Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
archoo16

mini rose,dying plants/ wilting new leaves

archoo16
11 years ago

Hi, these are valentines gift :D I read the saving mini roses thread and repotted them separately. Its been almost 2 weeks . They put up new leaves and then the leaves before becoming large, wilt and die. In the added pictures, you can see new fresh leaves emerging, but they die before they become large. And some of the stalk have died off . :( What else can I do to save them? It does not have any black spots. I water them if the top is dry. It used to have powdery mildew when it came, and I sprayed it with some dilute mouth wash and a drop of liquid soap and oil. No powdery mildew now . It gets good sun all day.

{{gwi:248424}}

{{gwi:248425}}

Comments (16)

• jacqueline9CA
    11 years ago

Roses hate, loathe, despise being indoors! If it is too cold to plant them outdoors yet, I would store them in your garage or other sheltered cold place. Then as soon as it is warm enough, plant them in the ground. Roses are not indoor plants, period.

Jackie

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    11 years ago

I would remove rocks in the one pot, and I would have repotted in a wider pot. As Jackie says, they need to be outside, but start them out in dappled shade and slowly move into sun.

• archoo16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK, will do.Hope they like it outside. So you guys dont think its some disease? will update on how they do. Thanks.

• lola-lemon
    11 years ago

Water might be an issue. Those pots look like they don't drain (no holes in bottom). Overwatering your roses can cause root rot. I dont know how old those are or how much roots they have, but you might be careful to not keep them soggy.

• archoo16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I got them for this year's Valentines day. And potted them separately 2 weeks ago. They have decent roots, but they are baby plants.

Those are yogurt containers, each have 3 holes on their underside of abt 1 -1.5 cm diameter. They drain well. I really dont know what is wrong.
    I put them outside today.

• charleney
    11 years ago

put em outside.

• susan4952
    11 years ago

I would repot up....cut back tips....and it appears you have more than one in each pot
    There was a good post on separating mini grocery store roses. It involved soaking and separating. See if the search window pulls up an info. I think it was named Repotting Minis.

• susan4952
    11 years ago

And how deep are they? Maybe the soaking replanting was too much stress.
    And move them outside...ASAP.

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

When you get them outside take the trays off the bottoms of the cups too. Those trays are holding water so the pots don't drain freely. The soil in the bottom is probably too wet because of it.

Get some one gallon nursery pots. Most local nurseries will have them and they're cheap. Carefully repot them without disturbing the existing root balls in good potting soil. Trim off any die back on the canes and any dead leaves. Take them outside and put them in full sun, in a well protected place. You're in a cold zone and it's early yet so you may have to do the in and out routine for a bit because of frosts. Put them up on something so the drainage holes are free to work properly. Keep them evenly watered but not drowning and do not fertilize them. Then be patient. As long as the canes remain green and do not shrivel they'll be OK. It may take some weeks for them to start to grow on top but in the meantime the roots will be growing below to support them.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

Indoor roses nearly always get spider mites, which suck the life out of the foliage. Look for very fine webs, hardly visible, on the backs of the leaves.

As everyone says, roses are not house plants.

• archoo16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I put them out 2 days ago. Look at them go!!! They love it outside. They have put out so many new purply leaves. Awesome!! I think they didnt like the controlled temperature and air indoors.
    {{gwi:248428}}

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    11 years ago

Excellent. They look much better. Roses don't like anything about indoors, but the major factor Is no sun.

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

And too low humidity. Even on the driest days outside it's damper than you would want your house to be.

They look great! Good for you!

• susan4952
    11 years ago

Congrats!

• archoo16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks guys. I never would have thought just taking them outside would have made such a difference! They gt sun all day at their old spot , yet they were sickly. Like Seil said must be the lack of humidity.

Now I cant wait for the red gorgeous blooms. Will update a pic when they start.

• sunflowersrus222
    10 years ago

I'm wondering how your roses are doing now. Been following this thread and watching for updates.