Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rebeccah_2009

Know of any beautiful orange roses?

rebeccah_2009
14 years ago

I would like to have a beautiful orange rose in my garden maybe even an award winner or atleast one tbat deserves one . I would love some advice and some pictures if anyone can. Thanks!

Comments (51)

• york_rose
    14 years ago

Fragrant Cloud and Tropicana are also both award winners. Both are brightly colored. The color of Fragrant Cloud in particular tends to be one people either love or loathe, with little in between. Both are also strongly fragrant.

• Zyperiris
    14 years ago

Livin Easy..it is disease resistant as well

• ermingarde
    14 years ago

I love my Just Joey. I don't know if it has won any awards, and it does get lighter as it opens fully, to kind of a conch/cameo/apricot, but it is a wonderful, wonderful rose. I never have any trouble with it as far as disease, hot, cold, etc. Its flowers are huge and there are a lot of them. It never balls, opens fully over a long time until you can see stamens and then it lasts even longer and still looks beautiful. And it smells nice!

• york_rose
    14 years ago

Oh yeah, this is Whisky Mac. I grew it when I lived in the Philadelphia area. In my experience most of the time it's really not so much orange as a yellow blend (sort of an amber color), but in cooler weather the pink comes through more strongly and it can change the blossom's color over to more of an orange blend. Even though it isn't a truly orange rose if you plant a bed of orange roses it will blend well with them.

This is an AARS winner from 1976: Seashell. This rose was bred by Kordes. It's sort of halfway between orange and pink, and the base of the petals is yellow.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    14 years ago

I second Living Easy. I luuuuuv that rose. Judy

• jovy1097
    14 years ago

I just saw Shreveport at the Gardens of the American Rose Society and it blew me away. I think Livin' Easy is a great choice. Might want to think about Westerland as well. It's healthy and very vigorous.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to blog with Shreveport on it

• evie1955
    14 years ago

Here's a mini you might consider... Mine is ready for the ground.

{{gwi:247429}}

{{gwi:247430}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Julie Link

• patricianat
    14 years ago

Lafter.

• Tammy Owens
    14 years ago

I never was a fan of orange roses but a few weeks ago I was Lowes and this orange rose just jumped out at me. It was VooDoo. It is beautiful!!! Plus it smells soo good too. It is the only orange rose I have ever seen that made me just have to have it. I have posted a link to it on HMF but to be honest this is a rose that I can honestly say that the pics don't do this rose justice at all.

Tammy

Here is a link that might be useful: VooDoo

• evie1955
    14 years ago

VooDoo sure is a pretty one:)

How are your new Nor'East roses doing cherrykist?

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    14 years ago

'Louise Clements', which is a kind of pure tangerine, is truly beautiful, as is 'Brass Band' (orange with yellow reverse), 'Wildfire' (pure orange with touches of red, sometimes), and 'Lady Emma Hamilton' (tangerine with yellow reverse, lovely).

I saw 'VaVoom' at the garden center. Silly name, but it was quite beautiful, too.

• donnaz5
    14 years ago

I agree with the posters that said Livin' Easy, but for a "knock your socks off " orange...I like Vavoom !! Donna

Here is a link that might be useful: Vavoom

• bgrose
    14 years ago

I have not grown it but I like the shape and the color of Eureka.

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    14 years ago

All of the aforementioned are nice. It depends on what you are looking for. Here are some more in a variety of shades of orange to consider. Liverpool Remembers, Remember Me, Caribbean, Kordes' Brillant, Lady Emma Hamilton, Oceana, Brandy, Westerland, and Sunsation/Veldfire.

• shellys4811
    14 years ago

I've added 'Over the Moon' to my garden this year. Blooms are HUGE! Fragrance is mild. She is a beauty, though! Definitely worth a look!

• paparoseman
    14 years ago

How about Las Vegas. Bright medium orange with a lighter reverse. Bushy for a ht and grows as wide as tall.

• debbysunshine
    14 years ago

Octoberfest is an amazing Grandiflora that is truly a real orange mixed with yellows and reds. What an incredible show stopper and a very long lasting bloom. What is amazing is the ease of reproducing cuttings that take on quickly and are just as healthy. Actually amazing how the large buds open with a neon orange and yellow bloom which is so different from anything I've ever seen and as the days go on the colors deepen and are so rich of dark orange and hints of red and yellow. A real knock-out. I also have Rio Samba which is such a treat when all the flowers are different and changing through the bloom from mixed deep oranges to red and white and yellow and oranges all on the same bush. Rio Samba and this is only it's second year is full of flowers and keeps going with new blooms everyday and they also last a long time. Both bushes are very healthy and don't require much.

• reg_pnw7
    14 years ago

My favorite orange roses are Shreveport and Artistry.

Shreveport has smaller flowers in clusters.

Artistry is a darker orange, large flowers, disease resistant, some fragrance but not much. Most oranges seem deficient in the fragrance department.

• plan9fromposhmadison
    14 years ago

Westerland is probably the best orange rose. I have its apricot sport, Autumn Sunset, and am thrilled with its vigor and disease resistance.

• theroselvr
    14 years ago

I would like to have a beautiful orange rose in my garden maybe even an award winner or atleast one tbat deserves one . I would love some advice and some pictures if anyone can.

What do you consider orange? That's the question.
    Do you want a "true" orange, red/orange or a pinkish orange?

When I think orange, I think Camelot, Pat Austin, About Face, Daddy's Girls was also very showy; dicky, Morden Fireglow, Outrageous, Passionate Kisses (on the pink side but makes a statement, Trumpeter (orange/ red)

Here is a link that might be useful: My HMF rose list

• newbierosarian
    14 years ago

Summer Song:

{{gwi:247431}}

Courtesy of AndreaGeorgia at Desertrat.

• rebeccah_2009
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for everyone's advice. All of these pictures are beautiful roses. I wish I had room for all of them.

• lilc5
    14 years ago

I highly recommend Voodoo. I love this rose. I just bought another one this spring. Colors are amazing.

• rockyflorida
    14 years ago

Judy Garland is a beautiful rose, very showy. Look at pix on help me find. I have not found one on Fortuniana and the one I got on Dr. Huey never did well and died after a year though it put out some beautiful blooms in its short life.

• MagickMare
    14 years ago

I have a "Thanks to Sue" rose which just bloomed the color of orange sherbet, and smells just as nice!! It's a mini-flora and has been the first of the season to bloom... I LOVE it!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Thanks to Sue

• Terry Crawford
    14 years ago

An older rose that has been in my garden for 15 years and is an absolute favorite with luminous, sherbert orange blooms is RED GOLD. Mine is covered in blooms all summer, which appear to glow. Another plus is that I don't have any BS problems with this rose.
    -terry

• busyb813
    14 years ago

I vote for "Tropicana", because I loved them so much, I put then in my Bridal Bouquet and all of the flower arrangements. That was 30 years ago and they are still one of my top 5 favorites.

• dave_k_gw
    14 years ago

I'll cast my vote for Tropicana. Great color, classic hybrid tea form, wonderful strong fragrance, good flower substance, upright grower, vigorous. I need to spray mine for blackspot, and use Funginex. ..........Dave

• newyorkrita
    14 years ago

You want orange? Try Gingersnap. Its orange and absolutely beautiful.

• liashke
    14 years ago

Mardi Gras!

I also have Arizona, which is a beautiful orange rose in its own right, but I'd have to recommend Mardi Gras for overall awesomeness. It's consistently my super-producer, has quick-turnover flushes of blooms, is a floribunda so gets lots of flowers in general, the shape of the bush is pretty, and the flowers are so beautiful as they change color through the spectrum of orange/pink/yellow. It's incredibly vibrant. I think of sunsets with it, and it's always the rose people comment on when they come to my house. It doesn't have a super-strong smell, but it does have a very pleasing mid-range scent.

{{gwi:247432}}

{{gwi:247433}}

• Jean Marion (z6a Idaho)
    14 years ago

Westerland glows...

{{gwi:247434}}

• nickelsmumz8
    14 years ago

I was just reading this thread (again) and reflecting on how we seem to see colors differently. I like orange, but many of the roses listed are not "orange" to me -- they are too pastel. For example, Brass Band is gorgeous, but it's not orange! (To me. I realize this is all quite personal and subjective.) And Mardi Gras is beautiful, but it looks like it's red and gold, not orange. Now I'm not criticizing these roses (actually I am coveting them because I love blends in both these ranges....) So few roses are really orange juice colored, or orange peel colored, or pumpkin colored, though.

Voodoo definitely has a lot of orange in it and it's on my short list.

Are these roses that I don't think are orange called "orange" in rose speak? (The way that what I see as dark pink is often called "red" or mauves may be referred to as "blue" and so on)? Or do you guys really see "orange" when you look at them?

• Zyperiris
    14 years ago

Nick, this has been my problem as well. I am working on my new rose garden..it's with oranges and yellows..peach..

• lagomorphmom
    14 years ago

I've had my eye on Summer Song for awhile but it's not available in the States. Hortico offers it, but I'd rather not order from them...

• Jean Marion (z6a Idaho)
    14 years ago

Brass Band is very orange. You have to remember that pictures don't show how roses glow in the sunlight...

Very few roses are orange juice orange... Gingersnap and Vavoom are the two that I know of that are orange orange for sure...

• mori1
    14 years ago

How about Sundowner? Its orange for me but in some climates can have an apricot coloring to it.

• Zyperiris
    14 years ago

Just as a FYI..Tropicana is not a good orange here in the PN. It needs heat

• suzyr
    14 years ago

I have quite a few beautiful orange roses. here are a few

Leonidas - note sensitive to spray and orange in sun and terracotta with more shade florist, rose does very well in my garden
    {{gwi:225018}}

Octoberfest - this one is fabulous this picture of it really doesn't show that, look it up on help me find it positivly glows and the form is beautiful.
    {{gwi:225022}}

SuzyQ

• nickelsmumz8
    14 years ago

Hi Jean,

One of your gorgeous Brass Band pics on HMF is almost the only one that looks even a little bit orange to me. I realize that photos don't always show true color, but it is very easy to get a photo of a California Poppy that looks true orange. If 30/32 photos (I made up the number) of this rose on HMF do NOT look orange, I can't imagine it is consistently orange. I think Brass Band probably looks orange in some growing conditions and when the blossom has just opened, but to me it's still more of a rich peach/yellow blend. And this may again just be ME and MY perception of what is orange! That was the point of my post -- how subjective this can be sometimes.

LIkewise, Tropicana. Very rich color, I've seen quite a few of these in person, and to me "that's not orange." It's a really, really deep salmon/tomato red color.

I'm beginning to think "orange" is a very narrow category for me.

• steelrose
    14 years ago

Another vote for Just Joey and its huge, gorgeous blooms.

Colleen

• liashke
    14 years ago

Hmm, orange juice orange. Re: Mardi Gras, it does go through a variety of colors (pink, gold, though not really red). I would say orange is the primary color, but I see your point. Having said that, though, now I'm curious if you'd think my Arizona orange rose is really orange or another blend. I think it's less blendy than Mardi Gras, though it gets pink on the edges as the bloom ages.

{{gwi:247435}}

It's funny to read about subjective color, though, because I was just reading on another thread about subjective smell. :) Things are certainly different to different people!

• Zyperiris
    14 years ago

HAHAH..this is funny to me. SO..there is Orange..and peach..peach to me should be a light orange color with NO PINK. Apricot is pinky-orange. Then there are melon colors. I guess it has to do with one's personal description of orange..

That is Mardi Gras rose above my post? That to me is orangey melon

• newyorkrita
    14 years ago

Gingersnap. It just glows.

{{gwi:247436}}

• liashke
    14 years ago

zyperiris: If you mean the post by me above yours, then that's an Arizona picture, not Mardi Gras. :) Orangey-melon. Hmm... :>

• geo_7a
    14 years ago

I have (and very much like) Westerland & Lafter.

• avalon2007
    14 years ago

Salita is the most orange rose I have ever seen.
    I haven't had it for very long, so I can't comment on its performance and I don't know if it will do for your area. When I saw mine bloom for the first time I was shocked - saturated brilliant ORANGE - no pink, coral, peach overtones or shading, just straight up orange. I'd post a picture but it's between blooms now. I you are looking for more pictures of orange roses, search this forum for orange rose. I asked this same question just a few weeks ago and people were kind enough to send me many wonderful pics.

Happy gardening,
    Avalon

• suzyr
    14 years ago

I also have salita bought it for my orange yellow and red fence. don't know if its blooming right now, got it from vintage it will be one of my climber son this fence.
    I haven't been feeling well or i would have posted sooner.

here are a few more I have posted these before
    Prominent (true orange)
    {{gwi:231568}}

{{gwi:231569}}

Wildfire ( true orange sometimes it is orange pink)

{{gwi:225019}}

{{gwi:247437}}

Charisma

{{gwi:225020}}
    SuzyQ

• jont1
    14 years ago

There are so many beautiful shades of orange and that many roses to represent every one. I grow alot of oranges and like them all.
    Chihuly
    Marmalade Skies
    Tuscan Sun
    Disneyland Rose
    Vavoom
    Gingersnap
    Chris Evert
    Octoberfest
    Folklore
    Catalina
    Lady Bird
    Prominent
    Cary Grant
    About Face
    Denver's Dream
    Mander's Orange Dream
    Glowing Amber
    Liverpool Remembers
    Christopher Columbus
    Salita
    Raphaela
    Pat's Choice
    Malibu
    Miss Elvis
    and a couple of others I can't think of at the moment.
    There are lots of apricot blends that contain some orange tints as well such such as DayBreaker.
    It is one of my favorites!
    John

• jason101other
    14 years ago

Livin' Easy!!! Highly, highly recommend this one. Its blooms positively glow and its foliage is gloss, med/light green similar to Julia Child's. Mine is ALWAYS in bloom, one of the first to bloom every year and blooms all the way into hard freezes.

Cl. Westerland. Love it.

• gldno1
    14 years ago

My vote is Westerland if you have the space.

I love in southern MIssouri where growing roses is a challenge. I have had this rose three years and sprayed maybe twice just because I had the sprayer in hand for other things. She is gloriously fragrant, vigorous and so far, disease free.

{{gwi:247438}}

{{gwi:247439}}

Sponsored
R Webb Interiors Design Firm
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Chesterfield County's Highly-Personalized Interior Design Firm