Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
potpourri59

Recipe for home made Mills Magic Rose Mix?

potpourri59
13 years ago

Does anyone have it handy to post for me? I made it many yrs ago but have lost the recipe.

Nanc y

Comments (11)

• karl_bapst_rosenut
    13 years ago

This is a recipe for a fertilizer similar to Mill's Magic. It contains the same ingredients but the amounts may not be exact. It gives similar results.
    Equal amounts of
    Alfalfa Meal,
    Fish Meal,
    Cottonseed Meal,
    Blood Meal,
    Bone meal,
    Milorganite or an activated sewage sludge.
    I use 0-46-0 instead of bone meal as the bone meal is very dusty.

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    13 years ago

Where do you get your fish meal and blood meal? I have a supplier for all of the others, but haven't been able to find those two.

• windeaux
    13 years ago

Blood meal is available everywhere I look -- including the big box outfits.

Fish meal and Milorganite? Forget it. I might as well be looking for unicorn horn meal and hummingbird manure.

• wirosarian_z4b_WI
    13 years ago

Nancy, you may find cotton seed meal hard to find in WI, I use soy bean instead, its nutrient profile is very similar to cotton seed meal. You will find your best prices for most of the ingredients at a farm feed mill but most stuff comes in 50# bags. The price of fish meal will give you heart burn--late last summer it was over $60 for a 50# bag.

• karl_bapst_rosenut
    13 years ago

potpourri59
    High fish meal prices were due to the oil spill in the Gulf. It should be cheaper this year.
    Blood and Fish meal are used as hog feed. A farm co-op or feed store that caters to hog farmers should have it. A local garden center/feed store will order everything I need. I just have to wait a week to pick it up.
    I get Milorganite at Wal Mart. You should be able to pick it up at the Milwaukee solid waste plant.

• potpourri59
    Original Author
    13 years ago

There is a feed mill about a 40 minute drive north of me. The last time I bought the ingredients (many yrs ago) for home made magic mix..the clerks were very helpful. They had #5 and #10 brown bags already packed up so it was easy to just grab what I needed. I think I'll give them a call to see if they do have the cotton seed meal (last time I went there they did have it but again..was a number of yrs ago)

• buford
    13 years ago

If anyone lives in the Southeast, Pikes has some of these, but they are expensive. They also have bat guano! They don't have Alfalfa meal alone, but only in premixed bags :( I'm going to go to a place called Coopers Seeds in Auburn Georgia which supposedly has a lot of this stuff (but not alfalfa, according to their website). Luckily it's near the place where I usually get alfalfa, but in pellet form.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    13 years ago

The big boxes have Milorganite here (shocked me, but there is was on the shelf at HD a few weeks ago).

• saldut
    13 years ago

I can get Milorganite at both Lowe's and HD but it has gone way up in price to $10., Alfalfa pellets and Fish Emulsion from a Feed Store but they cannot get Fish Meal or Cottonseed meal, just not available anymore.... Bone Meal and Blood Meal are all over the place here but in small bags which makes it pricey.. I get Black Hen in 20 lb. bags also Black Kow in the big bags.....I'm in St Pete, Fl and go to Neeld-Gordon on 13 Ave No. just east of the overpass abt. 19 St, backed up to the RR tracks, a real olde-tymey feed store with wood floors and counters, a pot-bellied stove in use in the winter, shelves of antique farm supplies, and pens of chickens in the back !! worth just the trip to go back in time like that ! sally

• saldut
    13 years ago

I can get Milorganite at both Lowe's and HD but it has gone way up in price to $10., Alfalfa pellets and Fish Emulsion from a Feed Store but they cannot get Fish Meal or Cottonseed meal, just not available anymore.... Bone Meal and Blood Meal are all over the place here but in small bags which makes it pricey.. I get Black Hen in 20 lb. bags also Black Kow in the big bags.....I'm in St Pete, Fl and go to Neeld-Gordon on 13 Ave No. just east of the overpass abt. 19 St, backed up to the RR tracks, a real olde-tymey feed store with wood floors and counters, a pot-bellied stove in use in the winter, shelves of antique farm supplies, and pens of chickens in the back !! worth just the trip to go back in time like that ! sally