Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara_ann_gw

Don't hesitate to share your rose pictures!

sara_ann-z6bok
9 years ago

There is something I feel compelled to express. I appreciate it so much when members post their pictures, whether they are close-ups, garden shots, bush shots, or anything interesting connected to roses. I love the discussions, I have learned a lot from those. Sometimes a picture says it all though! At times I think we can be a little shy about posting pictures and think that no one wants to see them. My thinking is, if you don't want to see it, don't look. To me the main reason for growing roses and/or any thing of beauty is the enjoyment they bring, not only to us, but others too. Maybe I am more sensitive to this, because my DH is legally blind, due to a genetic eye disease. He makes the best of his situation and even approaches it with a sense of humor a times, but he doesn't like it. He can enjoy the fragrances though, I am glad for that. I think we should make the most of this wonderful gift of sight. It is so precious!

Comments (121)

• emrogers
    9 years ago

This is my peach drift

This post was edited by emrogers on Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 19:22

• emrogers
    9 years ago

My hybrid

• emrogers
    9 years ago

This is my other miniature rose in a pot

• deervssteve
    9 years ago

Galway Bay

• deervssteve
    9 years ago

Beauty of Glazenwood

• thebeatgroover
    9 years ago

Dick Clark with unusually shallow edging in a greenhouse!

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

A young Reine des Violettes getting ready for the spring flush.

Jay

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

Darcey Bussell. So far most of the blooms have taken on a nice crimson-purple hue.

Jay

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

Forgot to mention this one in the recent Austin thread. Winchester Cathedral with Black Knight Sweet Peas behind it.

Jay

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

And Sunset Celebration's first bloom this year

Jay

• dove_song
    9 years ago

Yay... It's happenin' with our southern friends. Thanks for sharing! God willing, in a few months rosy happiness will be happenin' here as well!!! :-)

• deervssteve
    9 years ago

I deadheaded Galway Bay and cut a few unspent blooms.

• deervssteve
    9 years ago

Duchess de Brabant
    {{gwi:249229}}

Peace
    {{gwi:249230}}

• deervssteve
    9 years ago

Oympiad

• canadian_rose
    9 years ago

Oh! These pictures are heavenly!!! Really love that Galaway Bay!! But they are all gorgeous - such lovely colors!!
    Carol

• socks
    9 years ago

Doing a little deadheading this evening and was taken by surprise by Sexy Rexy. She's really putting on a show. I love those smaller blooms with lots of petals. This has been a very satisfactory bush for me. Thanks to everyone else posting here. I enjoy the pictures.

{{gwi:249232}}

• socks
    9 years ago

Here's another bush which is a trouble-free showoff. I rarely even deadhead it. Betty Boop

{{gwi:249233}}

• socks
    9 years ago

Mellow Yellow. I love the scalloped edges of the petals.
    This is from last spring as was the above.

{{gwi:249234}}

• ordphien
    9 years ago

Twilight Zone. Please excuse the weeds.
    I can't tell you how much weeding I've done in the past years.

• ordphien
    9 years ago

Mauve noid.
    Smells divine and never gets anything.
    Even aphids.

• ordphien
    9 years ago

Mauve noid.
    Smells divine and never gets anything.
    Even aphids.

{{!gwi}}

• daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    9 years ago

Teasing Georgia

{{gwi:249235}}

Abraham Darby just opening.

{{gwi:249236}}

and fully open.

{{gwi:249237}}

Munstead Wood

{{gwi:249238}}

Blush Noisette just beginning.

{{gwi:249239}}

Gruss an Aachen

{{gwi:249240}}

Golden Celebration

{{gwi:249241}}

Looking down on Marechal Niel...

{{gwi:249242}}

...and looking up.

{{gwi:249243}}

Lady Emma Hamilton.

{{gwi:249244}}

Sombreuil from a distance...

{{gwi:249245}}

...and close up.

{{gwi:249246}}

A new, young Rosa mutabilis.

{{gwi:249247}}

Archduc Joseph from a distance...

{{gwi:249248}}

...and close up.

{{gwi:249249}}

Daisy

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Everyone has been posting some lovely pictures here. Steve, I love your Galway Bay, it's gorgeous. Socks, your Sexy Rexy looks great and I loved my Mellow Yellow, but it didn't make it through our harsh winter. Ordphien, I love Twilight Zone, I've planted one this year. No clue what your other one is, but it is nice. Daisy, yours are so lovely. You have some very beautiful roses. I love your Austins and the Archduc Joseph is such a pretty color and Sombruiel is a gorgeous rose.

• socks
    9 years ago

Ordphien, I'm impressed with all your hard work to renovate your grandparents' roses. You sure seem to be enjoying yourself too. I do have one word for you as far as the weeds are concerned: MULCH! It will make a world of difference for you.

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    9 years ago

Daisy,

Your garden is amazing!!!! It's the elements rose books are made ofâ¦.

Lynn

This post was edited by desertgarden561 on Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 15:28

• toolbelt68
    9 years ago

A few of my Zeffies....

• DNTQuilter
    9 years ago

Gorgeous pictures everyone. It will late June until we see blooms here in South Central PA.

Jim1961, so glad to see Mr. Lincoln is still with you following the big surgery that you gave him last year.

• ordphien
    9 years ago

I really hope the twilight zone does as well for you as me.
    It's a beautiful rose. I find the bush pleasing as well.
    I planted mine last year.

I wish I could find out which rose it is as I want one when I move out.
    But there's lots of new mauve's out there.

Ah Mulch. I don't mulch. The weeds you see are the result of 5 years of letting both yards go to hell.
    It's a thicket.
    I've slowly been weeding over the last couple years and finally got my garden beds and the grass areas are finally free of them'
    The side, where the roses are, hasnt been weeded yet. After that will come the mulch.

Thank you. In trying really hard to get this yard in shape.
    She loved it so much. So did I.

• heatwave2000
    9 years ago

Here is a pic of my new Twilight Zone "before" planting it this April. It was absolutely gorgeous, with a strong fruity aroma.

I've never planted roses before, but after planting, it doesn't look anything like this anymore. It's blooms are now very tiny and weak, more pink instead of purple, and no longer large and fluffy. I read to clip off the spent flowers to the first 5 leaf branch, or on a cluster, just the dead bloom. Tried that, but now it has almost no blooms at all. Hoping this is just the shock of transplanting, and not permanent.

Twilight Zone

• deervssteve
    9 years ago

Pompon blanc parfait

• deervssteve
    9 years ago

Buff Beauty

• SaraKinsey
    9 years ago

I don't know what kind of rose it is (I'm new to gardening), but I love it!

• joopster
    9 years ago

Aby Darby
    I took this pic around 7am. By 4pm, it was a goner. They told me that this rose needs full sun. But this is my 2nd David Austin that doesn't tolerate Chicago full sun.

• Amber Lodal
    9 years ago

I'm a newbie to gardening and have been battling thrips so I'm overjoyed to see this guy blooming looking unscathed. Patiently awaiting it to open, my beautiful Pink Peace

• chardie
    9 years ago

Here's Queen Mary II.

• chardie
    9 years ago

Zephirine Drouhin.

• chardie
    9 years ago

Abraham Darby

• chardie
    9 years ago

Abraham Darby before it's fully opened. How different it looks!

• densiemill Miller
    9 years ago

My faves Double Delight

• densiemill Miller
    9 years ago

Another

• KnoxRose -7a
    9 years ago

Here are a few from my brand new rose boarder, this whole bed is less than 2 weeks old. This is my first time ever growing any type of real rose (knockouts don't count) so of course I am RIDICULOUSLY excited about these babies! Wish me luck!

{{gwi:249251}} Shockwave

{{gwi:249252}}
    Shockwave bush with may night salvia and cranesbill at its feet

{{gwi:249254}} Rio Samba

{{gwi:249256}} Happy Go Lucky

{{gwi:249258}}
    Chrysler Imperial

{{gwi:249259}}
    Munstead Wood

{{gwi:249260}}
    Munstead Wood

{{gwi:249261}}
    The sheer amount of buds on this Ebb Tide is making my heart race. I have not seen her bloom yet, nor have I ever seen any Ebb Tide in bloom... the anticipation is practically killing me at this point

Jessica

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    9 years ago

Jessica:
    I love your rich wall color. It really shows off your beautiful roses. Those Ebb Tide buds are neat. I hope you post an update when the they open. The anticipation is part of the fun, isn't it?

• Holly Kline
    9 years ago

Just a phone pic which does them no justice, but - my Julio Iglesias.

• jmb4114
    7 years ago

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    7 years ago

All fantastic pics everyone!

• lauriescreams
    7 years ago

I'm absolutely in love with Twilight Zone - that rich, dark purple colour. Based on pictures, it's more vivid than the smokier Ebb Tide, but I guess the only way to be sure would be to see the two in flower side by side. It doesn't seem too common in Europe yet, however.

• ordphien
    7 years ago

Oh look. This thread is active again.

Lauriescreams - twilight zone has a much fuller, darker, bigger, and more purple flower than ebb tide.

But ebb tide has a much high flower production.

• lauriescreams
    7 years ago

Good to hear, ordphien! Colour trumps pretty much everything in my book. I'll take a few vivid purples over a cascade of less saturated purples. :)

• ordphien
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I'm pretty big on colour too.

Russet, mauve, black, colour changing, green, purple. I love them.

I've got a few new additions to my yard in bloom right now.

Well. New since I last posted on this thread a few years ago. Please excuse the weird lighting. It's cloudy and the light keeps shifting.

Stainless Steel. A very light mauve with a rich heady fragrance.

Distant Drums. A lovely rose with red buds that open a lovely tan russet colour. As it ages the outer petals turn pink, until the bloom is all pink by the end of its life. Also a lovely fragrance. Like spiced wildflower honey.

This one wasn't chosen for colour. I stuck a few reliable bloomers around for constant blooms. This one is Pillow Fight. It's a about 3 feet and throws out a profusion of white blooms with a hint of cream. Usually lightly scented of violets the fragrance is surprisingly wafting and heady today with it being so humid and warm.

Twilight zone. Not new lol. Not as purple now that it's warmer.