Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tny78

How Long Can Bare Roots Roses Soak For?

TNY78
11 years ago

I know there's a thread out there that I've seen on this topic, but I can't seem to find it. So sorry for the repetativeness :(

I recently received my bareroot rose orders from Hortico and Edmunds one day apart. I have them soaking in buckets in my garage, but my question is how long can I safely soak them? I usually get them planted within 2 days, but with the late arrival of the Hortico bunch, and Edmunds not providing delivery dates, I kind of got overwhelmed with roses! ...28 from Hortico and 7 from Edmunds. I got 7 planted today, but its a 90% chance of rain tomorrow and them rain/snow for the following 2-3 days. I guess if I really need to I can heel them into a couple of wheel barrels full of garden soil??

Thanks for your help as always :)
Tammy

Comments (22)

• jerijen
    11 years ago

I remember reading about some that were forgotten for 2-3 months -- which were subsequently planted, with no reported ill effects.

Jeri

• wirosarian_z4b_WI
    11 years ago

Below is a link to one of Paul Zimmerman's videos where he says 2 to 3 days max of soaking before you plant a rose. Most info I've seen says no more than 24-48 hrs of soaking before planting. I wouldn't recommend this but one year because of an emergency I left 3 roses soaking in a bucket for 5 days in a cool , low light area. When I got home I thought that I'd lost them but planted them anyway & they made it but as I said "wouldn't recommend it".

Here is a link that might be useful: Zimmerman video

• roseseek
    11 years ago

It's going to depend upon whether you're talking about totally submerging the plants in water, or simply have the roots sit in water with the tops in the open air. Totally submerged, they are going to drown as there is no oxygen. I received a rose from a friend last year which she had sitting in a bucket of water, with the top in the sun, for five months. It's growing beautifully out back. Keeping the roots in water with the canes in the air will allow you to hold them a very long time. Of course, keeping the water changed regularly to prevent algae and mosquitoes helps. And, you do not want any organic amendments in the water as they will sour. Sub soil not containing "planting mix" can sit in water forever and not sour as there is nothing in it which will rot and support anaerobic bacteria. Kim

• TNY78
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks....here's some more info on how I have them soaking if this will help:

-Only the roots are submerged up to the graft.
    -The tops are out in the open air.
    -They are in an unheated garage without a light or window.
    -I filled the bucket with the hose and didn't add anything to the water.
    -Our temps have been highs in the high 50's lows in the 30's

Tammy

• roseseek
    11 years ago

Sounds as if it should work to me. An alternative is to heel them into the ground, completely bury them under soil to keep them cool, dark and damp, but as long as they don't freeze solid, I'd think your set up should hold them OK. Good luck! Kim

• buford
    11 years ago

I've soaked bare roots for 2 weeks. As long as the tops are out of the water, they'll be ok. You may want to add a few drops of bleach to prevent the water from getting stagnant.

I personally don't think the recommended 24 hour or eve 48 is sufficient, depending on the bare root. I like to do mine at least a week. I found that it improves the leaf out of the rose once it's planted.

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

I have accidentally soaked one for several weeks because it got stuck away in a hidden place and I forgot it. When I found it I potted it up and it took off right away with no harm done.

• roseseek
    11 years ago

For you who have "accidentally" soaked them "too long", seeing how quickly, energetically, enthusiastically they leafed out, doesn't that lead you to believe much of what we receive as bare roots are already a bit "dried out"? If you receive or purchase them earlier than you can plant, either soaking them as described, or heeling them in, burying them under loose, damp soil, until you can plant, are the best ways to keep them fresh. Like keeping your basal, parsley or mint in a glass of water until you use them. Kim

• ken-n.ga.mts
    11 years ago

A couple of years ago I received a mess of bareroots from Edmunds that I knew I couldn't plant for a couple of weeks. I let them soak for a couple of days, took them out and burried them under a 2 ft pile of leaf matter from my winter protection and soaked it down REALLY good. Kept everything wet for a couple of weeks until I could get them in the ground. Everything worked out great.

• TNY78
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So happy to hear that everyone has had good results with soaking them for extended periods of time. I've always been afraid to go over 48 hours, but I've also never soaked them less than 24.

It sounds like you all are correct in thinking that longer is almost better! Whew...crisis averted! :) Now I can take my time and plant a couple each day after work this week and the rest next weekend.

Tammy

• User
    11 years ago

bareroots or hardwood cuttings can be stored in a cool, damp area for a whole winter (or their entire dormancy period) as long as they never dry out - hessian or burlap is a good covering material. I have heard that they can stay in water for many days but I would always prefer to heel them in, in a temporary nursery bed with friable damp soil where they can stay indefinitely.

• susan4952
    11 years ago

Good to know, because I have 30 soaking and the ground is still frozen like a rock!

• buford
    11 years ago

roseseek, Absolutely. I was having so-so luck with bare roots until I left some soaking for a week and they did very well. I don't think it can hurt to soak them for a week or longer, and it probably does a lot of good.

• Glenburn
    11 years ago

For what it is worth, when I worked at rose nursery in in Oz, we would leave damaged ones and sometimes very good ones in a bath tub of water for a month or longer, yes the water was topped up, they even grew new roots(feeder roots) as in if they were going to be grown hydroponically. I have also done this at home 2 winters ago, I lost one the rest are growing fine.

Regards David.

• roseseek
    11 years ago

When you think about it, bare roots are traditionally harvested in Wasco in late December, perhaps very early January, depending upon the weather that year. They are stored in coolers, processed and sent out to whomever purchases them. I know Otto & Sons one year bought bare root Icebergs from J&P as late as early April as they ran through their entire stock of the variety and J&P still had 'dormant' plants in their coolers.

That means those plants can be stored for three, four, perhaps more, months before actually being put into soil. They are 'dormant', but that does not mean they are not using resources...stored nutrients and water. It's at a significantly reduced rate, but their cells continue processing those nutrients to remain alive. The best storage is as close to, but above freezing, as possible with high humidity to prevent the plants from either being triggered into growth or drying out. Compare that to sitting on a store's shelf in body bags of drying out saw dust, under bright lights; or, as I have seen many times, sitting on tables under shade cloth in warm sun; warm, dry wind, being handled, scraped and bumped until either dumped or "rescued". By that time, many have leafed out and some even attempted to flower. Once they are exposed to warmer temps and bright light, the auxins and hormones begin to form, stimulating them to increase their cellular activity, grow leaves, use resources faster, trying to grow. I'm sure many of us have experienced cuttings exploding into growth, leaves and even flowering, only to collapse because they have no roots. The same thing happens to bare roots very easily. Warm and bright generates leaves and flowers. Cool, damp and dark stimulates root growth.

I'm more surprised as many bare roots are planted the way many are and they GROW, instead of dying back or outright failing. Heeling them in or giving them a good soak to replace the water they have used, or lost from being held in too dry conditions is obviously the best procedure to follow. Mounding the canes after planting to reduce the amount of green canes exposed to warm, dry air and bright, hot sun until there are leaves being pushed; keeping the bud union damp, dark and cool until the plant is actively growing, produces some of the finest results.

Now, add those which hate being dried out such as Peace, Angel Face, Sterling Silver and many others with strong Foetida back grounds. Is there much wonder why so many of those types are such rotten plants? Kim

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

I think the longer soak does help because, as you said Kim, they're really already pretty dried out from storage by the time we get them. However, I'm usually too eager to get them in the ground to let them soak for very long, lol! It's really only the ones that I get too early that get to soak for any length of time. If I'm buying them late enough that it's planting time already they go into the ground almost immediately because I'm raring to go! I probably should soak them longer but who can stand the wait. I want them in the ground and growing and blooming ASAP! No patience here.

• TNY78
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I shouldn't admit it, but I ran to Walmart to pick up some bags of mulch and they had Gene Boerner and Margaret Merril (shame shamE)l. Then stopped by Tractor Supply to pick up some dog vaccines and got a Reine des Violettes...so there's three more soaking...

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    11 years ago

I just finished planting a bunch of bare roots today that had been soaking for 3 weeks. They look just fine and I am sure they will grow. About the first of December, I got an order that I wasnt expecting, about 12 plants. Due to the hectic holiday season and I had sold 10 horses out of the country and getting the vetwork, transportation, etc. organized took up all my time. I covered the soaking roses when we had freezing temps, but that was literally all the time I had to give them. One sunny day in late January, I potted them up. Was afraid they wouldnt do well and I might lose some. Well, you ought to see them today! They havent missed a beat, they are getting buds, the folliage looks great and I am ready to plant them in the ground. I really dont like doing this.......but sometimes time gets short and it is just impossible to plant when you should. This might be a different matter if it was not dormant season for roses, but noone gets bare root orders in summer anyway. I have only fertilized them twice with a combination of Spray N Gro/Bill's Perfect Fertilizer and they are really thriving! I plan to spray my just planted ones with just the Spray N Gro to give them a boost. Good luck with yours - from what the others have said, they should do fine.
    Judith

• Tuggy3
    11 years ago

Thanks for this great information. I've always wondered about time underwater vs roots only. Very helpful.
    Mary

• Melissa Struxness
    3 years ago

I have never soaked mine more then 12 hours. My Mom said she only ever soaks her bare root roses 3 or 4 hours and has had tremendous

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    3 years ago

In a pinch I have soaked for ovrr a week.