Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bill_ri_z6b

Suggestions for a rose hedge

bill_ri_z6b
12 years ago

I have a small bed (12 feet by 3 feet) where I'd like some sort of hedge for a little privacy from the street. 3-4 feet high would be OK, or maybe slightly higher. I can prune now and then to keep them in bounds if necessary. I was thinking of yellow. I like KnockOut roses OK, but the yellow ones I understand aren't so great. I have read about yellow Simplicity, so if anyone has any experience with these, I'd appreciate your comments. I was also thinking of some of David Austen's English roses, since they tend to grow more upright. Again your comments would be appreciated.

{{gwi:5901}}

Comments (8)

• jacqueline9CA
    12 years ago

I cannot give any specific recommendations, as my climate is too different from yours, but if you give some info as to WHERE you are in zone 6b (near the coast? elevation? etc), others might be able to help. Just as an example, there are areas in Maine right near the water that are in zone 6, where rugosa hedges are the norm and thrive. However, other zone 6 places would do better with something else......location, location, location, as they say in real estate.

Jackie

• michaelg
    12 years ago

Carefree Sunshine! It is a soft medium yellow with abundant bright green foliage that is resistant to blackspot disease. It repeats quickly and heavily if deadheaded promptly. You can do that with hedge shears. Mine stays around 4' high with moderate pruning. It does want to spread wider than 3', but I think you could control that. Slight but noticeable fragrance. I love this rose.

Here is a link that might be useful: hmf

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    12 years ago

Consider Austin's Molineux. It is a bit more upright than Carefree Sunshine (that isn't true for many, maybe for most, Austins, by the way) and thus might work better as a hedge. It is a blend of yellow/gold/apricot--sometimes looking very yellow/yellowish white, but at other times the golden and apricot tones predominate. I love how it changes color combinations. It is quite floriferous and good on disease-resistance though it may need an occasional fungal spray. Mine have never had any serious fungus problems, however. It has a fuller bloom than Carefree Sunshine does.

Lots of people prefer Carefree Sunshine, so go with what looks best to you.

Kate

• michaelg
    12 years ago

Yes, 'Molineux' is narrower and has a more impressive, more fragrant flower. But in my climate it would not be suitable as a front-yard rose without regular fungicide to prevent blackspot. For me it has somewhat above-average resistance but can still nearly defoliate without protection. However, we have extreme disease pressure here. Maybe someone in the upper mid-Atlantic can comment.

If a very pale yellow would be suitable, my other suggestion for a yellow would be 'Prairie Harvest.'

Here is a link that might be useful: PH at HMF

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    12 years ago

Molineux isn't disease resistant here. I too would recommend Carefree Sunshine. Julia Child might fit the size requirement, but resistance is variable in this area, it needed to be treated in my yard.

• bill_ri_z6b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi everyone.
    Jacqueline, I am in RI but not too near the ocean. To everyone, the location for this hedge will provide mid-day sun for several hours. It's an open area, with the driveway in front, and a lawn and patio behind, so there will be good air flow. I don't know if this information helps but maybe it will. I looked up some of your suggestions online and they do look good. Thank you all.

• barbarag_happy
    12 years ago

I had two rose hedges back in Z6 Ohio-- the rugosa Roserie de l'Hay was a stunning success even in part shade with tree root competition. I used Sarah van Fleet for the other hedge-- in full sun she couldn't complete with tree roots plus turned out to have a leggy habit. Failure.
    Rugosas have the virtue of drought tolerance, nonstop bloom, no need to spray--ever. R.rugosa alba and R.rugosa rubra would be terrific too and would add bright orange hips to the display.
    And now that I've made this pronouncement (!) do tell us exactly how many hours of FULL sun you have!! please!!

• bill_ri_z6b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It will get from 5 hours in spring to maybe 6.5 hours in summer. The rugosa you suggest isn't yellow, although I did find 'Agnes' online as a yellow one. Problem is they are considered invasive here in Rhode Island. They are everywhere, especially along all the shoreline areas.

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner