Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recipe for home made Mills Magic Rose Mix?

Posted by potpourri59 z5 SE WI (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 3, 11 at 1:53

Does anyone have it handy to post for me? I made it many yrs ago but have lost the recipe.
Nanc y

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recipe for home made Mills Magic Rose Mix?

This is a recipe for a fertilizer similar to Mill's Magic. It contains the same ingredients but the amounts may not be exact. It gives similar results.
Equal amounts of
Alfalfa Meal,
Fish Meal,
Cottonseed Meal,
Blood Meal,
Bone meal,
Milorganite or an activated sewage sludge.
I use 0-46-0 instead of bone meal as the bone meal is very dusty.

o

Where do you get your fish meal and blood meal? I have a supplier for all of the others, but haven't been able to find those two.

o

Blood meal is available everywhere I look -- including the big box outfits.

Fish meal and Milorganite? Forget it. I might as well be looking for unicorn horn meal and hummingbird manure.

o

Nancy, you may find cotton seed meal hard to find in WI, I use soy bean instead, its nutrient profile is very similar to cotton seed meal. You will find your best prices for most of the ingredients at a farm feed mill but most stuff comes in 50# bags. The price of fish meal will give you heart burn--late last summer it was over $60 for a 50# bag.

o

potpourri59
High fish meal prices were due to the oil spill in the Gulf. It should be cheaper this year.
Blood and Fish meal are used as hog feed. A farm co-op or feed store that caters to hog farmers should have it. A local garden center/feed store will order everything I need. I just have to wait a week to pick it up.
I get Milorganite at Wal Mart. You should be able to pick it up at the Milwaukee solid waste plant.

o

There is a feed mill about a 40 minute drive north of me. The last time I bought the ingredients (many yrs ago) for home made magic mix..the clerks were very helpful. They had #5 and #10 brown bags already packed up so it was easy to just grab what I needed. I think I'll give them a call to see if they do have the cotton seed meal (last time I went there they did have it but again..was a number of yrs ago)

o

If anyone lives in the Southeast, Pikes has some of these, but they are expensive. They also have bat guano! They don't have Alfalfa meal alone, but only in premixed bags :( I'm going to go to a place called Coopers Seeds in Auburn Georgia which supposedly has a lot of this stuff (but not alfalfa, according to their website). Luckily it's near the place where I usually get alfalfa, but in pellet form.

o

The big boxes have Milorganite here (shocked me, but there is was on the shelf at HD a few weeks ago).

o

Diane, the Home Depots in Woodbridge and Old Bridge have had Milorganite for years. I never saw it in Lowe's back in NJ, but I'm seeing it here, and in WalMart, as well.

I need to find fish meal here. I can find alfalfa, soybean and cottonseed pellets at a feed mill about an hour away. They grind them for no charge, but need about a week's notice. About a month ago, I came home with 100 lbs of cottonseed meal, 100 lbs of soybean meal, 200 lbs of alfalfa meal, and two bales of hay, and it cost me a little over $100. Not bad at all.

o

• Posted by saldut 9-10 st pete, fl (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 4, 11 at 16:58

I can get Milorganite at both Lowe's and HD but it has gone way up in price to $10., Alfalfa pellets and Fish Emulsion from a Feed Store but they cannot get Fish Meal or Cottonseed meal, just not available anymore.... Bone Meal and Blood Meal are all over the place here but in small bags which makes it pricey.. I get Black Hen in 20 lb. bags also Black Kow in the big bags.....I'm in St Pete, Fl and go to Neeld-Gordon on 13 Ave No. just east of the overpass abt. 19 St, backed up to the RR tracks, a real olde-tymey feed store with wood floors and counters, a pot-bellied stove in use in the winter, shelves of antique farm supplies, and pens of chickens in the back !! worth just the trip to go back in time like that ! sally

o

• Posted by saldut 9-10 st pete, fl (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 4, 11 at 17:00

I can get Milorganite at both Lowe's and HD but it has gone way up in price to $10., Alfalfa pellets and Fish Emulsion from a Feed Store but they cannot get Fish Meal or Cottonseed meal, just not available anymore.... Bone Meal and Blood Meal are all over the place here but in small bags which makes it pricey.. I get Black Hen in 20 lb. bags also Black Kow in the big bags.....I'm in St Pete, Fl and go to Neeld-Gordon on 13 Ave No. just east of the overpass abt. 19 St, backed up to the RR tracks, a real olde-tymey feed store with wood floors and counters, a pot-bellied stove in use in the winter, shelves of antique farm supplies, and pens of chickens in the back !! worth just the trip to go back in time like that ! sally

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here