Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jim_w_ny

I need a few, good hybrid teas

jim_w_ny
16 years ago

I have a spot for 6 or 8 in a place that won't even grow dandelions. I've had a number of HT's there that have all died. Partly due to lack of hardiness but also most likely the soil there. So....having a sizeable greenhouse to over winter I finally tumbled to the idea, why not containers? Dah..

My wife bought 3 potted HT's from WalMart last spring that have done well in the GH.

I like HT's that open to attractive flowers not the more common floppy messes with petals every which way and stamens showing. Fragrance would also be nice and good for cutting.

Oh yes, size of container and which commercial potting soil?

The spot is in a corner of the house outside the backdoor with good circulation, the addition is on piers shielded by lattice work so the air gets underneath.

Suggestions?

Comments (37)

• mgleason56
    16 years ago

My first suggestion is Acapella. Exhibition type blooms, and wonderful fragrance. I see it is now also available at Heirloom, whereas it use to be only available via Hortico. You need this rose.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Acapella from HMFR

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

Steve at Wisconsin Roses has Hot Princess on R. multiflora rootstock. Get it. Get Moonstone too. He's out of Parole, but keep that in mind too (Palatine also had Parole, but they might be sold out too).

• ceterum
    16 years ago

Mgleason, you are positively an enabler. I ordered Acapella from Hortico despite my better judgment. So far the tiny plant is alive and better has good fragrance if it get so some size.

I cannot wait seeing a bloom and sniff the fargrance. I truly wish you to be right.

• ceterum
    16 years ago

Jim, have you tried Folklore?
    Or, check out the new Freelander HT's at Palatine. It is high time that a Kordes lover order a few new Kordes roses from the personal representative of Kordes in Canada. Not to mention the quality of the roses Palatine would send you. A lot are sold out, but you can discuss the pros and cons with Rene. He knows his roses, gets his info straight from Kordes and, most importantly, you will get excellent roses from him.

I am a bit hesitant to recommend Pickering now since I got some bad, puny roses from them this year - with the exception of the HPs. Hortico's roses are alive but about /5th of the size of Palatines.

Here is a link that might be useful: Papaltine roses

• anntn6b
    16 years ago

Jim,
    Is your greenhouse kept above freezing?
    If so, you might enjoy one or two HTs on Fortuniana. These would require large pots and they would keep growing through winter.
    But I think the scientist in you would be really interested in how a very different rootstock can force growth.
    Ann

• mgleason56
    16 years ago

ceterum - You'll love Acapella! Speaking of Palatine, got an email from Rahel saying my roses were on the way! Can't wait!!!

Jim, ceterum is right! Why not look into the freelander roses. We all know your love affair with Kordes, so these should be right up your alley.

• dmg2242
    16 years ago

Have to jump in and suggest Tahitian Sunset. This rose is my most robust HT--a bloom machine and is always very lush with leaves (I have to thin them out for air circulation), disease resistant (never has BS) and a bloom machine. Nice scent, too. I have it in a bed but I think you could grow it in a big pot. It got about 4-4-1/2 feet tall last year in a VERY sunny bed.

I saw a very healthy looking TS at the nursery yesterday and am thinking of growing it in a big ceramic pot in front of my place.

Denise

Here is a link that might be useful: Tahitian Sunset

• athenainwi
    16 years ago

Well, that was incredibly effective Mgleason. I just emailed Heirloom to add Acapella to my order.

I'll suggest Marilyn Monroe for you, Jim. I love mine - perfectly formed creamy roses with a lovely scent that last on the bush or in a vase. If you get it from Palatine then you'll have a huge, thorny, monster of a bush that will give a ton of blooms the first year. Try some of the Freelander roses from them. I'm getting Queen of Hearts, Ice Girl, and Countess Sonja from them this spring.

• mgleason56
    16 years ago

We're even then. I just got "In A Cave". Guess I don't have to tell you what artist.

• athenainwi
    16 years ago

Haha. Yep, we're even.

• Molineux
    16 years ago

So what you really want is a rose with high centered flowers that don't completely open out of the spiral. Here is a tip: when reading flower descriptions look for the words "exhibition quality". You might also wish to contact your local American Rose Society and ask the exhibitors for recommendations. Here are a few suggestions:

Paradise (mauve)
    St. Patrick (light yellow)
    Veteran's Honor (red)

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

Patrick reminds me, Bob Martin's web site, Roseshow.com has the list of top exhibition roses in the US.

• karenforroses
    16 years ago

Jim, Silver Jubilee is an old but extremely highly rated (8.6) hybrid tea. I got mine on its own roots from Northland Rosarium and it is a stunner. Quite disease resistant for me and an excellent rebloomer, with lots of those amazing pinky/coral/silvery blooms. I grow it right in the ground in my zone 5 garden, with just a few shovels of shredded bark for winter protection and she does fine. She should do wonderfully well for you in a pot.
    {{gwi:248000}}

• jim_w_ny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry Karen but that is just the kind of HT I don't like. Petals that furl and look pointed. I know that is typical of HT's in the past but new ones sometimes are more like, I hate to say it, Austin roses. Have a look at Adolf Horstmann, in HMF, that opens with almost an OGR look.

Oh yes what about the size of pot and soil for it?

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

So you don't like quilling?

Touch of Class. I've not seen that one quill.

• karenforroses
    16 years ago

Jim, If you love the look of the OGR or Austins, why not try a couple of the smaller Austins in a pot. I've found they are much hardier here in zone 5 than hybrid teas, and I overwinter some in my garage along with hybrid teas. Here's Jubilee Celebration, but Tamora would be another good choice, or Sophie's Rose, as they both stay a 'pottable' size here.

{{gwi:214717}}

• jim_w_ny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I've done some research in the ARS Encyclopedia. It seems in the "A's" there are a lot of those that I think I like based on the picture. Abbaye de Cluny, Acapella, Adolf Horstmann, Andre le Norte !!, Anna Pavlova, Anneliesse Rothenberger (Oregold), an old Tantau, 1970, but not of the usual HT style, and Auguste Renoir. Many or most are Meilland roses in the Romantica series. Tantau also seems inclined that way.

Now as to using Austin's. Possible but another feature of HT's that is what I'm looking for is the generally one flower per cane. Not typical of Austins or other shrub roses.

Few of the above are widely available. Hortico as usual concerning European bred roses is often the only source.

• mgleason56
    16 years ago

Geez Jim, just think what'll happen you get to the "B"'s! Auguste Renoir is a realy nice rose. Take a look at Imperatrice Farah. One of my tallest HT's, and not too many problems with disease.

athenainwi - Now my turn to enable again. You and hubby check out the link below. My favorite of all time.....

Here is a link that might be useful: Best Band You Never Heard Of

• jim_w_ny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I finished my browse of the ARS Encyclopedia and came up with about 30 HT's that I might like. Then I checked them in HMF and narrowed them down to 6. Know anything about them?

Adolf Horstmann
    Just Joey
    Poetry in Motion
    Renaissance
    Tivoli 150
    Violon d'Ingres

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

I've never heard of half of them. Just Joey might be winter tender.

So, I'm still confused Jim. Do you like high-pointed spiral centers or not? I get no quilling, check.

• karenforroses
    16 years ago

JIm, I love Just Joey, but it is extremely tender in zone 5. I've lost 3 of them and have finally given up. However, if you're going to keep them in pots and overwinter them in a garage, you might be able to keep it going.

• jim_w_ny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I don't like spiral centers or frilled outer petals.

Check out Just Joey on HMF. That will give you an idea of what the newer HT's are looking like. By the way it is currently the world's most popular rose!

Yes Karen, after having fought the hardiness battle for years, I'm finally going to schlepp them into the greenhouse and out every Spring. It stays well above the outside temp.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

I know Just Joey.

OK, thanks. Your version of an "attractive flower" in a HT differs from mine (and my "judge" brain). Decorative form sounds more like what you like. Actually, sounds more like the older HTs, and I'm talking La France old.

• barbarag_happy
    16 years ago

Roses Unlimited is a treasure-house of older HT's, and I believe Vintage is as well. I can't speak to the hardiness issue, been years since I've lived anyplace cold. Take a look at these listed by RU: Anna Pavlova (!), Bewitched, Caroline de Monaco, Century II, Color Magic (tender), Confidence, Curly Pink (hardy), Diamond Jubilee, Duet, Duftzauber, Jardins de Bagatelle, Joyfulness, Kardinal, Maid of Honor, Marijke Koopman, Medallion. Don't know if any of these will suit your taste, but each beautiful in its own way. Haven't seen some of them for years but I remember them vividly. There's a lot I D O N " T remember these days, but I remember these. (Oh, I went A thru M & stopped...!!!)

• ceterum
    16 years ago

Anna Pavlova, according to her breeder, peter Beales, is a very finiky rose that does not open in cold/coolish weather.

Check out Frederic Mistral instead.

• predfern
    16 years ago

Rouge Royale (Romantica) has big old fashioned blooms.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rouge Royale

• steelrose
    16 years ago

I've grown Just Joey in two different gardens with very different conditions (although both in California.) No spray in either and it's done very well. Visitors always remark on the big, colorful blooms.

Good luck with your search,

Colleen

• canadian_rose
    16 years ago

Oh my goodness, Pappu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is incredible!!! They should be on a magazine cover!!

Carol

• veilchen
    16 years ago

I'll say it once more. If your unattached-from-the-house greenhouse is not supplementally heated most of the winter, it will get too cold in there in zone 5 to keep the HTs (or just about any rose in a pot) alive.

You say it is always "well above the outside temp". Have you checked the temp in the greenhouse during the night when the sun is not shining on it? My greenhouse temp reaches nearly as low as the outside temp on cold nights. If it is 15 below and your greenhouse is 10 below, that won't help you much.

There are ways you can insulate and preserve heat but you have to be prepared to go through a lot of effort before you bring in the roses for the winter.

• jim_w_ny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

veilchen

Of course you couldn't know how my greenhouse was made and why it is much warmer than other GH's you may be familiar with. Mine I think is rather unique.

First the North side is against the garage wall. It is 8x15x9 in height. That is the glassed part separated by a glass wall and door between the potting shed which is 8x12'.Tne size was determined by the concrete foundation from an old farm building I tore down.

Then I have evidence, I over wintered 3 HT's and 3 climbers in pots last winter. All are doing fine and are already leafed out.

I'm lucky that I have a neighbor that is a craftsman in stained and other glass windows. He once had an order for double insulated glass windows that were delivered with the wrong color frames. The manufacturer replaced them with the right color. So he had all these other windows left over and no likely use for them ever. So he gave them to me. I made my greenhouse from them and and roofed it with double I think acrylic plastic, expensive, the kind I think that is used in commercial GH's.

I have an indoor outside thermometer but never installed it. Actually I just discovered it behind some other stuff.

When I lived in S. CA I grew a number of HT's but never really liked their form. Except Queen Elizabeth, a QR, which I now realize has the form I like. Basically flat I guess curved petals but not furled as most HT's are inherited from their Tea rose ancestors. QE looks good from start to finish wheras the classic HT's in the end is a mess. Prized for their look before they got that way. But lately there have been a number of "new" HT's like the Romantic series from Meilland that look good from start to finish. Well I know I'm in the minority as lots of people love the spiral slowly unfurling flower. I have to be different!

• ceterum
    16 years ago

So, check out the roses in the Romantica series. I love most of them, and many are reported winter hardy - this helps even if you keep them in a greenhouse in the winter.

I could not link "Romantica" on HMF as I used to because this search didn't v come up.

Here are some I have been growing for many years

Frederic Mistral - very fragrant, excellent for cutting ( I know that you don't care much about fragrance but maybe your wife love to have a few fragrant bouquet in the house)

Rouge Royale (Caruso) extremely fragrant and if you cut it in bud stage it lasts for a week in a vase; very Austin- like flowers except that Austins are not good cut g flowers and Caruso is a very good cut flower

Bolero - low growing, very fragrant, quite healthy

Johan Strauss - great cut flower, blooms a lot, green apple scent; can have thrip problems

Traviata - perfect foliage, very tall, no scent

Eden shrubby climber but I am not sure that it is feasible in pot

Tschaikovski - accoring to my husband, it is our most fragrant rose; I doubt that but it is beautiful, tall and narrow; not a good cut flower
    Yves Piaget - looks like a peony; low growing so it is suitable for pot culture; very fragrant
    Johann Strauss

Not Romanticas but Meillands that worth checking out:

Pink Peace- this in my hot climate is actually better for cutting than leaving blooms on the bush; flowers last much longer in the house

Jardins de Bagatelle

Papa Meilland - the best red I ever smelled.

----
    Tantau Augusta Louise should be a rose you could like but I just planted in January so I didn't see any blooms yet. It is a HT from Tantau's "Nostalgie' series, bloom looks like petal packed and should be fragrant.

Mcgleason or Beth could tell you more. Beth have pictures of this rose.

And, !!! Check aout Caramel Antike

{{gwi:248005}}

{{gwi:248006}}

- that should be a perfect rose for you.
    By all means do check at Palatine Kordes Freelandeer HT-s -they are florist roses bred for garden use. Nobody knows more about them than Rene, owner of Palatine.
    OK, I must run

• ceterum
    16 years ago

So get a few roses from the Romantica series; some of them reported to be quite winter hardy.

I have Abbaye de Cluny, Bolero, Feredric Mistral, Johann Strauss, Eden, Traviata, Tschaikovksy, Jean Giono (I would not recommend it for zone 5), Rouge Royale, Yves Piaget with the exception of Eden and Traviata they are all very fragrant and will give you the bloom form you like.

• veilchen
    16 years ago

ok, being attached to the garage wall is definitely a plus. And if you were already able to overwinter roses in there, then I'm sure you'll be successful.

I wish I had a greenhouse like that. Mine is polycarbonate-sided and loses nearly all its heat soon as the sun goes down. It is also free-standing and not attached to the house. I do have some friends who have a glass greenhouse room attached to their main house, but theirs still got too cold at night during the dead of winter. Yours must be better insulated.

Good luck, and make sure you purchase as many large lightweight pots as you can get, as you have a lot of choices! And in pots you can control the soil and nutrient conditions so you won't have the same issues as in your gardens.

• triple_b
    16 years ago

Memorial Day.

• the_morden_man
    16 years ago

Hey Jim,

I know you like singles since you often tout Robusta's praises. By all means look at some of the more frilly HT's, but do yourself a favour and take a good gander at both Dainty Bess and Mrs. Oakley Fisher. The latter is a little tender and will require good protection, but the former is a very tough and rather hardy HT. Both are excellent bloom machines.

• Jean Marion (z6a Idaho)
    16 years ago

Sterntaler (Golden Fairy Tale)

Here is a link that might be useful: Sterntaler