Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rose Hedge Suggestions?

Posted by cindyrn 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 11:09

I would like to plant a rose hedge between my house and the neighboring house but have no idea what to pick. Knock outs are popular here but are they evergreen?

I tried to grow a Joseph's Coat rose bush before and failed miserably at it so I thought I better ask for suggestions before trying roses again.

I would like to have something as close to evergreen as possible and disease/pest resistant. The color doesn't really matter, it would be nice to have something fragrant but that doesn't really matter either.

If roses aren't a good choice for a hedge, any other thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rose Hedge Suggestions?

Hi Cindy, what city/state do you live in? How wide can the hedge be? Do you want shrub roses or a climber to train along a fence?

o

Knock out roses make a good care free hedge. One red, one pink back and forth makes a beautiful display. If you want a hedge that NO ONE will get through, go with Rosa Rugosa or Rosa Rugosa Alba or mixed. Virtually nothing mess's with this rose (including deer). The good thing about Rugosa's is during the cool winter in zone 8, the foliage is a bright coppery, orange color.

o

I'm in L.A. ....lower Alabama lol. Lots of black spot problems here :( I love the thought of changing leaf colors! The roses would be in full hot sun all day, sometimes triple digit heat indices.

o

Sorry, forgot to put there's no fence and height/width doesn't really matter

o

Look up Austin's Queen of Sweden. It is supposed to be a very good hedge grower, and I can vouch for its disease-resistance in my Zone 6 (KS) garden. It is a lovely, lovely light pink bloom with a touch of apricot highlights--about 4 ft tall and not too wide. It is a more upright/vertical rose bush.

Kate

o

I second Kate's suggestion to consider Queen of Sweden. It's upright, with incredibly beautiful blooms, and performs well with all day sun in my client's hot, dry garden. If I needed a rose hedge, this is the rose I would use.

jannike

o

Thanks!

o

• Posted by picea 6A Cinci- Oh (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 23:22

My quietness buck rose has gotten huge and could make a large hedge. It is gorgeous in bloom. David

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here