Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
benjoe90

Espalier Hybrid Tea?

benjoe
14 years ago

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has tried to do a espalier with a hybrid tea? My 'Hybrid Tea Tiffany' wasnt doing well in the back of my yard, so I dug her up and put her up against the south side of my house. Then i realized that she stuck out from the wall too far, so i got some metal rods and tried to do a espalier fan style. Hopefully you guys have some good information on this.

Thanks

Ben

Comments (21)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    14 years ago

Certainly a climbing rose with flexible canes can be fanned out on a trellis.

I'm not sure how flexible Tiffany is. I would feed and water the heck out of it so that you have lots of growth to work with, and trim it to suit your space.

In 6a you may have winter damage--winter might "trim" it for you.

• york_rose
    14 years ago

What hoovb said!

I think a climber with flexible canes would probably be a better candidate for an espalier treatment. For the most part hybrid teas have relatively upright stems that often don't last all that well through the winter in zone 6, so you may find that Tiffany doesn't give you much to work with as an espalier candidate.

• benjoe
    Original Author
    14 years ago

None of my roses have had any die back in winter for all the years i have had them. I know there not that flexible when fully hardened, but they were still new canes. I heard that roses will flower more with lateral stems. And I am trying to get a lot more roses this year.

Thanks
    Ben

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    14 years ago

Well, you can always try it and report back.

Tiffany is a very upright rose (at least it has been for me, and I have two of them). If you want more roses, then you want a plant that is more floriforous. Hybrid teas are usually one per stem, although there are some that have more flowers (Love & Peace is a hybrid tea with a lot of flowers in my garden). Grandifloras (aome), floribundas, shrubs and many of the antique roses will provide many more flowers.

• zack_lau z6 CT ARS Consulting Rosarian
    14 years ago

I tried forcing laterals on Veteran's Honor, but the canes just died back. Much better luck with Cherry Parfait, a
    florabunda. Both were little wimpy roses at one point--but now they are quite big. A squirrel nibbled VH all the way back to the bud union.

• buford
    14 years ago

I don't know about Espalier, but I string wire between two eye hooks and use that to spread out my climbers flat. It works very well and if the canes are pliable enough, you can get them to be at a 90% angle (completely horizontal)you get a lot of laterals. This is how climbing roses are displayed in many rose gardens. Espalier usually involves a few turns and angles, which I don't think rose canes will do. You don't really want to bend rose canes too much.

• york_rose
    14 years ago

The reason espalier works well with rose family fruit trees (apples, pears, peaches, cherries, apricots, plums, almonds, and a few others) is that while the branches are often quite stiff the individual leaves on the branches are fairly close together. Consequently you don't really have to do all that much bending of the stems. Instead you cut them off at a promising leaf, and then the bud in that leaf's axil sprouts at approximately a 90 degree angle to the previous stem's growth. Then you only need to do the small amount of training of that new stem in order to place it exactly where you want it.

I don't know of a rose that has a similar growth habit, but there are lots & lots of roses with which I'm not really very familiar. I wouldn't be surprised to learn there are some species roses that can be espaliered.

• buford
    14 years ago

AH, so that's how they do it york. Thanks for that info!

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Hey, cool! Great work. Are you getting flowers?

Really enjoy seeing the update! :)

• benjoe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes i am getting many flower buds, it seems like over 100. I think i may have needed to fertilize it because many of the very smaller rose buds are yellowing and falling off, it seems like the new canes have the strongest buds and will make a very nice display

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

That's a pretty impressive plant! Please post a photo when she blooms!

• benjoe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well its not a great photo but its still growing up the wall

{{gwi:249439}}

• roseseek
    10 years ago

It looks great Benjoe. That's not a "hybrid tea", though, but the climbing sport of a hybrid tea. Your Tiffany is Climbing Tiffany, so you have trained it as it must be to provide you much of anything. Had it been the bush form of Tiffany, it would be taller than the average HT bush, but it wouldn't be a monstrous plant like you have on your wall. Climbing Tiffany can get HUGE. Kim

• benjoe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It is just a regular hybrid tea Tiffany rose I got from walmart, not a special climbing rose or sport. When i had gotten the plant back years ago it was a short rose bush for mothers day, probably only 2 feet tall, I have never pruned except and branches that I couldn't get to stay to the wall. All the long branches that are "bent" were just very tall canes that I had pulled down horizontal

• roseseek
    10 years ago

I have no doubt it was tagged simply as Tiffany, and not Cl. Tiffany, but as evidenced by the elongated, climbing growth the plant IS a climbing Tiffany. Mix-ups like this occur frequently with mass produced roses. Errors occur with inattention in packaging as well as bud selection. Dr. Huey became a root stock because of an error in the Armstrong growing fields back around WWII. Someone was sent out to collect cuttings of Ragged Robin to root for stocks and accidentally collected Huey. It wasn't until after the plants on Huey were found to be superior to those on Ragged Robin, the error was discovered. When a worker is sent out to collect bud wood of a variety, it's natural to harvest the most vigorous canes. More bud wood can be obtained from an extra vigorous, long cane than from many shorter, bushier ones, leading to many cases of climbing versions of the traditional, original bush types being propagated as bushes. An educated worker, who is aware of such things, costs more, as do those who have pride of ownership in the job. They are fewer and farther between in higher volume, lower cost producers. I'm not surprised it occurred with stock from Walmart. Syl Arena used to tell the story of how as soon as he secured the contract to produce roses for Walmart, they began shopping his contract for lower bids to bring back to him and squeeze his prices down even more. Many things CAN be produced at lower costs, but often not at as high quality.

Climbing Peace and Peace; Climbing Queen Elizabeth and Queen Elizabeth as well as several other bushes and their climbing mutations have been, and are, regularly mixed up in production and packaging. It's also a common occurrence with Souv. de la Malmaison and its climbing sport. But, rest assured, the growth of your Tiffany is definitely the climbing mutation and not what is to be expected from a bush type, regardless of what the label said. Kim

• benjoe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am pretty sure I know that this is not a climbing sport. If left to grow on its own terms it would have been only a foot wide at most and 10 feet tall, there is no weeping/ elongated whips. they just have never been pruned

• User
    10 years ago

10 feet tall sounds like a climber to me.

• User
    10 years ago

Also, as York stated, espalier pruning is a method of actually cutting the leading shoot(branch, cane) and retaining laterals on either side. These laterals are then trimmed continually. It is a method which only works on plants which will form fruiting spurs on those very short laterals. Fan training is something else altogether and usually involves continual renewal of basal growths, removing the old flowering/fruiting wood and tying in new canes each season.
    To a point, both of these methods can be used for roses.....but often at the loss of large amounts of foliage and almost always used with single blooming roses. However, a modified form of pruning to a 2 dimensional form is doable, depending on the innate growth habits and vigour of the rose.....although there will be a decrease in bloom because of the need to keep ungainly outward growing shoots removed throughout the growing season.

• nickl
    10 years ago

Some Hybrid Teas - and to a lesser extent some floribundas - mutate ("sport" in rose parlance) into climbing forms. If these mutations turn out to be stable, they can be commercially produced. Not all varieties do this, of course, because it is dependent on the genetics of the original.

Climbing HTs and climbing floribundas have the same bloom,as the bush form . The major differences are, (1)the relatively longer canes on the climbing forms, and (2) that the blooms tend to appear on laterals rather than only at the terminals. Generally speaking, they tend to not bloom as profusely as the bush forms - although there are some exceptions. It is these characteristics, rather than the width of the plant, which differentiate the climbing form from the bush form.

"Tiffany" has a climbing form that is still in commercial production. Looking at your photo, I would say that is what you have.

• michaelg
    10 years ago

The bush form of 'Tiffany' is tall and capable of producing basal canes up to about six feet long. I haven't seen the climbing sport, but a rough definition of "climber" is that it produces basal shoots > 7'. So the OP can tell which form he has by checking the unbroken length of basal shoots (that is, not counting laterals that came out at leaf joints after pruning or deadheading).