Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilyfinch

Anyone growing these climbers ?

I am headed up to S and w green house on Sunday and am wondering if y'all had any advice regarding these climbers. Of course I have no idea where they will go ! :) if one of these is arbor worthy let me know , so I can buy 2. I'm curious about fragrance and overall performance . Which ones blow you away every year or are just meh ?

Cl Colette
Cl red eden
James Galway
Cl pearly gates
Don Juan
Stormy weather ( will this even look good in cottagey garden ? I prefer perennials and annuals in the pink purple white blue range )

Thanks !!

Comments (10)

• Kippy
    10 years ago

My Don Juan does well in the heat but will ball when damp

I am iffy on likely Stormy Weather, I put it in a prime spot. So far it is only 48" and seems to have no desire to get taller and only blooms in the spring. Maybe that will change after a couple more years, but not sure it will get that oportunity much longer

I checked out Red Eden, at the local nursery, the blooms burnt to a crisp and it was only 18" tall in a sea of 5 foot climbers.

I love my James Galway, but so far just a couple of 5 foot canes with lots of bloom at the end (works for me because it is in the back of a bed)

Pearly Gates is one I thought I would look in to more and my Colette is full of buds and very green

SoCal here, so your results might be different

• anntn6b
    10 years ago

I grow James Galway on multiflora rootstock and it's an excellent rose. My first was lost to RRD and I liked it so well in that place that I waited, replanted it two years later and it's now back to the size of the original. It won't cover an arbor (your rootstock and soil may vary), but it, for me, makes an excellent vase shaped self supporting rose that I do not spray.

I grew Don Juans in New Orleans and Black Spot loved them. They got high and did what I wanted them to, but rose mosaic viruses seem to come with most of these. I haven't chosen to grow them up here.

• charleney
    10 years ago

Don Juan seems to be okay, but it needs a little bit more heat. I moved it to west side drive and it does better there. I also get a lot of blackspot, but it made me not forget to spray.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Colette is bushy but carefree and looks good with blue etc.

• boncrow66
    10 years ago

So far I loving my Don Juan. I also have some new cl pinkies so I can't tell you how they are doing yet. But the plant is healthy and growing well.

• view1ny NY 6-7
    10 years ago

The only climber on your list that's also in my garden is James Galway. I got it in 2011 and the photo shows it in 2013. It's on the left, with Teasing Georgia on the right. Yes, it blows me away. The fragrance is heavenly and it's packed with petals. When we built the deck I envisioned pink & yellow climbing roses side by side, and that's exactly what I got.

It came through the horrible NY winter like a champ. I just went out to try to count the buds & this is what I came up with: at least 21 canes (I didn't count the canes thinner than a pencil) and a minimum of 8-12 buds on each cane. It's hard to believe & I'll try to take a closeup pic after I recharge my camera battery. Teasing Georgia has even more buds, literally hundreds.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well thank you all for your responses !! And amazing pictures. I definitely plan on getting James , pearly gates and Colette. Not sure yet which to get two of but I'll know soon.
    View1, that is a fantastic pic ! I had teasing Georgia before and want it again for sure. Super excited to pick them up now!! :)

• view1ny NY 6-7
    10 years ago

My back yard doesn't have sun this late in the afternoon, so this is the best shot I could get just to show the number of buds on James Galway. Hope it's clear enough.

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

Colette is in her gorgeous spring flush right now. I do mean gorgeous. A smaller flower and smaller foliage on this romantica. One to be viewed up close. Bloom color varies from warm soft pink to peachy pink to apricot. It took me a couple of years to appreciate this rose as I'm used to larger showier blooms. It finally dawned on me I've never seen disease on it. Aphids, yes.