Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilamy_gw

Good climber for central AL?

lilamy
10 years ago

I have been on this forum for many years, but moved and am just now in a place where I can rebuild my garden. My hubby built a lean to "carport" for his mower and added a lattice trelis to the side for me. I want to put a free flowering, casual climber that can handle central AL heat and humidity. Clematis will be mixed in and salvia at the base. I was thinking New Dawn or Zepherine Droughin but am not sure they would work well down here in the humidity. I want something pinkish. I am also open to a country looking bushy rose and can let the clematis do the climbing.
Thanks in advance!
Amy

Comments (7)

• sara_ann-z6bok
    10 years ago

Awhile back someone who lives in Zone 8a, in Virginia posted a picture of a gorgeous Pearly Gates Climbing rose. I think that might be a good one. I have an Aloha, which is pink. It is a lovely rose and has a good spring flush and some blooms all during the season and another larger flush, not quite as big as the spring one. It's a beautiful rose and the bush seems disease resistant. It's only fault for me, is when we have rain, the flowers become discolored and don't open properly. Other than that it is a good climbing rose. I have included a picture of a single bloom. I have some bush shots, but at the time II didn't have a very good camera and the pictures weren't that great. It can get really hot here and humid too. Hope this helps a little.

• subk3
    10 years ago

Having just done my spring pruning and training of a pair of New Dawns...just don't go there. My trellis is made from 3/8" steel and seeing how she consumes it I'm not sure a basic wooden lattice trellis would be enough for her. She is truly a beast. Gorgeous a few week of the year--but if I'd known then what I know now I would have never selected her..

I'd look at something in the tea noisette class--they are made for your heat and can thrive in the humidity!

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    10 years ago

I would second Aloha - I just planted another one. I love Clair Matin - small blooms, but lovely scent, grows and blooms well. My all time favorite climber, tho not pink, is Crepuscule - lovely peach color, lots and lots of blooms, I have several of them. Also like Pink Don Juan - bright, pretty color, very nice rose.
    Judith

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    10 years ago

Check out "Natchitoches Noisette". I love mine. New Dawn is a monster (but I love her if you don't have to go near her often). Zeffy doesn't bloom as often as other possibilities, imho, but that fragrance is wonderful and she's thornless.

There's also a Clark rose I have called Amy Johnson that is lovely, but she may get too tall for you. She's really fragrant, though! She definitely loves the heat (and sun).

• lilamy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I knew I could count on you guys and gals here to steer me in the right direction! In the dozens and dozens of roses I have grown, I have never hadma noisette. In looking at websites and web info, this is exactly the look I am going for. Aimee Vibert and Mme Alfred Carrier look like they wpuld be perfect! Thank you!!

• patricianat
    10 years ago

I happen to live in Central Alabama, so I will try to tell you my favorite climbers and I have had about 30 in the past few years, perhaps more if some of the tea/noisettes are climbers. I love New Dawn (may repeat, may not if reverts to its Dr Van Fleet self), Crepuscule (reliable repeat), American Pillar (once bloomer), Mermaid (monster, repeat), Reve d'Or (reliable repeat), Devoniensis (reliable repeat), Juane Desprez (reliable repeat and wonderful smell). There are many others, but these are my favorites. Also don't forget Alberic Barbier if you have room and patience with an impatient monster that is lovely and hard to beat once a year in any tree that your neighbor does not covet because I am paying $100 this year to save a couple of my neighbor trees from this one and Devoniensis. Had to pay landscape guy to cut them out of their trees. ;-) Nothing prettier in spring than to see your roses climbing up in trees and making a beautiful nuisance of themselves.

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

Hi lilamy,
    I'm in North Alabama...about 50 miles north of B'ham. It's been a long time since I grew New Dawn...it wasn't a good repeater for me, but was in too much shade which I'm sure contributed to that. It's a very thorny rose for a climber, too. I have its offspring, Blossomtime, now. It's almost as thorny, but a much better rose for me overall. I'm not growing it as an actual climber, though, so not sure how easily it can be trained to climb...it's marketed as a climber, but canes are fairly stiff on it. The climbing version of Clotilde Soupert or almost any of the noisettes would also be good choices here. Petals from the Past, just south of B'ham in Jemison, carries Blossomtime, Clotilde Soupert Cl, a good selection of noisettes and other climbers (they have a wider selection of roses than their website shows).

Blossomtime:

{{gwi:247029}}

Clotilde Soupert (mine is the bush form, but Petals from the Past highly recommends the climber for our area, too)

{{gwi:247031}}

Natchitoches Noisette

{{gwi:247033}}

This post was edited by pat_bamaZ7 on Wed, Apr 2, 14 at 15:24