it,and like you said enjoy it.If you don't mind me asking,what part of east tx are you from.

Ann

• holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas
    15 years ago

I don't have a climbing iceberg, but I have two regular ones that I have planted, then moved, and they are in shade, poor things, but they bloom away and I don't have a problem with BS at all with them (no spray). Hope you had a great time at Chamblee's. DH tries to keep me away from there as much as possible! lol

• lou_spicewood_tx
    15 years ago

I was given Iceberg by my brother. Turned out to be BS magnet. I don't know if it was grown own root or grafted but I got rid of it. You may be happier with Marie Pavie or Ducher. That's what I ended up with for white flowers.

I see that you wanted climbing rose... Try White Dawn which is a sport of New Dawn on Earthkind list.

Here is a link that might be useful: White Dawn

15 years ago

Ann.....I am from Lufkin. I found a beautiful white climber in Chamblees sale bin, they think its cl. Sombreuil....gorgeous white blooms. A white climber I would like and have heard really good things about is the Brownell White Cap. I have a White Dawn which is beautiful, but mine is still small and hasnt made great strides. I am also trying Clair Austin this year - its supposed to climb. BTW, did you know you can order David Austin roses and pick them up there on Hwy. 64 in Tyler and save on shipping??? And there is the neat little Hand Nursery close by, then there is Blue Moon Gardens further down......all that makes a really swell day trip! I think its about time for another one.......was just there a few weeks ago when the pear trees were coming into bloom. I feel a road trip coming on.......
    Judith

• prairielaura
    15 years ago

SALE BIN??? Chamblee has a sale bin?? And where is this Hand Nursery of which you speak? Blue Moon? We make the pilgrimage to Tyler at least once a year, and I missed those two altogether. Answer quick while I start the car!
    Laura, who lives in Brenham...

15 years ago

Brenham! The ARE is in your backyard! How lucky! Yes, Chamblees has a sale bin to the right of the office. Lots of bargains there......I have gotten many good roses there!! $5 and $2.....[you need to make a return trip!] To get to Hand Nursery and Blue Moon.......you get on the Loop and go to Hwy. 64 [this is also the road to Canton, the once a month flea market fest!!] - coming from Chamblees, you will turn right. I cant remember how many miles - 6-8 - but Hand Nursery will be on the right [it is sort of down a little hill, elevation wise, and you can see 3 big greenhouses]. David Austin Roses office is on the left right before you get to Hand's. [order first, then pick up there, no display gardens, no walk ins]. Then right up from Hand Nursery, you will see a sign that says "Edom" on the right. Turn left there [only one road, so easy to see]. Go about 6 miles and Blue Moon Gardens is on the left. Fabulous display gardens and every unusual plant you can imagine and a fabulous gift shop in a cute cute redone farmhouse. Then.......go on in to the little town of Edom - cute place to eat, Potters Brown with beautiful handmade pottery and other cute things......THEN there is the Tyler Municipal Rose Garden - a sight to behold when the roses are in full bloom. The icing on the cake is Mercados Mexican Resturant, on the Loop. Divine! From Brenham.....you really need to spend the night!! I am probably going to make a trip next week. It has, after all, been a month since I was there! Gotta have my Tyler fix......But wait theres more. SFA University in Nacogdoches has THE most wonderful plant sale April 18 - so many unusual things you cant get anywhere else. Bring your wagons, they cut the tape at 9am and it is hilarious, people running everywhere with every kind of wagon imaginable - like the Oklahoma Land Rush with the little band playing Foggy Mountain Breakdown......what a hoot, I would not miss it! Then....Kings Nursery in Teneha, Cooks Nursery in Nac.....the Arbor Gate near Conroe is having Rose Day March 28, the Houston Rose Society rose show is April 18, their garden tour is April 19......with you living that close, you really should join - $12/year for gazette and you get 10% off at several nurseries including Teas, and for Rose Week in February at Southwest Fertilizer [where I get my Mills Magic Rose Mix] it is 15% off. Lots of fun to be had! Oh, almost forgot Jordan's Plant Farm and the cute wholesale nurseries in New Summerfield.....another fun trip! And Jack Carpenter's Daylily Farm in Center, 30 minutes from Nacogdoches. Not to be missed in May and early June - 5 acres of blooming daylilies!
    Judith

• prairielaura
    15 years ago

I feel faint...get the smelling salts, Tillie!!
    Judith, I am so glad we had this little chat.
    Do they sell retail at Carpenter's Daylilies? I think I'll do a grand tour the week of Argyle's iris open house, and swing back thru Tyler. (heart pounding)

• gaggysbeach
    15 years ago

I live in Greenwood, LA, just outside of Shreveport and we are about 4 minutes from the Texas line. I LOVE Chamblee's. We went to Tyler about a month ago and I came home with 20 new roses from there. I got a few out of the sale bin, Seven Sisters, Red Hearts, Pink Hearts, Baby Love. I haven't got all of them planted yet, but I'm working on it. I'm going to print out all these directions for the next Tyler trip.

We spent our first July 4th as marrieds at the Tyler Rose garden. It is wonderful. Everyone sits in the grass and the fire works go off right over your head.

• cweathersby
    15 years ago

I'm in Texarkana. I used to spray, but stopped. Life is much easier now!
    Iceberg is one of my (maybe my most) BS prone rose- out of around 150 roses (maybe more, nowadays). Even back when I sprayed, I didn't spray often enough to keep this one clean.
    Carrie

15 years ago

Yes, Jack Carpenter definitely sells retail. You walk [or if you are lucky, Jack takes you around in the golf cart but I prefer to do my walkabout first]. You place little colored flags in stakes on the lilies you want - if Jack will sell them, he will tell you the price and he has his helper right then dig you up a HUGE clump - which you can divide when you get home. Big bargain on daylilies! I buy alot of his seedlings - they are prettier than most lilies you can order, and you get ever so many fans to divide. You will definitely need smelling salts the first time you drive in his driveway - 5 blooming acres!!

I didnt know they did fireworks in the rose garden in Tyler - that sounds like a great place to spend the fourth - fireworks and roses!!
    Judith

• lunchlady8
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I dugg iceberg up,only been in the ground four days.I planted her in the very back corner of my back yard next to a bird house pole.She may fool all of us.Thanks for all the replys.

Ann