Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
white climber suggestions

Posted by mountainrose z7 Georgia (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 7:15

from a friend in the zone 7: Growing up we had a fence that was covered in some kind of climbing vine type rose with huge blooms. I would like to do this in my back yard where it is mostly sunny but kind of dappled in the afternoon. What would you advise? I would like something that really climbs and totally fills the fence (chain link) with beautiful white blossoms? What should I get and when should I plant??

I don't have a large white climber. I just ordered 'Purezza,' but the blooms will not be large.

Suggestions from the forum?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: white climber suggestions

Probably Dr Van Fleet. New Dawn is the reblooming sport.

o

I don't know how easy it might be for you to find Ilse(capital I looks like small L) Krohn Superior . In my garden this has been as close to perfect as a climber can be. It reblooms fairly well, is fragrant. I love the white blooms. I don't know how it will do in your zone, but I do know it is a Kordes rose. So it might be fine.
Climbing Iceberg is beautiful and gets big. It doesn't rebloom much unless the summer is mild.
Mary Lovett is a rambler with large white flowers.
You might consider the Hybrid Musk, Pax. You can train it as a climber.

o

Currently, I am enamored with Barfield White Climber and plan to get it this year. Thornless!

Here is a link that might be useful: Barfield White Climber

o

Try Sombreuil. Its an old fashioned beautiful climber and may be great for your zone.
I live in NY and the winter cold killed mine a few years back.

This post was edited by mikeber on Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 20:17

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here