Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara_ann_gw

Austins/grafted or own-root, best sources?

sara_ann-z6bok
10 years ago

Since I primarily depend on mail order for my rose sources, there is something I am wondering about. I've asked the question before, more than once about grafted vs own-root, but I am wondering about Austins in particular. For mail order the two best sources, that I can tell are Regan and Roses Unlimited. I received three Austins from Regan, which look very healthy. Last year I ordered a couple of own-root Austins from RU and they are both looking good. I was checking my RU Darcey Bussell this morning and it's got 5 buds on it. How much difference does it make as far as vigor over time? I don't mind waiting a year or two on the own-roots, if they are as good overall as the grafted. Also, does anyone order directly from David Austin? I've noticed some are available either way from them, they are a little pricier though. And are there any other good sources for them? Several companies carry a few varieties, but I prefer sources that have a good selection of varieties.

Comments (4)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

I've ordered own-roots from places like Chamblees and grafted from several places, including from David Austin.

I really can't tell the difference in the long run between the performances of own-roots and grafted Austins. It is in the beginning that the grafts seem to give the plants that extra vigor needed to get off to a quicker start. Since I bury the grafts (for winter protection), it is quite possible that over the years, some of the grafted ones go own root (above the graft) all on their own--another reason there would not be a long-term difference.

I think those who have to worry about winter freezing often prefer grafted--so that the rose gets a better start on that root system needed to survive well the winter. But I'm not sure that those of us in Zone 6 have that much of a problem with that--as long as the graft is buried 1-2 inches.

Why order from David Austin? If you want the latest and newest roses, often the only place they are available are at David Austin--so you bite the bullet and pay the higher prices.

As far as quality goes, the David Austin grafted roses are as good as grafted Austins you would get anywhere else. (I have never ordered an own-root from David Austin, so I can't comment on that.)

Hope that helps.

Kate

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

The difference will depend on the variety. Some varieties are strong vigorous growers and will do well both ways. The own root version may take a few years longer to mature but otherwise will perform just as well. If, however, the variety itself is not a very vigorous grower then grafting it may have a big difference, giving it the vigor it lacks on its own.

• Kippy
    10 years ago

My 2 cents

I have one Austin that is an accidental ownroot (I came home with a variety of roses and found a cane laying in the bed of the truck next to an expired patent rose.) Disappointed that I had managed to tear the best cane off in transporting, I diced it up and poked them in the ground under glass. Amazingly they all rooted, they were in a bad spot so I moved them assuming they would die, to 3 corners in the same little garden. I had no idea they were not the non patent rose. They grew and grew, filling the corners of the bed and then....a bud. Clearly not the rose I had thought they were all along but instead the Austin I picked up the wrong pot of when buying. I did not want that plant, the reviews were bad, it balls, crisps etc. I was not happy. Now I had this rose I did not want x 4.

Fast forward, that own root grows faster, reblooms more and is incredible. Each of the accidental cuttings is better than the grafted mother plant. I can tie and move the own root canes, the grafted plants canes break off with a stern look. It still balls and crisps, but I no longer care because with so many blooms, some still open. She still nods, but I love that charm and besides with 30 blooms in a couple of feet...what is not to enjoy.

I think that how an individual plant does grafted or not depends on the plant and not so much as the breeder.

That DA also will tip root and provided me with the first seedling at her feet. Maybe it is the anomaly in Austins, but this is one that needs reducing power from the root stock.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you ladies for the good information, I do appreciate it. You all are so helpful and knowledgeable. Kippy, that sounds like a fun experience with your accidental own root Austin.