Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to recognize a climber/rambler vs a regular rose?

Posted by ittayd none (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 9:20

Hi,

I'm completely new to roses and gardening, so forgive me if my question is very basic (I couldn't find it in the FAQ).

I bought a bunch of roses. According to the nursery, they are climbers. But to me they look like ordinary plants. I don't see any ways they could cling to whatever they are climbing on (in my case steel posts). This is vs vines for example that have "tentacles" for latching.

So, how do I recognize a climber (or rambler, I understand both climb, but can't figure out the distinction in the final result)

Regards,
Ittay

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to recognize a climber/rambler vs a regular rose?

Climbing roses are rose bushes with long, flexible branches that can be tied to the fence. They will never develop 'tentacles' like a grape vine. Ramblers are extremely large climbing roses that bloom once per year (in spring). A climbing rose will cover an archway. A rambler will cover the whole garage.

When your new roses become established, they will send up new canes (branches) that will be soft and flexible. These are the canes that you will tie to the fence. You can use various materials to fasten the canes to the fence (twine, old pantyhose, etc). I hope this helps.

o
RE: how to recognize a climber/rambler vs a regular rose?

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 10:34

As Cecily said climbers do not have tendrils, like vines do, to latch on to things and climb on their own. They must be trained and tied to trellises and supports in order to do climbing. If left untrained or unsupported they will form large fountaining bushes.

Climbers take at least 3 years, and more often 5, to begin to climb. It takes that long for the plant to build up a large enough root ball in order to feed and support those long canes all the way to the tips. And during that time they need to have support behind them. It's thought that if they know there is something there to support them they will then send out those long canes. If not they may not produce them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here