Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which deep pink roses are BS resistant?

Posted by esther_b NYC Zone 7b (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 0:25

I might have room for a small rosebush in a space formerly occupied by a small heather plant. In NYC, blackspot is very much an issue. So, my first criterion in selecting a small rosebush would be it being very blackspot resistant. I would like a hybrid tea or Austen-type rose, not a single rose, in deep pink, perhaps with yellow blending or a yellow center. Does anyone know of a rose meeting these criteria? I planted an Easy Does It rose 2 years ago, and it's just wonderful. Beautiful to behold and NO blackspot!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which deep pink roses are BS resistant?

Earth Song is a possibility.

o

Titian is a deep pink which has sumptuous very double blooms. Not much scent and rebloom is excellent. I might disbud this year to get more growth. Mine has no BS except for a very little late in the season on the lowest leaves. That could likely be controlled by pruning off the low lying branches.

I don't know if any nursery is currently offering Titian. I hope someone will take it up, because it is a splendid rose. It has been hardy but a bit slow growing in my zone 5 yard, so I can't yet offer cuttings. Maybe next season.

It does not have yellow tones at all.

o

Check the Young Lycidas or Prin. Alex. of Kent thread on this forum. Are those the kind of rose you are looking for? They are both disease-resistant. Maybe taller than you wanted?

Kate

o

I've seen a miniature rose which would fit the available vacant space very well, as the full-sized roses seem like they are too large. That mini is Rainbow's End. Most websites list it as "disease resistant" although some websites list it as not disease resistant. Is it or ain't it? I lost all my grocery-store minis to blackspot rather promptly. Is Rainbow's End better than that?

o

Disease resistance varies a lot by location. In general, the further east you are, the greater the humidity, so the more likely a rose is to get blackspot, the biggest disease problem in the east. So there are roses accurately described as 'very disease resistant' in Ohio, that are disease ridden messes in my yard, and anybody else's around here who doesn't spray.

IME, minis are not a disease resistant class. They are mostly grown for show roses. The grocery store minis are among the better ones.

o

A second vote for Earth Song. Also take a look at Carefree Beauty.

Although the color is more purplish than deep pink, Darcey Bussell is tip hardy here and disease free. It stays compact, does not sprawl like some other Austins and has relatively fewer thorns.

the rose garden in the bronx will be in full flush soon. they do not spray. if you are not in a hurry, take a look to see if what pinks impress you and would do reasonably well nonspray

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here