Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara_ann_gw

Your most prolific hybrid teas & grandifloras?

sara_ann-z6bok
9 years ago

I have been wondering which hybrid tea and grandiflora roses are the most prolific for others? I grow these mostly for the look of the individual blooms themselves, but also like them to put on a good display and also be prolific enough to cut a few,

Through the years my most prolific have been -

Queen Elizabeth
Double Delight
Peace
Dublin
Love
Folklore
The McCartney Rose
Tiffany
Sweet Surrender
Proud Land
Pink Peace
Midas Touch

I have or have had others that are good bloomers too, but I would consider these the most prolific.

Comments (42)

• view1ny NY 6-7
    9 years ago

Bride's Dream was the best for me. Unfortunately, it's now on life support and I'm waiting to see if it recovers from winter damage.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

My two best are Crimson Bouquet and Dick Clark.

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    9 years ago

Over the years, as most of what I have now is new:

Crimson Bouquet
    Tropicana
    Perfume Delight
    Gemini
    Color Magic
    Heirloom
    Artistry
    Twilight Zone is promising

Oops...had to eliminate the floribundas

Lynn

This post was edited by desertgarden561 on Tue, Apr 29, 14 at 23:24

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    9 years ago

Producers:
    Moonstone
    Black Magic
    Hot Princess
    Randy Scott
    Pope John Paul ll
    Tahitian Sunset

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

In my garden, Elle has been the most prolific HT, but also quite good are Red Intuition and Berolina.

Kate

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for letting me know which ones are your most prolific. Kate, I planted Berolina, it's looking good.

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

The heaviest blooming HTs or Grandis I have experience with would be Orchard's Pride, Brigadoon, Arizona, and Dark Night. Dark Night is newer but it is very prolific.

Jay

• socks
    9 years ago

Elle

• bouquet_kansas
    9 years ago

Love and Peace
    Olympiad
    Beloved

• canadian_rose
    9 years ago

Rock & Roll
    Paradise Found
    Valencia
    Mother of Pearl
    Queen of Sweden (Austin)
    Ch-Ching

Love these roses!!
    Carol

• the_morden_man
    9 years ago

Golden Fairy Tale
    Eliza

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    9 years ago

My most prolific HT is Heirloom:

{{gwi:246271}}

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone for your input. Harryshoe, that's a beautiful picture of Heirloom.

• cambel
    9 years ago

Tiffany was ridiculously easy and beautiful.

Blue Girl was great because of the sheer size, but needed to be treated well.

Chicago Peace.

• Holly Kline
    9 years ago

Scentimental, JFK, and Oranges and Lemons were biggies for me. I just put in two Dark Nights, looking forward to see how they grow.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cambel - I would love to have a prolific lavender hybrid tea, Love Song does great, but it's a floribunda. Chicago Peace is such a pretty rose, how nice for it to have lots of blooms. Holly - My JFK does look promising, this is just its second season, mine is slower to get going than my other hybrid teas, it only bloomed twice last year, but its second flush was prolific. I'm hoping it will be a good one, like yours once it gets really established. The bush itself seems healthy. The pictures I've seen of Dark Night are gorgeous, I would like to know how yours does.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Talk about prolific. My sister sent me a couple of pictures yesterday of her only rose (other than a Knock Out), Touch of Class. it is not blooming yet, but she said it had at least 100 buds on it! The bush is huge and looks very healthy, can't wait to see it in bloom!

• Jim_in_AV
    9 years ago

Neptune
    Sugar Moon
    WWII Memorial
    Stainless Steel

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Sorry for the late reply.

Actually quite a few of my HT's are heavy bloomers. Unfortunately I don't remember their names. I need to post it for ID later.

Of the older ones whose names I do know are Queen Elizabeth, Peace (which didn't make it this year), Ingrid Bergman and Wild Blue Yonder. Of the new ones I planted this year, it looks like Chicago Peace.

• fragrancenutter
    8 years ago

Frederic Mistral - most prolific pink HT for me (If shrub roses are included than it would be Sonia Rykiel)

PJP II - for most prolific fragrant white for cutting

Firefighter - most prolific red fragrant HT for cutting

Granada - most prolific red/orange/yellow/pink blend for cutting

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    8 years ago

I would say Ascot is the most prolific grandiflora, and by far the largest, too, in my garden. Frederic Mistral does pretty well, as far as HTs go, but his blooms never look as good as FragranceN's Fred. My Fred always has something detracting like thrips going on with his blooms. Still love this rose, though. Diane

• Donna R zone 6a
    8 years ago

My my, fragrancenutter, Granada is sure beautiful. I have never heard of it. Lovely.

• steve_gw
    8 years ago

Marijke Koopman is the best bloomer for me...

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    8 years ago

Fragrancenutter, you have some beautiful roses. I've noticed that my Perfume Delight bushes are setting on many more blooms than they did the first two years, also Tropicana and Bewitched.

• jkellydallas
    8 years ago

"Through the years my most prolific have been -
    Queen Elizabeth
    Double Delight
    Peace"

Couldn't agree more. QE went nuts on her second flush. DD just won't quit, and Peace keeps coming, though, it's been really washed out as far as color right now.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    8 years ago

This year I'm noticing lots of buds on PJPII, Granada, Marijke Koopman, Tahitian Sunset, Red Intuition (stems short), Artistry, Moonstone, Black Magic, Tropical Sunset, Beverly, and Let Freedom Ring. Rose' ?

• Ken (N.E.GA.mts) 7a/b
    8 years ago

I guess I missed this one last year. I have a few HT's that I would call prolific. Louise Estes is at the top. Remember Me is a great rose that keeps putting out fantastic blooms all season long. And once I got Dark Night afternoon shade, it took off like wild fire. Brinessa always seems to have blooms on it. Let Freedom Ring is always in bloom. Kardinal is always blooming.

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    8 years ago

Beverly

Pope John Paul II

Cherry Parfait

Fragrant Cloud

Nicole Carol Miller

There are probably others, but that's off the top of my head.

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    8 years ago

As I think about what I have scattered around my yard, these come to mind as being particularly good in the HT and GR groups. This is probably not a complete list and is subject to change. Most of the others that do well are floribundas and shrubs.

Pink Parfait

Opening Night

Moonstone

Gemini

Rock & Roll

Grande Amore

Sugar Moon

Olympiad

Melody Parfumee

Starfire

Twice in a Blue Moon

Sunshine Daydream

• fragrancenutter
    8 years ago

Thanks everyone for your compliment.

Donna, you probably know of Double Delight. Well, Granada is one of the parents of DD. Her other parent is the white Garden Party.

• mark_roeder 4B NE Iowa
    8 years ago

1. Earth Song
    2. Queen Elizabeth

• msdorkgirl
    8 years ago

Summer Love, Grande Dame, Wild Blue Yonder

• Molex 7a NYC
    8 years ago

Queen Elizabeth, we have one planted in 1978, going as strong as ever.

• Holly Kline
    8 years ago

Dark Knight died over the hard winter. I just put in a Touch of Class, and boy is it going to town!

• msdorkgirl
    8 years ago

Touch of Class is beautiful and even with my black thumb and hesitant pruning, gives me at least 6 (right now 10) blooms per flush while rest of my roses only give me at the most 4.

• fragrancenutter
    8 years ago

Beautiful roses! countrygirl

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    8 years ago

Wow, countrygirl. I hope you get Fragrant Memory again. That is a beautiful picture.

• KarenPA_6b
    8 years ago

Fragrant Memory is a Beauty! I love her long stems and perfect hybrid teas forms. They look like florist roses, so perfect!

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

I had Jadis once. I loved it!! The first/only winter - my husband left the pot outside when it froze to the grass. I loved that rose and would get it again in a heartbeat.

Carol

• countrygirlsc, Upstate SC
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Yes, I got her again at Roses Unlimited's open house this year and she has doubled in size. she is in the sale roses they have listed and I may get another. Life's too short not to have your favorite rose! Another picture for your viewing pleasure.

• SoFL Rose z10
    8 years ago

oooh, thats a really nice one (fragrant Memory) and I've never even heard of it until now.

Heres my list (in order of most prolific)

Dick Clark (i've never had a rose bloom as much and repeat as quickly, its practically always in bloom)

Easy Does IT (this one too, its not as big a bush but it always has blooms)

Moonstone

Ingrid Bergman

Pope John Paul II

And not grandi or HT, but:

Belinda's Dream (shrub)

Dames De Chennoneceau (shrub)

Abraham Darby (shrub)

Sun Flare (floribuda)

Europeana (Foribunda)

Im shocked to see Queen of Sweden on this list, I love the rose, but mine is a very stingy bloomer. I just grafted her on to fortuniana however and I hope she does better on Fort. Seeing her on this list gives me hope though. :)