Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
campv8baz

Body Bags are really ok

campv 8b AZ
9 years ago

The photo below was taken Easter day
The photos are of our front yard
Thanks to all my helpers from this sight over the last couple of years, all of this would not have been possible.
Yes every single rose was bare root in a plastic bag from walmart, lowes, 5n dime or HD -cost not over $3.00
For those of us with little money it can be done.
Camp Verde Arizona

This post was edited by campv on Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 15:54

Comments (21)

• campv 8b AZ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

other side of driveway

• psbjmb
    9 years ago

What lovely roses! And even more wonderful that you 'saved' them - Happy belated Easter!

• sara_ann-z6bok
    9 years ago

What beautiful roses. They are so healthy, you should be very proud. I love it when someone defies the odds, especially in such a grand way.

• mori1
    9 years ago

I don't know if its the weather but not much in body bags. HD barely had any and the ones at Lowe's were all dead (can't believe that they are still trying to sell them). The Big lot only had a handful but those were already dead. Walmart didn't get any this year.

• charleney
    9 years ago

Can u tell me ....what is the yellow?

• campv 8b AZ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mori1 I have ran across years like that and it can be very frustrating. Some times I think the stores just get in a few BB's and hope people will want roses bad enough to buy them potted up at a higher cost and they aren't much better roses. I do know they do that with fruit trees. The Walmart here did get some.
    Out of all the roses I planted in this yard I only lost 2. The lavender one was killed by the neighbor and the other died of unknown causes.

• campv 8b AZ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Charleney- Excitement rose -Large, but bolts very quickly bought @ ALCO 5n dime. Have two. the other is not in any pictures. Would not purchase again because of the bolting. I like to enjoy my roses longer than this one allows.

• charleney
    9 years ago

Thank u about the yellow. I will take your advice and not get one because of the bolting.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

They're lovely! The biggest thing with the body bag roses is to get them the minute they get in the stores and take them home and water them. For the most part they're in fair shape when they're shipped. It's what happens to them in those stores that usually kills them. Of course, you also have to be prepared to except the fact that they may not be what the bags said they were.

• campv 8b AZ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Seil you are right. The two red roses that are on the fence line, one on each side of the drive way were originally packaged as white climbers. Turns out they were red and a bush. But you know I got to go with the flow and they do look nice

• campv 8b AZ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

These are the before pictures when I asked for help trimming an out of control climber. The results from your help are the the pictures in full bloom above

• campv 8b AZ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

2nd rose

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I can relate with having a very limited budget and not always being able to buy what I really want.

Looks like you did great with what you could get!

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    9 years ago

You did an excellent job of pruning! I wish I had that talent.
    I think your roses are beautiful. I hope your neighbors enjoy them!
    Susan

• campv 8b AZ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Everyone

• farmerduck NJ Z6b
    9 years ago

campv -- you are probably one of those naturally gifted gardenners who can make anything grow and thrive. Keep up with the good work and post more pictures when you add new plants!

• campv 8b AZ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Poorbutroserich- No talent just plenty of help from this site.
    Farmer- Not gifted here, just really stubborn. I intend to over come. I have killed plenty of times, just not roses.

• cristi
    9 years ago

Gorgeous!! Found some buried at Sam"s, look nice and healthy, praying they turn out :)

• campv 8b AZ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

cristi- poke some holes in the bottom of the bag and put in a bucket of water till you plant. I add a LITTLE root growth hormone to the water.
    Remember to be patience and water- No fert or spraying for awhile they will be in shock.
    GOOD FOR YOU!
    PS Mulch mulch mulch I use cedar

This post was edited by campv on Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 19:20

• Nessdizzle Formally 6a, now 9b Central Florida
    7 years ago

I just bought 3 bags from lowes..one was Granada and 2 were Peace...hoping I have the same luck as you had, yours are gorgeous!!!