Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charleney_gw

Boxwood edging

charleney
9 years ago

I know! I love the boxwood edging look for rose beds. Are the roots of box invasive, and do you have luck around your rosebeds??

Comments (8)

• subk3
    9 years ago

I've not found the roots invasive at all. My boxwood hedge is Green Velvet" they run between a walkway and the beds. Sometimes that variety can be found at home depot.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

I had one instance of a problem; the rose was getting hand watered a lot, and the boxwood about 2' away was getting zero water--no water at all except winter rain. So the boxwood roots migrated pretty much to the root zone of the rose. I discovered this when I went to move the rose not due to decline but due to rabbits. The rose is fine in its new spot.

I have another area where the boxwood gets a lot more water than the roses do, and there is no movement of boxwood roots towards rose roots. They like where they are.

So, I would say, water the boxwood, not just the roses.

With boxwood roots:
    {{gwi:249861}}
    After boxwood roots removed:
    {{gwi:249862}}

I like the look also. It's very classic. The clipped boxwood offers architectural line and shape to contrast with the billowy rose growth. The uniform green color of the boxwood offers the eye that visual rest which lawn usually supplies in a garden. I have gotten rid of 95% of my lawn, so boxwood offers that uniform green.

There are dwarf boxwood cultivars that pose even less risk with their smaller root systems. Common myrtle makes a nice short hedge as well, in a darker green with a finer texture, in climates where it is hardy (only to zone 8).

• roseseek
    9 years ago

You should also take a look at dwarf myrtle (Myrtus communis Compacta). You can keep it six inches tall virtually forever, let it grow to six feet (and more) or anything in between. It's one of the few shrubs you can whack in to very old, thick trunks and they explode into new, dense growth instead of dying. Dark green, tiny, wonderfully scented foliage (they use its essences in herbal shampoos and as a hair rinse for dark colored hair) which is very soft and dense. This plant has been grown for medicinal and ornamental purposes since Roman times. It's very popular for topiary use.

Spring brings white "puff" flowers followed by small dark blue berries which are not poisonous nor do they stain your hands and hardscape. In my area, buxus can suffer chlorosis as well as heat and cold burnishing. Dwarf myrtle thrives with absolutely zero issues here. Most of our local nurseries have it, including "home improvement, big box stores". I love it! Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Dwarf myrtle

• mzstitch
    9 years ago

Kim you had me sold but Dwarf Myrtle has a minimum of zone 9 so Charleney or I couldn't use this one. I was excited to see this new topic though, as I've been wanting to do this myself. I wonder if there is something similar available for zones 7 and 8. Great information Hoovb it sounds like its important to equally water the entire area.

• charleney
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank u so much all! Is the boxwood expensive, or what should I have to pay for it?

• eastTXmeg
    9 years ago

Subk3 ...I like your rose trellis (I'm looking for one but can't seem to find any I like) ...do you know where yours are from by chance?

Thanks!

• roseseek
    9 years ago

That depends upon where you buy it. Gallons of it are locally available here (San Fernando Valley, Los Angeles) for as little as $3 a piece. Higher end nurseries sell named varieties for up to $10 per gallon. Kim

• subk3
    9 years ago

Sometimes the Green Velvet boxwood that I use are available at Home Depot for $5+ dollars a gallon. My edging has perennials (in the picture becky daisies and geranium) between the boxwood and the rose. We also get 50+ inches of rain a year so that keeps everyone happy and in their place too!

eastTXmeg, the trellis are made from a piece of found scrap metal that I had a metal guy put side rails on--so not available anywhere...

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!