Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lucille Ball

Posted by capeheart z6ccMA (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 6, 11 at 11:14

Hello Everyone!

I haven't been on the GW forum in awhile.

I was wondering if anyone knows if Lucille Ball Rose is now available? If so, where?

Many Thanks!
Chantel :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lucille Ball

The only commercial source for Lucy B has been Palatine in Canada, and they have closed their bareroot season for the spring. It will probably be available from them in the fall. Sorry -- I know that doesn't match up very well with cold-zoner timing.

Moreover, Lucy has been kind of a weak grower for me here in SoCal. I'm trying to put her on a different rootstock to see if that helps.

I would recommend Over The Moon and/or Valencia as good alternates in that color class.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 6, 11 at 14:15

the recent vintage email of eurodesert roses for sale listed lucille.

o
Vintage link

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 6, 11 at 14:19

the recent vintage email of eurodesert roses for sale listed lucille ball as available

Here is a link that might be useful: hope this link works

o

IMO, the allure of this rose is based on the facts that (1) we all loved Lucy and (2) the rose has the distinct advantage of having been hard to find for quite a long period of time.

It's really too bad that a better rose wasn't chosen to honor Lucille Ball, and I feel there are real good reasons why the rose has rarely appeared on the market. Perhaps in some locales 'Lucille Ball' performs well, but she's an unmitigated disaster in others. I've grown her in 2 zones (7&8), and in both she was a prickly, unshapely, temperamental mess. If 'Lucille Ball' were a good garden rose that performed well in a variety of locations it would have been readily available/heavily marketed for years.

o

Thanks - I will try for Vintage

Yep I agree - I heard it is difficult to grow, so that probably is the problem of finding her. But I would like to try, even just once.

Many Thanks Everyone! :)

o

I'd get Lucille from Palatine for planting in March 2012 and plant the bud union 2 inches deep for winter protection. The root stock Palatine uses does very well in acid New England soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here