Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Noisette or Hybrid Perpetual for NJ

Posted by tapdogly NJ (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 3, 12 at 11:33

If you have experience growing Noisette or Hybrid Perpectual in NJ/NY/PA or a similar climate, which are the Noisette or HP roses that have done best for you? I am planning to order one Noisette and one HP and call it quit for this year. (Just had my front yard fenced, and throwing in the impulse buys), this rose hobby is getting a little bit too expensive:)).

The spot I have would be about 7 feet from a line of mature blue spruces tree, about twenty feet tall, and so the roses would get about 7 hours of afternoon sun. If they are climbers, I will need to grow them as bushes as I don't want them to get too close to the spruce trees which is where the fence is. Bonus points for shade tolerance as I also have a "wasted" spot that only gets about 4.5 hours' afternoon sun. Color-wise, I am a sucker for off-white-with-pink-shade roses, and have already planted two Edens, an Awakening, two Abe Darbys and a New Dawn. (All were bands except for the New Dawn.) I love pictures of Blush Noisette though. I also have two Zepherine Droulines and two Louiz Odiers, so ideally the color would be a bit different from these roses as well.

Prefer roses that are tall and wide in growth pattern. The bigger, the better. Also, the smellier, the better.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Noisette or Hybrid Perpetual for NJ

BLush Noisette does well for me, 3-4 feet tall here.

Mrs. John Laing is my best Hybrid Perpetual. It's 3-4 feet tall with good repeat bloom, lovely fragrance.

For a Damask Perpetual, Marchesa Boccella is wonderful. Repeat bloom is very good. It has superb fragrance.

I grow roses near trees, and one must be aware of branches overhanging, which can block sun and rain. I cut back a few tree branches to bring a bit more sun. The trees are mostly to the north of the roses, so the direction of the sun from the south puts the shadows of the trees away from the roses. Still, one must evaluate a planting site carefully near trees, when considering roots, shade etc.

o

Thanks, Krista, for the advice! I will definitely be very careful about where I put the roses. The blue spruces are to the northwest of the roses/my front yard. Trimming them might be a little tricky as they are very slow growers, and I was told not to touch them unless they become diseased. I did trim the dog wood tree near my rose beds quite a bit. I am more concerned with competition from the trees' root systems than the amount of the sunshine the roses will be getting. Luckily, the roots of the spruces don't seem to be as agressive as, say, maples. I figure 6 or 7 feet from the spruces ought to be enough (or I hope, or else the new roses would have nowhere to go.)

I am intrigued by all of the roses you suggested. Wishing for more space...

o

Mrs. John Laing would be a great choice for your climate, but you might want to bury a huge container (15 gal tree pot, whisky barrel?) and plant her in that.
Asking an awful lot of a rose to establish with such intense competition. The roots of those blue spruce go out about twice their HEIGHT and then some...ya know.

o

Good idea, Barbarag! Maybe instead of a tree pot, I can dig a REALLY big hole and put in weed barrier. It would probably prevent the rose from maximizing its root system, but hopefully the hole would be large enough to keep it happy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here