Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oberci

Recommend David Austins for Sacramento

oberci
9 years ago

I specified my zone above, but more generally speaking I am in Sacramento, CA. I'm looking for the chalice or cupped shape roses, whites and peach/salmon/apricot type colors.

I also want a good repeat bloomer, and something that looks good in the landscape.

Here are a few that caught my eye:

**Lady of Shalott- particularly want to try this one as a small climber on a portion of fence.

Lady Emma Hamilton
Jude the Obscure
Wollerton Old Hall
Glamis Castle

Comments are welcome!

Comments (11)

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    9 years ago

Carding Mill is apricot/pink and reported to fair well in hotter climates. Offhand I do not recall the bloom shape.

Lynn

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Neither Lady Emma Hamilton nor Jude the Obscure hold up well in hot weather here. In cooler weather both are lovely. JtO takes quite a while to establish and repeat well. (here it was 5 years). I like Glamis Castle quite a lot but it has drawbacks: it is extremely prickly, quite prone to black spot, and many people do not like its sharp, slightly acrid fragrance. I happen to like it.

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    9 years ago

I 2nd what Hoovb wrote, plus for most of the year, Jude the obscure was yellow and it never developed into the rose I have seen in images. Glamis Castle was very healthy, had a good re bloom, and can tolerate hot summers. It did have a lot of sharp thorns.

Lynn

• charleney
    9 years ago

I have heard that the most loved of the DA's is Abraham Darby. It is a wonderful rose for me, and sure hope, I never have to be without it.
    And it is all those colors!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

Carding Mill is not cup-shaped but is a trooper of a rose in hot, dry climates, repeats quickly, not prone to disease, and really is quite pretty. Abraham Darby can get disease and/or fry quickly in the hot sun.

I really dislike Glamis Castle for its vicious thorns and "odd" smell. I would never grow it again.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Don't know about your region, but Lady of Shalott should be an excellent choice, and while I haven't grown Wollerton Old Hall, I adore the pics of it I have seen and wish I had room for it. Make sure you post pics of your choices.

Kate

This post was edited by dublinbay on Tue, Apr 29, 14 at 17:22

• kathy9norcal
    9 years ago

I live directly west of Sacramento. I don't even know if it is available anymore but Symphony is my favorite yellow and Austin rose. It stays a small bush, has wonderful matte light green foliage, and no disease. I fell in love with it after seeing it, many years ago, in a Los Angeles botanical garden.

Also, I have Chris Marlowe. It needs a small tripod or some kind of support. It has small leaves and stems but such pretty colored blooms.

Another English looking rose, not Austin, is Heaven on Earth. Wonderful colors. Starts out with orangy buds which face to light pink eventually. I would guess these would fade the fastest but they are incredibly pretty.

• oberci
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Carding mill looks gorgeous at least in online photos! It does seem somewhat chalice shaped to me though...
    Can anyone comment on the color of Lady of Shalott? Is it very orange or does it have a pink hue as well? Does it repeat well?

I'm crossing Jude the obscure, lady Emma Hamilton and glamis castle off my list.

Any others want to weigh in particularly on Carding Mill, Lady of Shalott, and Wollerton Old Hall?

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Lady of Shalott is sometimes a kind of apricot-muted orange with a hint of pink and yellow; other times more golden yellow shades are apparent, though the muted orange is always there. Below is a variety of her "looks"--she has quite a few!

Here we see more golden-yellow shades highlighted by the angle of the sun.
    {{gwi:232521}}

More orangish shades.
    {{gwi:245911}}

Both golden and orangy shades here.
    {{gwi:215629}}

The yellow really shows up on the buds.
    {{gwi:245912}}

A lot more apricot-orangy here.
    {{gwi:218928}}

Here, a muted but perfectly balanced combination of all the shades.
    {{gwi:245913}}

Her brighter orangy shades.
    {{gwi:241410}}

She's kind of like Molineux when it come to displaying a variety of different shades and colors.

She is one of the best performers in my garden--and very disease-resistant and good re-bloomer. I think you will love her.

Kate

This post was edited by dublinbay on Tue, Apr 29, 14 at 19:18

• DrPekeMom
    9 years ago

Lady of Shallott is one of my best performers in the heat. Mine gets a little afternoon shade, so there's not much fading, either.

• Sow_what? Southern California Inland
    9 years ago

Kate, very pretty pictures of Lady of Shallot. I've heard good things, though I don't grow this rose.

DandyLioness, I am growing Carding Mill, and it's holding up very well through our crazy weather, with wild fluctuations from 40's to 90's, drought, and high winds. It's a new rose which leafed out quickly, and has been blooming nonstop. I do find the blooms to hold a chalice shape through much of their time on the bush (the blooms also last well). My one caution is the hue, which is throwing my color scheme into a tailspin. Not only can pink, apricot and peach be on the shrub all at the same time, but some of the blooms appear to change color throughout the day -- sacré bleu, I'm not kidding!

Another new rose for me is Wollerton. and it's doing just as well as CM so far. I posted a pic elsewhere yesterday, but it looks as shown on the David Austin website -- really beautiful to my eye, with lasting blooms.

Yet another option might be the creamy white Claire Austin, which is performing very well for me so far. I have the very flexible stems wrapped around a pillar, and it's been blooming nonstop, even though it's still quite small.

All of these roses are new bare roots for me, so I'm not ready to make recommendations -- I'm just reporting what I've observed so far. If you need pictures, I might be able to take some when I'm there tonight.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm