Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Climbing crimson glory care and proprogation

Posted by RiverLindainNC zone 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 29, 12 at 10:01

I have a 26year old climbing crimson glory rose my husband and I planted when we built our house. I absolutely love the color and fragrance of this rose and need some advice on keeping it going. I am not a gardener, the rose has survived on its own all these years. It has black spots on some of its stems/leaves which it has had for a long time. I have trimmed the dead wood over the years. It is currently residing in a pot of dirt my daughter put it in when she dug it up a couple of years ago (they were remodeling the house), and it is blooming and growing. I want to plant it where I live now-same zone, and see if I can get some babies from it for my daughter (she doesn't want me to take it!)I haven't been able to find another one like it for sale anywhere. All help would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Climbing crimson glory care and proprogation

I have been told that it is difficult to find a Cl Crimson Glory that actually does climb. I do have one that I rooted from one in the garden of an old cottage that was about to be torn down, and it has gone about 15 feet. I agree with you - it is a marvelous rose, and one of my most fragrant. I would just dig a big hole, somewhere where it will get lots of sun, and where there is something to climb on. Then make sure that the sides of the hole are roughed up, so that it does not become a "bathtub", fill it with good soil, and plant the rose. Water it a lot until it starts to put out new growth. If it starts to die back, you may have to prune it severely, so that its roots can catch up to the top growth.

I am not an expert at rooting roses - I am sure someone on here can guide you to exact directions, but it can be done. Good Luck!

Jackie

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 30, 12 at 11:11

HMF shows that Angel Gardens is offering Climbing Crimson Glory. Heirloom Roses has it listed too but they appear to be sold out for this season. Although you could call them and see if they will have any sooner.

After it finishes blooming is the best time to take softwood cuttings for rooting. There are tons of different ways to do it and sometimes you just have to experiment to find the one that works best for you. I've attached a link to the Rose Propagation forum where you can look around for some of them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roses Propagation & Exchange Forum

o

If it grows well as ownroot plant it is as already mentioned easy to take cuttings; plastic-bag-over-pot-method is easy, sort of a mini greenhouse. To envigir the plant I like to add cowmanure compost to the soil and water with some kind of organic liquid fertilizer with seaweed. However, there are lots of solid organic fertilzers available and they work fine. Make sure they have about as much kali as nitrogen. For example NPK 9-3-9. I find that good compost and perhaps a bit of seaweed meal is great to strengthen roses that need some extra care.

o

Thanks for all the help. I'll keep you posted on my progress/ or lack thereof.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here