Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it O.K. to prune in 35 degree temps?

Posted by bonny46 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 10:22

Crazy weather we're having here in Northwest NJ (zone 6)! We had snow flurries last night, and there is still a dusting of snow on the shady part of my deck. This is my spring break, and I planned to prune my roses today since this is when I have the time. Our forsythia are in bloom and grass is green. However, right now the temp is 31 degrees, and it will get to the upper 30s this afternoon (with a low overnight of 27). Will it hurt my roses to prune today?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it O.K. to prune in 35 degree temps?

I wouldn't worry about it. It seems to me the only reason I've never done it is that I don't like being out working when it is that cold, and can wait a few days for things to warm up. The forecast temperatures are way above damaging cold, and the plants are in sync with the temperatures.

o

• Posted by jim1961 6a Central Pa. (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 11:23

I pruned today... I took a look at our 7 day weather forecast and it looked good so I pruned away...It was 35 degrees at the time..

o

Thanks to both of you for the replies!! I really don't like the cold either, but this is when I have time to do it. I didn't want to lose the afternoon. So, I'm bundling up and heading out. :)

o

Back in CT I pruned as early as late February and as late as mid April. Do it before they start to sprout and you probably will have to do it again later anyway. When you do it too soon you sometimes don't know what is dead and what isn't and if you do it too late you have to cut off new growth on canes that aren't worth keeping. If the forsythia is blooming in z6 that is a month late and about as late as I remember it ever blooming in z6b sw CT. I would do the pruning no matter how cold it is.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 18:27

Go for it! If the forsythia and grass are growing the roses will be too. I don't think this cold snap will last long before it goes back to spring temps and your roses will be all ready to take off.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here