Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this a Peace? ...hmmm

Posted by kansas.girl none (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 27, 14 at 10:21

It isn't opened yet, but the colors are so dark. I thought Peace roses were yellow and cream with light pink. And why do they look so brittle?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this a Peace? ...hmmm

It might be a Peace. Temperatures, nutrients and light intensities play great parts in the saturation of the pigments. Once it opens and is subjected to sun, air and temperatures you should be able to better see what you expect. Sometimes it's going to be darker, more saturated. Others, it will be less deeply colored, more pastel or faded looking. I'm not sure what you mean by "brittle", but Peace is more "stout", "sturdy" in growth than most other HTs of its vintage. Almost more HP appearing in growth "huskiness". That was one of its attractions and helped lead to its extreme use in breeding many hundreds of rose varieties. Kim

o

This is a bud from my Peace. Similar, but lighter colors. There are different versions of Peace on the market. Sometimes climate, soil, maturity, etc. can cause color change.

Peace - Hybrid Tea Rose photo DSC_0003_zpsc85768f7.jpg

o

Thank you! I didn't know there were so many variations! By brittle, I meant the edges of the petals looked a little crispy... Dry, maybe. Just got this rose Driday and I've been watering it well, but I don't know if I should be doing anything else to make it healthy.

o

Looks very healthy to me.

Might it be Chicago Peace--which has more dramatic coloring than Peace does?

Kate

o

Ooo, Chicago Peace... That would be a fun surprise! Can't wait until these babies bloom!

This post was edited by kansas.girl on Sun, Apr 27, 14 at 11:59

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 27, 14 at 12:48

If you just got this rose Friday then these buds were set in the nursery where you bought it. You have no way of knowing what kind of conditions it was in. It may have been too warm or cold or didn't get enough water or sun etc. and all of those things could effect the colors and those crispy petal edges. I wouldn't worry yet. Just let it grow and see what the next blooms look like.

o

I bought a Peace potted last year and when it flowered it was pink and white and I thought drab and boring looking. I was disappointed. It made it through a long cold winter though so it must be tough but I do hope I get a pink and yellow flower this season.

o

JMHO, but does not look like Chicago Peace. There are many other roses that imitate Peace but I think this may be Peace and your zone may have hyped up the color for a time.

o

The amount of variation possible with Peace is extraordinary. The foliage and bud form look right to me so it could be Peace but how can you tell at this point?.

o

It's already changed a lot since I first posted!

o

It looks like a regular Peace rose to me. I just planted one. This pic is of my Desert Peace (named after Desert Storm). It just bloomed profusely.

o

This is my peace in Chicago.

o

If you go to HMF, one of the pics of the buds look very much like yours.

o

The first few seasons Peace was cream with a light mauve edge. Somewhat similar to what Susan posted above. As it matured, it became a brighter yellow with a raspberry edge:

Peace - Hybrid Tea Rose photo DSC_0004-3-1_zps25e9d98f.jpg

o

My Peace

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here