Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kansas_girl

Is this a Peace? ...hmmm

kansas.girl
9 years ago

It isn't opened yet, but the colors are so dark. I thought Peace roses were yellow and cream with light pink. And why do they look so brittle?

Comments (15)

• roseseek
    9 years ago

It might be a Peace. Temperatures, nutrients and light intensities play great parts in the saturation of the pigments. Once it opens and is subjected to sun, air and temperatures you should be able to better see what you expect. Sometimes it's going to be darker, more saturated. Others, it will be less deeply colored, more pastel or faded looking. I'm not sure what you mean by "brittle", but Peace is more "stout", "sturdy" in growth than most other HTs of its vintage. Almost more HP appearing in growth "huskiness". That was one of its attractions and helped lead to its extreme use in breeding many hundreds of rose varieties. Kim

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    9 years ago

This is a bud from my Peace. Similar, but lighter colors. There are different versions of Peace on the market. Sometimes climate, soil, maturity, etc. can cause color change.

{{gwi:248401}}

• kansas.girl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you! I didn't know there were so many variations! By brittle, I meant the edges of the petals looked a little crispy... Dry, maybe. Just got this rose Driday and I've been watering it well, but I don't know if I should be doing anything else to make it healthy.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Looks very healthy to me.

Might it be Chicago Peace--which has more dramatic coloring than Peace does?

Kate

• kansas.girl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ooo, Chicago Peace... That would be a fun surprise! Can't wait until these babies bloom!

This post was edited by kansas.girl on Sun, Apr 27, 14 at 11:59

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

If you just got this rose Friday then these buds were set in the nursery where you bought it. You have no way of knowing what kind of conditions it was in. It may have been too warm or cold or didn't get enough water or sun etc. and all of those things could effect the colors and those crispy petal edges. I wouldn't worry yet. Just let it grow and see what the next blooms look like.

• Susanne27
    9 years ago

I bought a Peace potted last year and when it flowered it was pink and white and I thought drab and boring looking. I was disappointed. It made it through a long cold winter though so it must be tough but I do hope I get a pink and yellow flower this season.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

JMHO, but does not look like Chicago Peace. There are many other roses that imitate Peace but I think this may be Peace and your zone may have hyped up the color for a time.

• henryinct
    9 years ago

The amount of variation possible with Peace is extraordinary. The foliage and bud form look right to me so it could be Peace but how can you tell at this point?.

• kansas.girl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's already changed a lot since I first posted!

• redribbons
    9 years ago

It looks like a regular Peace rose to me. I just planted one. This pic is of my Desert Peace (named after Desert Storm). It just bloomed profusely.

• susan4952
    9 years ago

This is my peace in Chicago.

• susan4952
    9 years ago

If you go to HMF, one of the pics of the buds look very much like yours.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    9 years ago

The first few seasons Peace was cream with a light mauve edge. Somewhat similar to what Susan posted above. As it matured, it became a brighter yellow with a raspberry edge:

{{gwi:238458}}

• deervssteve
    9 years ago

My Peace