Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sally Holmes!

Posted by queenbee_1 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 26, 12 at 9:25

I have never really like the single bloom roses. They were ok but for some reason--I wasn't drawn to them... Well, I saw a picture of SH and thought she was cute, she met my list of needs for a spot in the front of the house so--I purchased two... Planted them in Feb and she is growing beautifully! She is full of buds and blooms, she has long canes and she looks prefect in her new home! I am so happy that I might need a few more single bloom roses..LOL

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sally Holmes!

queenbee - the same thing is happening to me. I passed by Sally Homes 2 years ago thinking - not my style. But saw her last week in full bloom, and found her to be gorgeous. Then, went musing through our local nursery where unfortunately many roses are not tagged. Found an absolutely stunning single yellow - blooms rather large about 3 1/2" in diameter, light fragrance, and just something about it really knocked my socks off. I think I may have to go back and retrieve it, then figure out what it is. And now the eyeconics - aren't they something!

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 26, 12 at 12:07

The singles have a way of hooking you like that! I never cared much for them either until I found Dainty Bess. Now I have several!

o

i "started" with roses loving the singles...mutabulis, altissmo, dortmond, mrs. oakley fischer...but soon got into the austins, and the over stuffed petals, which i love, but yes, sometimes these really speak to you. and sally holmes is one i am eyeing. saw her at the nursery looking so shabby, that i passed. bent blooms, rain spotting, but i keep driving by one on my carpool, and might purchase one.

is y'alls on root stock? this at the nursery was.

o

The one I planted in front of our neighbor's house is covered in blooms right now -- so pretty!

o

Our sally Holmes, from Heirloom, is a huge tree -- an impressive sight. Heirloom's mother plant, grown from a cutting from the original seedling in the breeders garden, has not been budded, and if they're still working with that stock, I'd recommend it strongly.

Jeri

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here