Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
embee4488

Arbor Collapsed

embee4488
15 years ago

As happened to another poster, my wrought iron arbor/seat completely broke and collapsed. It had been rusting, and I was going to replace it soon, but the high winds did the job for me.

I had a 5 year old Awakening intertwined on it, and in order to remove the arbor, I had to cut it down to the ground! So now I am faced with the decision whether or not to re-grow it or dig it up and buy another climbing rose.

My friend's husband is making a treated wood arbor for me, so I will have a more substantial structure on which to train roses.

My question is this: What climber would do well in our humid conditions (I do spray), and would be supple enough to work through wood lattice work? The Awakening has very thick canes and I often had to cut off the ones that were too rigid to bend.

I am open to color except for yellow.

Thanks!

Mary

Comments (15)

• odyssey3
    15 years ago

I saw a beautiful wooden arbor with Viking Queen--it made me buy one for myself.

• embee4488
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the recommendation of Viking Queen. I looked it up on HMF, and it truly is beautiful, but it says it only blooms occasionally after the first flush.

The thing about Awakening is, it bloomed about 10 months a year here, and always had tons of flowers.

Is there any other climber that does well in my conditions and that flowers all throughout the season?

I don't want much, do I? :)

Mary

• prairielaura
    15 years ago

Consider Parade---I've just bought it at ARE, and it does have beautiful blooms. They recommend it for hot and humid climates.
    Laura

• jerijen
    15 years ago

Whatever rose you get, and whatever structure you settle on, DO NOT WEAVE CANES THROUGH THE STRUCTURE!!

Roses, almost always, will outlast arbors.
    TIE the canes to the OUTSIDE of the structure.

We have some roses that have gone through at least two arbors, over the years. Once the rose is mature, it will usually hold the arbor up, until you're ready for a replacement. You'll be able to remove the old, and slide in the new.

It's not at all traumatic -- unless you've done that weaving thing.

Jeri

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    15 years ago

Don't do the weaving thing.

Do get a new arbor.

Don't bother with a new rose unless you really want one.

• embee4488
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey, thanks for telling me about not weaving! In all the years I have had roses, and since this was my only climber, I never even heard of it.

Also, thanks for the Parade recommendation; I am on the way to HMF to look at it right now.

Mary

• patricianat
    15 years ago

Clair Matin. Much healthier and a more frequent bloomer. I have them both within 8 feet of each other in my climber/rambler tunnel.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    15 years ago

The thing about Awakening is, it bloomed about 10 months a year here, and always had tons of flowers.

Why not just let Awakening grow back?

• carla17
    15 years ago

Mary, a belated birthday to you! What a bad thing to have happen, arbor collapsing. DH and I are going to attempt to build one this year :-)

Carla

• embee4488
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks all for the information, and thank you, Carla, for the birthday wishes!

I have decided to both let Awakening grow back, and to look into Claire Matin. I contacted Pat at RU and she had similar advice.

:)
    Mary

• buford
    15 years ago

embee, sorry to hear that. It was my umbrella trellis that broke at the base, but as jeri said, the rose is now holding up the trellis. Well, as well as it can, it's listing backwards into the cleyera behind it. I'm just going to stake it for now. These winds are too much! It was very windy again today.

• patricianat
    15 years ago

You need a big trellis for New Dawn or Awakening.

{{gwi:241538}}

• patricianat
    15 years ago

{{gwi:238158}}

• carla17
    15 years ago

Mary, Clair seems like a beautiful choice.

Carla

• linrose
    15 years ago

Awakening is a big girl and needs good support. I'm glad you are considering letting her grow back. I have a treated wooden pergola she's going strong on.

{{gwi:247831}}