Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help me choose a rose

Posted by debinnh NH 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 10, 14 at 9:38

I hope you find this post fun. I have some roses in my garden with a name that represents where I went on vacation: mardi gras (NOLA), Queen Nefertiti (Egypt), Tuscan Sun (Italy)...

This year I am going to Louisville, Nashville and Memphis. I already plan to replace a rose or two in my garden and thought it would be fun to find a rose that represents one of these places. So far I have found Mint Julip and Dolly Parton as possibilities.

I would prefer something not very fussy that can withstand NH winters without a lot of babying. Any suggestions? Most of my roses are scented, but that is not a requirement and I have had bad luck with mini roses.

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help me choose a rose

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 10, 14 at 12:10

Look at Whit Wells' roses He has several mini and minifloras named for Louisville, Nashville and Memphis.

o

What a fun idea! If you don't like the idea of minifloras, there's always Kentucky Derby, a reasonably hardy red HT that I think Rogue Valley sells. There's also Elvis and Miss Elvis that I haven't tried that are Edwards HTs, available from Roseland. You have a lot of music related options for hardy easy care roses from Buck - some that have thrived with no BS to speak of in my zone 4 pocket include Pearlie Mae (named for Minnie Pearl), Mountain Music, and Folksinger. Allamand Ho and Country Dancer would also be good options from Buck with music/Nashville connections.

Minis and minifloras are pretty easy to winter protect if you want to go that route - Blue Suede Shoes is one I noted, and there are probably other options from other Elvis songs. "Falling in Love" (with you) is one that comes to mind that is pretty hardy for me.

Have fun and let us know what you decide!

Cynthia

o

Thanks for the ideas. I might take my chances on Kentucky Derby, it is out of my zone, but will definitely get Zepharine Drouhin (get it a "Bourbon" rose). I am also looking at mountain music, duet, tootsie (the name of a bar in Nashville we went to) or Dolly's forever rose. In my search, I came up with some for past trips: Golden Buddha for the time I spent in India, Seattle Sunrise where my son now lives, and Belle Epoque which is the name of the hotel we stayed in Venice last year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here