Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Teas That Max Out at 7' in Width or Less?

Posted by ArbutusOmnedo (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 27, 14 at 0:20

I'm sure microclimate and the quality of the plant to begin with have impact on long term size, but what teas will generally max out around 6.5'-7' in width or less?

As a class that resents pruning, I don't want to force a tea into a slot by regular trimming once mature. I've heard Mrs. Melanie Willermoz is smaller. Safrano is often pictured as a more compact tea. Westside Road Cream Tea is reputedly smaller. Lady Hillingdon apparently can take mild pruning.

What are your experiences with the more modestly sized teas? I'm not looking for truly compact roses, but interested in knowing which teas are generally smaller than the 'B.R. Cant types.'

Perhaps it would also be worthwhile knowing which teas are more vertically inclined than spreading. Aside from the climbing teas that is. I understand that Rosette Delizy would fall in this group?

Coastal, mild zone 10 here. Thanks for your insights.

Jay

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Teas That Max Out at 7' in Width or Less?

I'm sure some people on this forum can answer your questions (sorry, I can't), but let me suggest that you will get quicker and more answers if you ask these questions over on the Antique Rose Forum. : )

Kate

o

Mme Bravy is a small tea but probably available only as a band. Lady Hillingdon is smallish for me also. Hmm, what else...Catharine Mermet is not a huge tea, gets tallish but not that wide. My Souvenir de Pierre Notting is not huge, again, tall but fairly slender.

o

I think quite a number of teas can be kept between 6 and 7 feet once they're mature even if they have the capability to grow much larger. I cut mine back when they encroach too much on each other and it doesn't seem to hurt them a bit. You just have to be sure that they're 4-5 years old before you trim them. When they're young they need all the branches and leaves they can get. Later on they can withstand being cut back, which isn't really pruning, just a shortening of their width.

o

Thanks for the answers so far. I thought I had posted it in the Antique Rose Forum, Kate, but I obviously didn't! I'll copy it over soon.

Jay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here