Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
twinkletoad

Your favorite vase for roses

twinkletoad
9 years ago

It may seem like a funny question, but do you have a favorite rose vase? I've used whatever I can find in the past, but this year I have been looking in antique stores for vases especially for my roses. The English roses, especially, call for a special vase (to hold up there big, sometimes drooping (but beautiful) blooms.
I like some of the Fenton Hobnail Opalescent varieties with the ruffled necks.
Do you all have favorites? I'd love to see photos.

This post was edited by twinkletoad on Fri, Apr 4, 14 at 11:36

Comments (30)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

twinkletoad (I love that name!), I've tried various different vases but my all-time favorite is still clear glass. Everything else seems to me to call attention away from the flowers, although I've seen pictures of gorgeous bouquets here and there with colored vases, but even then I lean toward darker, more subtle colors in vases to set off the beauty of the roses.

Ingrid

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    9 years ago

My favorite are my vintage blue mason jars! So beautiful and charming. Also I love milk glass vases you can often find for $1 at goodwill. I like old! :)
    I also have a white bird bud vase I purchased at a flower show. I enjoy picking a few good roses for that. No pics but maybe I'll get some this year

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

It depends on the roses I cut. Some times the stems are long, some times short, so I chose the vase by that. I have a big collection of vases from very old ones that were my Grandmother's to ones I picked up at resale shops.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Most often I use a mason jar, because they are handy and we have so many.

But I also have a big collection of white hobnail milk glass, a few vintage colored glass vases and some of my favorite cream colored ceramic vases (those leak some times and I line with a plastic bottle) We also have a variety of vintage glass jars that are fun to use.

• onewheeler
    9 years ago

Vases are a weakness of mine. I think I have around 30 of them from tiny to large and every color I can find. I pick them up everywhere I go. I don't think I have paid more than $3 for any of them. My daughter gave me two beautiful crystal ones that I cherish. I like to give people small bouquets so buying little vases cheaply makes it a nice little keepsake for some people.

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    9 years ago

I like to use old jars and bottles. Little medicine bottles are great for buds that have short stems.

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    9 years ago

These little pitchers make wonderful bud vases. The lip of the pitcher holds the bud at an angle. Your idea of a Fenton vase with ruffled neck would be perfect for resting stems so the bud faces outward.

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    9 years ago

I try to buy only vases with narrow necks or use tape to narrow the neck of a wider vase. A narrow neck will make a beautiful arrangement which, if put in a wider necked vase would just flop. I have several blue vases that I love with pink roses.

I also have rose bowls I use for shorter stems or those with really floppy necks. These are squat, round glass vases with a grid that goes on top of the vase that holds the blooms in place.

• wirosarian_z4b_WI
    9 years ago

I like reclaimed used jars also for cut flowers. I have several different 1 L. wine carafes that work nice for taller roses & several 1/4 L. carafes that are nice for smaller roses. My favorite container for a bouquet is below, a fairly simple plain white pitcher. I remember listening to a flower arrangement judge talking about "keep your vase fairly simple so it does not upstage the flowers that you are trying to show" & I think that this pitcher does the job very well.
    {{gwi:250222}}

• twinkletoad
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lovely ideas and photos! Thank you!
    I agree with the concept of showcasing the beauty of the flowers, rather than the vase, by keeping the vase simple. Using a pitcher is a nice idea so that the blooms can nod towards the viewer. And Mason jars are very quaint and charming to me. I love them with Cosmos and Zinnias, too!
    I'll be haunting the Goodwills and Rescue Mission in coming weeks... I've spent so much on buying roses this Spring that I should definitely be looking for bargain vases. :)
    Twinkletoad

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

My favorite vases for my old tea roses, all of which nod, are rose bowls. My MIL gave me two cut crystal ones similar to this pic. I put them up on the mantle or someplace else high so that you can look up at the nodding blooms.

Jackie

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I like this one for Austins with short or weak necks (a frog is in the bowl to hold them) These are kind of sad, yesterday the wind howled and today they were picked and sat on the picnic table in the heat for hours.

• twinkletoad
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jackie and Kippy- those are pretty! I like those cut glass rose bowls that have the screen/frog that holds them in place on top.

Kippy- are you using a glass type of frog in the bottom? I have one glass frog and the others are the spiky metal ones that I got at a flea market in NYC. I've never been sure how to properly use them.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Twinkle, I love finding old frogs and we have spike, glass and metal basket styles. I usually use the pin/spike style but this was the basket one for this bowl It is heavier and does not slide around like the pin/spikes. For the pin/spike style I try to push the stems between the pins to hold in place. I use the glass ones more when I want to put a candle in the center since mine will hold a taper candle in the center.

9 years ago

Kippy, that bouquet is simply wonderful in that container. Only two colors, although several shades of yellow for added panache, and what a huge impact it makes.

Ingrid

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    9 years ago

I really like my ikebana vase. It is small (only about 4 inches across), but can hold a lot of flowers or make a sweet, little bouquet. I got it from Rising Sky pottery on Etsy. I almost didn't buy it, because it is a handmade item and a little pricey for me ($15 plus $9.50 shipping), but I couldn't find a vase like it anywhere else. I'm glad I got it. The way it is formed makes it very easy to arrange the flowers. Enjoy your spring flowers everyone. Note: If you do purchase a vase from Rising Sky, I would avoid the Plum color (not shown here). It turns out to be a dark raison color, not plum as described. The owner told me plum is a difficult pigment to get at high temperatures. The blue color I ordered was much better and I'm sure the other colors are as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rising Sky Pottery

9 years ago

Here is a photograph I posted before, but I thought I would point out the ikebana vase I mentioned in the post above.

9 years ago

Here is the vase with just a few flowers. The rose is Iceberg.

9 years ago

jasminerose, that's such a gorgeous picture. Would you please tell me the name of these beautiful roses? It looks somewhat like Annie Laurie McDonnell, but of course there are umpteen fluffy pink roses. The lilac-pink colored roses and blue vase are perfect partners.

Ingrid

9 years ago

Hi Ingrid. Yes, that is Annie Laurie McDowell. The way I can spot Annie is by her lack of thorns. Good call!

This post was edited by jasminerose4u on Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 1:57

• J Sturg
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

This is great information for me as a potter and rose grower. I'm starting my third year with both pottery and roses; there is so much to explore! I've just recently started experimenting with vase forms. Here is James Galway and Cream Abundance in what my husband called "either a vase, or part of a submarine."

6 years ago

J Sturg, did you make that vase? It is very pretty. It sets off the color of the roses perfectly and I like the details at the base.

• J Sturg
    6 years ago

I did make the vase, and thank you. I'm going to keep working on vases that show off short-stemmed English-type roses. As those are my favorites. Like I mentioned, the comments above are all great input.

6 years ago

Daisy, you have a talent for arranging. Those are beautiful bouquets. Thank you for sharing. What is the grey colored rose in the third photograph from the top?

• KarenPA_6b
    6 years ago

Agree! Beautiful arrangements with a great mix of flowers and foliage .

• daisymeowmeow
    6 years ago

Thanks everyone. for me it's a joy to arrange the flower and to make the house look better. Especially when the weather condition is not good enough to stay in the garden to enjoy the flower.

jasminerose4u, the purple flower was a young lisianthus before it turned to purple. Aren't they beautiful? I had to buy it as I tried to grow it two times, died on me.....

• KarenPA_6b
    6 years ago

Daisy, how long do your arrangements last? Why do mine look so sad after a day? They just don't look as fresh eventhough I cut them early in the morning.

• daisymeowmeow
    6 years ago

Hi Karen, how long do my arrangements last? Hmm, it really depends on the varieties but not the cutting time. Some of them last long on bush and in the vase. Such as our vanilla, seduction, hannah gordon, amazing Grace 07', Evelyn, peach profusion, Florentina, bordure vive, rebell, nahema, William Morris, ..... (some of them you can see on my previous photos ). They can at let last 7 days in the vase ( change water and cut legs in sharp angle in water 2-3 times ). Some of them last 10 days to two weeks in spring and autumn .

Some of them got very short life, such as winchester cathedral, sharifa asma, Claire Austin, Jude the obscure..... 2- 4 days only.

The vase need to be clean, I normally use dish wash to clean them, then left some dish wash inside, put water and one spoon of sugar ( since they are easy to get in the kitchen :-)

If those flowers can last long, but they look sad after just cut, you can put them in water to float for hours, then they can be alive again. Sometimes I even cut them in hot noon.

But for rose like winchester cathedral, don't bother, although it's very pure white and pretty.

• Michaela (Zone 5b - Iowa)
    6 years ago

I love this question! I have a few but I use this one a lot. I love Fenton hobnail vases and go hunting for them at antique stores a lot.