Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whitelacey1

Buying roses on-line

Whitelacey
10 years ago

I will be buying roses on-line for the first time in a long time.

I am looking for 'Dainty Bess', 'Sharifa Asma' and 'Souvenir de la Malmaison'.

Does anyone have a nursery that they were pleased/not pleased with?

Thanks in advance,
Linda

Comments (17)

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    10 years ago

Hi! I believe I had sharifa asma from chamblees and highly highly reccomend them ! They send huge plants , very healthy and sometimes there are more than one plant rooted in the pot so if you seperate them gently you can have 2 or even 3. They are beyond reasonably priced.
    I bought souvenir at petals from the past and was very pleased with theirs as well . Great prices and I was there in person and a lady spent a good hour with me helping me and it made me feel pretty special !
    I don't have dainty bess , always loved in pics tho! I have heard great thigs about antique rose emporiums plants . I have ordered from rougue valley and heirloom and they send bands that need babied a bit but of its the only place you can find something they are still great. I had no trouble plopping them in my soil right away and letting them grow. Some people pot them up first tho.
    Good luck ! :)

• grambu
    10 years ago

I recently purchased a lot of roses on line and 3 in a local hardware store. The store ones are ok; but not growing as fast as the others. Most of about 14 were purchased from Regan Roses bare root in january and they arrived in mid Feb, perfect time for planting here in Northern Cal. I have never received such great bare roses as I received from Regan, large cans and roots and well moistened. Their service was also outstanding and the people were helpful when I made a mistake in my order. On the other hand I ordered 2 bare root at the same time from Jackson and Perkins. Never , never
    never again. I had to write to them 3 times to get them to send them and this was in March and they sent them ground shipping. It took over 9 days to arrive and they were dead as doornails, one was a living plant and the other was bare root. I then tried 3 more time to get them to send me a refund. Terrible service and plants.
    Next I ordered 3 bands from heirloom roses and they are doing just fine.
    I do most ordering online since I am a senior and it is difficult to get out to a lot of nurseries.
    Good luck with online ordering of roses. I would not hesitate with the companies I listed. Judith

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Roses Unlimited is another good place.

I also like the Canadian places: Pickering or Palatine. However, they may only send bareroot--which might be getting too late in the season for your zone.

Kate

• roseseek
    10 years ago

I think most of the on line sources have proven themselves reputable EXCEPT Grow Quest. Do NOT purchase anything from this source, period. Google the name to find numerous bad experiences and warnings all over the Net. Otherwise, whomever has what you want at the price and shipping most compatible with your budget should be great. Kim

• Kippy
    10 years ago

OMG my friend got a rose ordered from Growquest!!!!! Amazing

• roseseek
    10 years ago

If it's what they ordered and it lived, she's the ONE. Kim

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kate,

I found all three at Roses Unlimited. You were happy with them, correct?

I did look up Growquest reviews. WOW!!!

Linda

• catsrose
    10 years ago

Roses Unlimited is wonderful. For own root, so are Chamblees and Rogue Valley Roses.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Let me third that--Roses Unlimited is a terrific source of roses! When you get the box and open it, you may even find some of the roses beginning to bloom--so exciting!

Kate

• portia
    10 years ago

I love Heirloom Roses for a wide variety of own-root. They carry a fair amt of Austins. They just expanded their gallon sized roses as well.

I used to shop locally at Regan, it's a fantastic nursery but never purchased online from them.

• Melissa Mc (6b)
    10 years ago

I have ordered from Heirloom and Roses Unlimited. Both were great but Roses Unlimited was awesome and they have everything and seem to really care about roses.

• thebeatgroover
    10 years ago

Little tip for ordering online bareroots, kind of common sense; Request a Monday ship date and have them sent as early in bareroot season as you can get them in the ground. Later in the season (like now) a lot places that do one wholesale order a year are out of a lot of varieties and what's left of the others are scrawny little wimps. People will place an order in Jan. for shipping mid-April and expect the best plants because they ordered early but unfortunately it doesn't work like that, they get what's left in mid-April when their order is compiled.

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    10 years ago

Roses Unlimited has great roses, but by the time they make it across the country and actually arrive, they tend to be a little tired, but do perk up and take off.

I ordered from Chamblees for the first time this year and was really impressed with what I received from them.

I have only received bands from Heirloom. Everything I ordered from them has been healthy and really thrived.

Lynn

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

I'm not sure where the original poster lives, but if it is on the West Coast or thereabouts, yes, I agree with desertgarden. Order from Chamblees, not Roses Unlimited. Chamblees is closer to you, in that case, and is also a first-rate online nursery. If nothing else, the transportation costs will probably be less.

About ordering bareroot roses, yes, it probably is better to order early--by Christmas or New Years at the latest and specify as early a delivery date as possible--here in Zone 6 Kansas, that would be late March.

However, if you are ordering from Roses Unlimited or Chamblees (and some others) who sell potted roses (not bare-roots), remember that potted roses should be delivered only after all danger of frost is past. Here in zone 6 Kansas, they tell me that is early May, although I keep on insisting that danger of frost is practically nonexistent after mid-April.

Kate

• lainey2 VA
    10 years ago

Be very cautious about ordering online. Only order online if you have many good recommendations. I have had a nightmare experience with Florida company.

• rosybunny
    10 years ago

I love Roses Unlimited, They sent me large, robust, healthy and LOVELY plants that started blooming a few weeks after arrival and neve stop thriving. Stephanie who answers the phone is patient and lovely, even though I was this stumbling idiot when it came to roses. Pat who's the owner is also very nice and considerate in our communications via emails, though I'd recommend communicating through the phone.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

I've ordered most of mine on line because the local nurseries don't carry much of a selection. I'll double, triple and quadruple the warning about Grow Quest!!! DO NOT bother with them. I am one of the horror stories out there. Other than that I've had pretty good luck with most all of the other reputable sources. Yes, even Horitico gets it right or makes it right a fair amount of the time. But all of the other places mentioned here are VERY good sources. I have purchased bare roots from Regan on line and they were fabulous plants but they've already stopped sending bare roots out for this year and they don't ship potted plants that I know of.

This is a problem that I run into every year. By the time my season rolls around it's hard to find roses available for shipping because so many of the major nurseries are out west or down south and it's getting too warm there. That and the selection is slim because they're already well picked over by the warm zone buyers. It makes it really hard to find some roses if you live in zones 7 and below. I can't always know a year in advance what I might need or want or be able to afford so I can place an early order. Makes it tough.