Lavaglut

Nicole

Shocking Blue

Sunsprite

Westerland

Comments (67)

• barbarag_happy
    16 years ago

Kardinal! Bride's Dream! Erfurt! Sparrieshoop! Fruhlingsmorgen! Kordes is a breeder who has produced something for everyone.

PS: I have Lion's-Rose coming this year-- rarely do I order a new rose, much less one I've never seen. Such is the power of Kordes. Lion's-Rose is far&away the most popular of the Fairy Tales. Can't wait!

• peachiekean
    16 years ago

Last fall I got Kordes Perfecta from my neighbor who moved. It was a Walmart body bag planted in the deep shade of her front walkway. It had never bloomed. Well, I planted it in my veggie garden last fall and now it is blooming very nicely (except for those hot winds last weekend which left most roses crunchy). I think it is a nice rose. Hope it becomes more fragrant.
    {{gwi:245312}}

• jim_w_ny
    16 years ago

Glad to see many of the K's I have. I thought I might be the only one with such as Morgengruss or Freisinger Morgenrote.

My favorites are Robusta, Elmshorn, Rosarium Uetersen, Fritz Nobis, Ilse Krohn Superior, Leverkusen, Raubritter, Eutin and Alchymist.

• diggerdave
    16 years ago

Crimson Glory
    Bob Hope
    Helmut Schmidt
    Kordes' Perfecta
    Perfect Moment
    Sunsprite

• Joan Dupuis
    16 years ago

Liane, how do you overwinter Folklore when you are in zone 4. In checking HMF it is listed as zone 7 or warmer ? I really like this one.

Joan

• veelakin
    16 years ago

Valencia - not only a favorite Kordes, but among my all-time favorite roses

Parole (aka Buxom Beauty) - fairly new for me, but already a favorite with its huge blooms and strong fragrance.

• littlesmokie
    16 years ago

I'm surprised no one mentioned Oldtimer. Huge apricot blooms. I personally am a sucker for Vienna Charm (see attached.)

When I went into labor with my son, the only thing blooming was (the very early blooming) Maigold, so I stopped on the way to the car and cut a bouquet so I could have it by my bedside at the hospital. So that rose will always hold a special place in my heart. I'm just not a big fan of yellow roses, otherwise I would also mention that I love the fragrance of (Gamble Fragrance Winner) Sunsprite.

I agree with the poster above who said that learning that a rose I'm interested in is from Kordes carries a lot of weight and allows me to justify buying a rose I haven't seen before in person. Thus, new to me this season are Barcelona and Freisinger Morgenrote. Yay!

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Vienna Charm

• dr_andre_phufufnik
    16 years ago

'Fruhlingsduft,' an older Kordes pimpinellifolia hybrid, is a reblooming rose. It's a cross with a hybrid tea and a species rose from the 1930s. In the garden for three years, it started repeating last year. Rounds 2 and 3 weren't too bad for encores. A big rose, VERY fragrant. Entirely hardy in zone 4, too.

{{gwi:245314}}

'Fruhlingsduft'

{{gwi:232045}}

'Fruhlingsduft'

• sunnishine
    16 years ago

heaven on earth
    blue girl

New this year
    Valencia
    Blue river

I also have an iceberg tree rose.

• angelcub
    16 years ago

Most definitely Westerland, although I'm not sure the UPS guy would agree. ; )

Here is a link that might be useful: westerlands on arbor

• rosesnpots
    16 years ago

I purchased Caramella last year as an own root from Ashdown. She has been maturing nicely in a large pot and from the amount of buds on her and I will not be disapointed. I know she is a large rose, but has anyone used or seen her grown as a climber?

• regina_nv
    16 years ago

Hard to choose, but at the very tip top I would have to put Elmshorn and Lavaglut. And Liebeszauber. And Wilhelm. Red Ribbons is an extraordinary landscape shrub. Somehow, it doesn't seem fair to ignore the ubiquitous Iceberg.

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    16 years ago

I will nominate Kordes' Brilliant, Ulmer Munster, Lili Marleen, Seashell, Caribbean, Lavaglut, and Sunsprite. I have more, but not all of them are in my current garden.

• ceterum
    16 years ago

Several, but choosing at random, here are a few.

{{gwi:223734}}

Floral Fairy tale
    {{gwi:244471}}

Lavaglut
    {{gwi:245315}}

And two photo taken today
    Valencia
    {{gwi:245316}}

Caramel Antike
    {{gwi:245317}}

• jim_w_ny
    16 years ago

It is truly heartening to read all the posts about my favorite roses. I felt I was crying in the wilderness.

So may I ask where you got them? I've given up on looking for them at US sources assuming they were only at Canadian nurseries like Pickering and Hortico. And thankfully now also Palatine.

Those pictures were great particularly that of Frulingsduft. And some of the recent K's.

• Kristi North Mo zone 5b Jochims Davis
    16 years ago

I love my Pomponella. I love the deep cupped roses. It looks great mixed in with my David Austin's. This rose has blooms nonstop. came through the winter great almost no winter die back at all.

{{gwi:245318}}

{{gwi:245320}}

• ceterum
    16 years ago

Jim, you keep asking for the source and then you do not act on the information.LOL!

Palatine roses is the source for the newest ones but they also carry a number of the older Kordes (and non Kordes) varieties. They have a special relation with the Kordes family, and they are the first to try, that is, to test the new Kordes roses.

Talk to Rene. It is a really uplifting experience even to talk to him, he is so enthusiastic about his roses. But, he will tell you if he doesn't have enough info on certain new varieties yet, or will recommend something else if he thinks that your locale is not the best for the given rose you are considering.

Jim, please, promise me that you at least talk to Rachel or Rene. And I want to hear the WOW"s several times when you see their first plants unwrapped from the box you get them.

You owe us that much!

• jim_w_ny
    16 years ago

It's so great that there is a new source and that they perform so well. I do need to try them but am waiting partly to see how the new ones do.

And I still want to collect many of the old ones before they disappear.

The last I looked Palatine carried very few old ones and those they did I already had.

I noticed lately they had Tradition 95 one I got from Hortico that never bloomed. They promised to replace it but still haven't. And they have many, many old ones like a recently planted, last Spring, Parkzauber. It came through winter really well and hopefully it will prove to be the real thing.

• athenainwi
    16 years ago

I'll tell you next year which Kordes are my favorites. So far I only have Sunsprite which I really like and Caramella which is got on sale from Ashdown in the fall and hasn't had a chance to do much. This spring I planted Ice Girl, Countess Sonja, Queen of Hearts, Blue River, and Valencia. All are from Palatine. I'm also getting Folklore from Heirloom (Palatine was sold out by the time I decided I needed it). I did have Westerland, but it didn't like me much and got canker and died. I wish I knew more about the Kordes climbers because some of them look really beautiful, but I don't know how hardy they'd be.

• erasmus_gw
    16 years ago

That Pomponella looks really good. Blue River sounds like a very good rose. I'd like to hear more about it, also Seashell. It was an All America selection but I don't hear about it much.
    Linda

• windeaux
    16 years ago

Rosesnpots: There are 2 Kordes roses that carry the name 'Caramella'. The one you have from Ashdown is also known as 'Caramel Fairy Tale' and is officially classified as a shrub. And yes, that one can be grown as a small climber -- at least that's what I'm now doing. I was forced to move it to a different location because of those long, lax canes it surprised me with. Mine, however, is a grafted plant (from Hortico -- which mistakenly lists it as a hybrid tea).

The other 'Caramella' is a wonderful Kordes hybrid tea that was introduced in 1987. The folks at HelpMeFind have the two Caramellas completely confused -- at least as regards sources -- & for reasons inexplicable, refuse to make corrections.

The only source for the 1987 HT is Roses Unlimited.

• rosesnpots
    16 years ago

Windeaux

Thanks a bunch for the information. I am glad I can grow her as a climber as I have the perfect place for her. How strange there are 2 with the same basic name. But no matter, I bought her because I like her. Can't wait for the rain to stop and the sun to come out so all my roses can start to bloom.

Thanks again.

• veelakin
    16 years ago

Rosesnpots & Windeaux,

I've also been wondering about what I should do with Caramel Fairy Tale. Mine has been very stingy with bloom. The few blooms it does produce seem to always be at the tip ends of the canes, so I'm not so sure it will work well as a vertical climber. I've been considering some type of pegging technique or tying it laterally - like along a fence - to see if that might force flowering along the canes. Please report back on what kind of luck you have with it this year.

Rosesnpots, it's not all that strange that there are two Kordes roses with the same name. Kordes has a long history of doing that. Must make some sort of sense for them, but it can be exasperating for the rest of us.

• rosesnpots
    15 years ago

veelakin

My Caramel Fairy Tale (Caramella) has finally shown her face. I got her last year as own root so she very young. But here are her first pics. I keep her in a large pot because I have too many trees with shallow roots so planting in the ground is nearly impossible. Enjoy.
    Full pic
    {{gwi:245321}}

Blooms up close (spots on the leaves are rain drops)
    {{gwi:245322}}

• windeaux
    15 years ago

Ashdown prevailed upon HelpMeFind to clear-up a portion of the Caramella confusion. Ashdown is now correctly identified as a source for the 2001 shrub, not the 1986 HT. Regarding Hortico, however, the error persists. As for the photos of the two roses at HMF . . . that jumble is unlikely to ever get straightened out. Thanks a lot, Kordes!

Rosesnpots: I'd be very interested to see a photo of your Caramel Fairy Tale taken later in the season. I'm curious to know if it will be more mannerly as an own-root plant. My grafted one (from Hortico) really wants to stretch.

Great photos, NJ Rose! What's the diameter of that Brother's Grimm FT? That's one I'm now going to have to investigate further . . . LOVE the color.

• ceterum
    15 years ago

Here are a few photos of my new Kordes Roses

Laguna
    {{gwi:245325}}

• both
    15 years ago

newjersey girl, oh my what do you feed your roses???? These are the kind of pics I like to see when I drink my morning coffee and dream of what the roses may look like for me this year. What a wonderful picture. Your neighbors must drool. Thanks Amy

• rosesnpots
    15 years ago

windeaux

Thanks about the info on the name correction. After she opened I did a little digging and you are right she is a Caramel Fairy Tale.
    I sure will post another pic of my her later on in the year, say about mid summer? She does seen to be compact which if she stays this way will be a great potted climber. She has just started to grow from the base but it is tight against her main body. Since she is considered a large rose, I will be moving her from the 20"pot to a 24" or larger during the winter. If Caramel FT and the other pics I have seen of the FT series is any indication of their beauty and hardness, I will be ordering more from Ashdown Roses.

On the Rose Gallery forum I have another pic of her first blossom under the title of "A little sunshine on a rainy day".

Liz

• triple_b
    15 years ago

living next door to you folks would make cutting the grass seem not such a chore. Especially when you happen to be downwind.

• liane_z4_canada
    15 years ago

Joan, Sorry it took me a while to respond. I have had Folkore for 3 years and it does just fine. I find Help me find to be off on the zones (I find Hortico better for this). I overwinter it by mounding, dumping some some multch on top about one foot and that is it.
    It like all my Hybrid teas dies back to the ground but it is so full of vigar that it is 3 to 4 feet tall in no time. The roses on it are quite stunning.
    Two years ago we had very little snow and I was worried so I bought a bail of straw at a farm and put that on them also.
    Hope this helps.
    Liane

• blujen_gw Zone 6b Wichita KS
    15 years ago

My favorites are Crimson Bouquet and Limelight - the best yellow i've seen!

• ceterum
    15 years ago

My favorites are Crimson Bouquet and Limelight - the best yellow i've seen

Lucky you! I ordered limelight from Pickering twice and both died before they could bloom. Not very typical with Pickering roses, ala in this case it happened.:-(((

• mariannese
    15 years ago

athenainwi, Flammentanz is considered one of the hardiest of climbers in Sweden, not only among Kordes' roses. It's a bright red onceblooming climber, but with a long flowering period. Flowers are hybrid tealike and come in very large trusses. It has absolutely no scent so I've underplanted it with lavender. HMF says it has a strong scent but that's the first I've heard of that. It keeps extremely well in the vase. Flammentanz is ubiquitous in Sweden, so common that rose snobs don't want it but I am grateful to have inherited it with the house. The pictures of Flammentanz on HMF by CillaLu and Helena Verghese Borg are from Sweden.

• Mary423
    9 years ago

I planted Roxanne this year and the foliage is beautiful. Have not seen the bloom yet. I also planted Caramel Fairy Tale. I saw it planted in the same bed with the light pink fairy tale this year at the NY Botanical Garden. It looked great with the light pink even though it has so much orange in it. Same tone of pastels. I love lava glut. Has anyone ever wondered about how different nations rose marketers choose rose names? The Germans seem to have the most prosaic names for their roses. The French name them after virgins and artists. I mean does "Hamburger Red" sound like a must buy to anyone? Its just a thought.

• bellarosa
    9 years ago

I love the flowers on the climber, Rosarium Uetersen. Beautiful coral-pink and long lasting too.

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

Yes Mary, I know what you mean there....I sometimes wish 'Gruss an Teplitz'.. a very fine red rose, rolled off my tongue a little easier than it does... however, Unermudliche (Indefatigable) is supposedly well named...I hope so...I'm growing it... and it's a name I rather like too...

..over here, Korresia, Lavender Lassie and Magenta would be 3 I've always enjoyed very much...

now, I only have this one...'Diamant'...and I just love the white background of colour this provides, and is still doing so right now...mid Nov... no sign of abating..just yet...

..in the background here...it has a nice touch of red in the bud..

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

..here it is a little closer.... not a sumptuous rose by any means...but such a good stalwart....

some gorgeous photos on this thread....I marvel at them, I really do...

• susan4952
    9 years ago

Nicole. One year after the landscapers MOWED her to ground level

• susan4952
    9 years ago

I had NO idea my alchymist was a Kordes"

• susan4952
    9 years ago

Countess sonja

• lynnette
    9 years ago

I am into yellow roses and find they get BS quickly but my Kordes yellows don't. Love my Litchkonigin Lucia ( Queen of Light) Palatine has mine on their list this year.

• amandahugg
    9 years ago

Hands down....the absolutely spectacular Golden Beauty (aka South Africa). It's like a blooming beacon in the garden. A wonderful rose.

• mariannese
    9 years ago

Living in cold Sweden I ought to have more hardy Kordes roses but I have very few. But then I have few modern roses at all. My favourites are Frühlingsduft, Raubritter and my newest favourite, Rotkäppchen (Red Riding Hood) introduced in 2007.

I managed to catch three of my Kordes roses in one photo (a bad one I'm afraid, as my camera doesn't like red). The climber Flammentanz (Flame Dance) came with the house, there is a glimpse of Iceberg to the left behind the box hedge and three Rotkäppchen, in front, red with oldfashioned form. The distances are all wrong, the house is at least 10 metres away.

• rumen123
    9 years ago

Pashmina

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    9 years ago

Your photos are all wonderful and show Kordes roses at their best. I've heard great things about South Africa and that photo is glorious, Amanda. Love Red Riding Hood, too, Marianne. I've wanted it for some time. Pashmina is new to me--oh, wow. I need that one. Lovely photo, rumen.

Kordes roses and I don't always get along, but I still enjoy Sisters Fairy Tale, Blue Bayou, and have a love-hate relationship with Caramel Antique. Here's Sisters. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    9 years ago

Here's Caramel Antique. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    9 years ago

And finally, here is Blue Bayou, the bluest rose I've ever seen, and which, I believe, is no longer being being sold. Diane

• rumen123
    9 years ago

Novalis
    http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=82761

This post was edited by rumen123 on Fri, Jan 2, 15 at 7:20

• Jean Marion (z6a Idaho)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A couple more to add to my list:

Electric Blanket
    Eureka
    Golden Fairy Tale