Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilyfinch

To those of you with rose pot gardens ??

Hi everyone !
I have a few questions to those of you who maintain pot gardens or ghettos. I'd also love to see some inspiring pics tho I know there are a lot of pictures here , perhaps someone has more to share from last year . I am renting in tn , and currently looking for a home to purchase by middle of summer. Been here 2 years and didn't do much gardening last year but this year I decided to go ahead and prepare for the garden that will be . Is anyone else in the same boat?
I purchased 7 antique roses from petals from the past in Alabama when I visited in March . I have tamora , carding mill , buff beauty coming from chamblees . Darlows enigma and fragrant masterpiece and Desiree from heirloom . Eden came from brushwood along with some honeysuckles and clematis ( high marks for brushwood !!)
I also plan on driving to s & w roses on Sunday after church . Looking for a couple austins and possibly some climbers. I am wondering does anyone grow climbers in pots and is it a good idea for now? I figure if they take a while to mature anyway I'm only giving myself an advantage , right?
I must confess , A couple of the antiqes I bought get to be 15+ feet so I'm a little nervous .,..
If you are potting up these roses for a home you don't have yet, do you just buy roses hoping you'll have the ideal spot for them ? I was trying to be well thought out and then that went out the window in Alabama . I bought anything that looked like I might fall in love with it ! :)
Does anyone mulch their pots ? I did and I think it looks nice but not sure if it is normal to.
I am so excited to get a rose garden going again ! It felt great to pot up some roses and some already have buds . Looking forward to your responses !! And when the sun comes up I'll get pics and post of my rose pot garden .

Comments (7)

• daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    10 years ago

I have this unnamed hybrid tea rose in a pot.
    I bought from a local market stall last year.
    It is not yet in flower this year, but is loaded with big, fat buds.

{{gwi:246286}}

I also have Pat Austin in a pot. She has been in that pot now for five years.

{{gwi:246287}}

{{gwi:246288}}

However, she hates the hot sunshine, so I have to give her a parasol in summer.
    I have also planted Munstead Wood in a pot next to Pat Austin, so that she can share the parasol, as her petals burn in the sun too.
    This last winter I potted up two Lady Emma Hamilton and three Firefighter. They are all coming along fine, but still too small to photograph.
    Daisy

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Daisy those pics are just beautiful and lush !! Love the purple ( is it a double petunia ?) ! Pat austin sure is pretty .Thank you for sharing !!
    Holly , how is oranges and lemons doing for you ? I haven't seem more than a pic or 2 of it and never in person . How long was it in its pot before it burst?
    I'm having a vision of my Madame Alfred carriee in its little pot soaking up my miracle grow potting mix like Popeye eating two cans of spinach and going crazy !! Lol

• grambu
    10 years ago

Hi Lilyfinch, This Feb. I planted 20 bare root roses in containers because I live in a condo. I was out there about an hour ago and ALL look great. Some, like the austin-Tea Clipper is already about 4 ft. tall and full of buds. I have had good luck with potted roses in the past. I think water and food are the most important. When I moved her 5 years ago I just brought the roses along in their pots. I ended up giving some to my daughter , especially, Golden Celebration, Abram Darby, and strike it rich. They became too big for my patio but they are still growing great at her home and still in the containers.
    My new roses are mostly floribundas since they are not as fussy and seem to be a bit smaller. I can cut one branch and it is an entire arrangement in a vase for the house. Enjoy them all, Judith

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    10 years ago

I moved last summer to a new house, and took all (or most) of my roses, daylilies, iris and other odds and ends with me. More than 400 potted plants, some in 20 gallon containers (though most in 3), and let me tell you, that was a CHORE! Took two months to move them all. It was insanely hot (this is texas), my roses were peeved about being dug out and potted, didn't get enough water or shade, and some died. I am ALMOST done planting everything in the new garden.

• Curdle 10a (Australia)
    10 years ago

Mines more of a permanent pot ghetto too.
    Speaking from somewhere it gets pretty hot in summer, its always a good idea to mulch. I tried mulching a few with lucerne hay (alfalfa) this year, and it seems to have helped.
    That and get them up off the ground a bit ( especially if they are resting on concrete paving). I rest mine up on bricks to try and get some airflow underneath, and discourage the ants from setting up home.
    Getting the watering right- its very easy to skip a few days here and there 'cos the weather isn't "that" hot...or the forecasts keep promising rain that doesn't materialise) then your pots start to dry out. The rose wont die..it just stops growing and flowering, starts looking skanky, and becomes susceptible to disease.

Not sure how feasible climbers would be here as permanent pot residents; I spend far too much time thinking about DIY movable trellising and how to rig up cost effective versions. Your Pat Austin is giving me ideas again Daisy :)

Buff Beauty mysteriously ended up on last years bare root order. 10 months later, shes looking ok, but would be happier trained on something..

No inspring pics from my ghetto, but Seil always gives me hope that one day I can master the art of growing in pots, hehe

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

In zone 9 I don't know how big a climber or rambler could get so it may not be possible to pot them. But in my zone 6 they never reach the size they can where you are so I had no problem potting my Blaze for 6 years. I have a Dublin Bay in a pot right now because I want it to get larger before I plant it in the ground. Hoping it takes off this season!