Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoovb

Please Get To The Huntington Quickly!!

Please try to get to the Huntington in the next few days if you can. Why?

{{gwi:245528}}

{{gwi:245529}}

{{gwi:245531}}

{{gwi:245532}}

More pix on my blog pieceofeden.blogspot.com, but go see it yourself if you can!

Comments (30)

• prickles
    10 years ago

Omg, hoovb!!!

Thaqnk you so much for sharing. I'll try to go next weekend. Taxes:(

I wonder how the Chinese garden turned out?

This post was edited by prickles on Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 13:31

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    10 years ago

I only wish that I could....but thanks for those photos so I can enjoy the peak bloom long-distance. OMG, the roses there are fantastic!! (Now I'm off to your blog site to drool over more.) Thank you,
    Anne

• Kippy
    10 years ago

How beautiful!!!

FYI Descanso Free day is Tuesday

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

It's glorious!

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    10 years ago

Wowsers!!!!!!! That is just glorious.

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

Perhaps someone with scientific knowledge can explain it, but in my garden, and obviously at the Huntington, and also at the Sac Cemetery Historic rose garden, all of the roses are blooming at once, and are blooming more than normal.

Anita commented yesterday at the Cemetery that roses which are usually not blooming yet at the date of the Open Garden were in full bloom along with the others. In my garden, roses which have struggled are suddenly blooming massively. I have been trying to work in the garden, but keep being distracted by seeing things I need to take pictures of.

Does anyone have an explanation? We had 13 months with no rain, then 2 months with an average of 2-3 inches a week. Then the sun came out and has stayed out for the last 2 weeks. My roses were dormant, but of course sprang to life with the first rains, and were blooming within what seemed like a few days. They are all exploding with bloom now.

Jackie

• sandandsun
    10 years ago

Direct link to hoovb's Huntington Rose Garden In Full Spring Bloom blog post below.

A gracious and appreciated caveat emptor from the post for those in more challenging climates:

"Disease is not an overwhelming problem in Southern California's warm dry climate."

Here is a link that might be useful: Huntington Rose Garden In Full Spring Bloom

• sandandsun
    10 years ago

However, Cecile Brunner is fabulous elsewhere as well.

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    10 years ago

Love your detailed blog! Hopefully I'll get to the Huntington soon.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    10 years ago

That was fabulous !! Thank you so much for sharing with us, what an overwhelming display !! I hope someday to be there in person . Someday ...:)

• SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal
    10 years ago

In the summers of 2008 and 2009, I was lucky enough to be taking a teacher ed class at the Huntington during the summer. Going there five days a week for several weeks was like commuting to paradise.
    I hope to get over there in the next ten days or so. Need to work in a trip to the high desert too -- poppies in bloom.
    So much beauty, so little time,
    Sylvia

• Kippy
    10 years ago

Jackie. I have been wondering about what was up with the roses too.

• avian
    10 years ago

I was at the Huntington on Sat. for a rose tour with Tom Carruth, curator of the rose collection at the Huntington. The roses were incredible. I was just there about 3 weeks ago and only a few blooms in sight so was surprised to see the garden in full bloom.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

hoovb, the pictures on your blog are superb! The rose garden looks amazing and your photos seem to have been taken from the best vantage points. Thanks so much for this post. Truly a superabundance of roses this year.

Ingrid

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    10 years ago

I made it out to the Huntington with my mother today. It was gorgeous indeed!

The roses were almost all with at least a handful of blooms, especially the Teas and Chinas. I forgot to take many pictures, but I was jotting down notes on roses and other plants the whole time. We came across quite a few things that made it to the "Future Possibilities" list. Sheila MacQueen, Lady Emma Hamilton, and Lucetta in particular made a lasting impression on my mom.

The one plant that made the biggest impression on us was the apricot flowering Pomegranate in the Shakespeare Garden. Just incredible. Has anyone ever seen such a Pomegranate available in SoCal? Here's a picture that in no way does justice to the impact of the whole tree.

Jay

• Kippy
    10 years ago

Jay, I took photos of an apricot flowering pom at Descanso too. Let me know if you find that plant

• Kippy
    10 years ago

Look what I found

Here is a link that might be useful: L E Cooke

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    10 years ago

Good sleuthing Kippy!

I found this yesterday but I'm not sure if this is the right cultivar.

Jay

Here is a link that might be useful: Apricot Pom

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My neighbor also has one of those flowering pomegranates. It's a beautiful shrub and super easy care. There are a few different cultivars out there.

I'm happy people enjoyed the pictures.

• henryinct
    10 years ago

My flush began in March and some are reblooming now and some that bloomed all at once have no blooms at all now. I finished pruning in early January and most of them began new growth almost immediately so there was no dormancy. Because they were obviously growing I watered and fed so they all just picked up where they left off. And that five inches of rain we had two months ago didn't hurt.

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

Sorry to post about this again, but I think I found the culprit, Kippy.

This appears to be the cultivar I saw at the Huntington. Double, Apricot blooms as opposed to peach, variegated coral/salmon, or orange I have been finding in non-red pom cultivar searches. And unlike the previous link I had, this cultivar would actually be able to be shipped to California.

Jay

Here is a link that might be useful: Correct Apricot Pom

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Wow thanks Jay. I am going to check and see if any of the locals carry it or can get it in

• kittymoonbeam
    9 years ago

Are any of you going to the plant sale? Last year they had some nice things and this year there will be roses that were budded just for the Huntington. Members can shop Fri and Sat and then it's open to everyone on Sun.

Beautiful pictures Hoovb ! I wonder if they had someone out taking images for postcards.

I talked for a while to the artist sculpting the cement work back in Nov. He's so nice. I'm glad they are giving the rose garden some TLC now. What a transformation the garden has had. The new Chinese garden areas are lovely too. I just hope they don't build big structures over all the open spaces as time goes by.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    9 years ago

For those of you in the Boston area and under nine feet of snow (have you broken the all time record yet?), keep these photos in your mind's eye. It will get better. Diane

• jerijen
    9 years ago

It's like wildflowers -- on our run up the coast last week, there were wildflowers everywhere.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    9 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous! I have to replace a tree on the side of my house and will check into that gorgeous pom. Would love to make it to the Huntington, but the closest I will get this weekend is the Home and Garden show. Nicole Curtis is the special guest coming in from Detroit. Hope she makes it in with all the weather.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    9 years ago

Just want to remind everyone that this is a thread from last year. You'll have to wait until April to see this gorgeousness again for this year. Be sure to check the link to hoov's blog which shows fabulous photos in more depth at the Huntington. sandandsun's comment above contains the link. Diane

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    9 years ago

Those are some rather spectacular pictures of en masse flowering. Thanks for the look. Got any more?

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    9 years ago

I have to resurrect this thread again. I found one of those poms and am going to be planting it in the front between me and my neighbor. I think it will be beautiful I did get a variety that has salmon double flowers with a cream edging. Should be very pretty and I am so excited! Would have never known about this tree without the kind folks on this forum! If it gets here in time, the tree should go in on Saturday. YEA!

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21