Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
twinkletoad

Westerland or Royal Sunset better for zone 7B?

twinkletoad
11 years ago

Hi all,
I'd like to add a climbing rose to the front of my brick house near the front stoop. I'm partial to apricot/peach/corals, but I would consider white or pink. My front door is painted a bright coral with orange undertones.
The two I have in mind are WESTERLAND and ROYAL SUNSET- and I'm leaning towards Royal Sunset. It would be on an East facing wall surrounded by gardenias and azaleas. This spot would get some shade, but at least half a day of sun.
Can anyone in my area tell me if one of these might work better than the other? It's important to me for this rose to be a fast grower, good rebloom throughout the summer and have a strong fragrance. Any recommendation is welcome. Thanks so much!

Comments (14)

• lainey2 VA
    11 years ago

Both are gorgeous, but Westerland stops blooming in hot weather.

• dmny
    11 years ago

The Cl. Royal Sunset growing over an arbor in the Southampton Rose Society's rose garden at the public library garden on LI is exquisite. Big fragrant blooms throughout the growing season. Little disease problems that I can see, but I'm sure they spray.

• twinkletoad
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great info, thanks! We certainly get hot here, so that is something to consider about Westerland. I looked up photos of the Southampton Rose Society's Royal Sunset you mentioned. It's gorgeous!

Can Royal Sunset take the humid heat and a little shade? Does RS take a while to establish or does she take off pretty quickly the first year? Is her growth more vertical or horizontal?

I am also thinking of intermingling a white climber with the chosen rose. Maybe SOMBREUIL or WHITECAP?

• aviastar 7A Virginia
    10 years ago

I can't speak from personal experience yet (my RS climber just went in a few weeks ago), but I have been given the excellent advice of *patience* for all the climbers- they are all slow to establish.

I can say that my RS band was from Rogue Valley and was large and healthy, and that I went straight to the ground with her and she seems to be happily putting out new growth a few weeks in.

I say go for it! The pictures of this rose sold me in a heartbeat and I can't wait to see her do her thing!

• twinkletoad
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement, AviaStar. As soon as I can locate one, I think I will get the Royal Sunset- good luck with yours!

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    10 years ago

I'm a little late, but I'm in your area and grow Royal Sunset :) She's a favorite!

I liked her better in more shade. I moved her, and her color gets more yellow now. I liked her without the golds/yellows better, lol. She bloomed in a lot of shade, really.

She takes a while to get tall and full. She's healthy, so it's not that kind of lack of vigor. I just find her a little slow to build up. It's worth the wait, though! And she blooms young, so you'll see flowers. She just doesn't get real height for a while.

She smells so great, too! I wouldn't be without her.

• dmny
    10 years ago

For the white in question I would choose Iceberg. May need some spraying to stay healthy, but should look great paired with Royal Sunset. Anyone else with suggestions for a white?

• twinkletoad
    Original Author
    10 years ago

dmny- thanks for the white recommendation. Iceberg sounds like a good choice. I'd really like to find something that repeats well. I ordered Sombreuil without researching the thorns and was shocked when I pulled it out of the shipping box! The prickles are huge, so probably not the best choice for next to the front door! Something about those jagged edges doesn't say "Welcome." Anyway, I found a place for Sombreuil in my side yard near the back deck where hopefully I can enjoy the fragrance but my kids won't get hurt on it.

meredith_e, nice to hear from someone in my exact zone in addition to the other voices! I love the orangey- apricot tones, too, more than the yellows, in Westerland and Royal Sunset. Nice to hear it keeps those darker tones in the shade! I found a band of Royal Sunset at Burlington Roses if I can be patient enough for it to grow. Since the spot I'm looking to fill is on the front of my house, I'm anxious for it to get big.

After doing more research, I came across Renae and Annie Laurie McDowell, which really piqued my interest, too! These roses sound like they might do nicely in this part shade spot and provide plenty of blooms. I was originally going for an apricot color, but I'd be willing to go pinkish. Maybe I should get them all...

• aviastar 7A Virginia
    10 years ago

twinkle- you sound just like me! I also ended up with Talisman, Cl., Joseph's Coat, Night Light, and Abe Darby this year. All are babies, but growing well in 7a.

Alchymist was one I really debated about- but it's a once bloomer, so I am going to find another spot in the yard for that one next year. And Crepuscule was also highly recommended. Eden is very much pinker, but it tempted me sorely.

• twinkletoad
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just looked up Climbing Talisman- gorgeous! Oh my- I can't believe the collection I have established in just the last month. I have gone positively OCD-bonkers with the roses. I have a feeling this is very common. :)

I'm trying to find a way to limit my choices, so for now I will say: low thorns and must be noticeably fragrant. And no once bloomers.

Eden is such a beauty- my idea of a perfect pink rose bloom. I wouldn't blame anyone for being tempted! Thankfully, I've read reports that she doesn't bloom that well and that is enough to keep me from adding her to my list, at least for now.

I bought Abe Darby, too, and just received him today. I am planting him next to my favorite hydrangea shrub that blooms in pastel shades of pink, lavender and blue. It gets shade in the afternoon so I'm hoping it's a good spot... last week I planted Crepuscule next to the privacy screen on the West side of my house.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    10 years ago

Westerland performs great here in SE PA. Very vigorous. I cut it back hard each year but it usually grows to 10'. It blooms throughout the summer. I spray it 4 or 5 times each season with fungicide. Lots of new growth at the bottom this year.

{{gwi:222609}}

• aviastar 7A Virginia
    10 years ago

Whew! Westerland needs to be on my radar too! Beautiful, harryshoe!

• twinkletoad
    Original Author
    10 years ago

harryshoe, that is gorgeous! I love that orange with the bluish Betty Corning clematis (I'm guessing?). A perfect view for the lucky person lying in that hammock in the background. I'm going for Westerland!

• aviastar 7A Virginia
    10 years ago

aw, heck, twinkle- go for BOTH!