• boncrow66
    9 years ago

Got love the turkeys lol.

• canadian_rose
    9 years ago

Wild turkeys!! How wonderful!!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

What a great picture! Don't you feel privileged? Birds and animals add so much to the joy of the garden (I know, other than the ones that are trying to eat it!).

Ingrid

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Cool. I've never seen anything like that in the garden.

Well, I have seen a couple ducks trying to lay eggs in my garden. They wandered over from the pond at the park a block away. They drive us nuts every summer. Want to take over and claim our yards for their own enjoyment.

Not quite the same as spotting some wild turkeys browsing the garden.

Kate

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    9 years ago

We have a huge flock of them that makes a large circle in our very rural neighborhood. They hit our stalls to pick up the grain the horses drop, and our neighbor has a feeder for them on a timer. They know exactly what times to be at his place. The flock is so large they literally stop traffic when they're hot footing it down our road to finish their circuit of the neighborhood. I love it when the baby turkeys come along. I've never gotten pictures of them.

• bethnorcal9
    9 years ago

Way cool! Where I live, I'm on a no-through road that splits in front of my house and makes a circle that goes down to an area that's on the edge of a small canyon. The house at the bottom has a big pond that runs off into a small creek that runs on down the canyon. There's a lot of wildlife down there. The wild turkeys can be heard gobbling down there often, as well as the peacocks screeching from time to time. The turkeys usually come meandering up the road around Thanksgiving time. Last yr I missed out on seeing them. One of the neighbors said they'd been up a few weeks ago too. I always like to take pics of them, cuz they're such an oddity. I wish the peacocks and peahens would come up and visit. That would be really cool!!

• deervssteve
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The strangest bird that ever visited was a Great Blue Heron. It was 4 1/2 feet tall and when it landed in a redwood tree, I thought the branches would break.

From time to time, I've seen pheasants and quail, but the predators including neighborhood cats make them scarce.

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    9 years ago

So cool! I saw some this past year, not long after a neighbor had had them land in his yard. They were in my closest neighbors' horse pasture, eating something. Folks do hunt them around here, but we'd never seen them before.

We have a big blue heron that goes to our woods acreage on down the road, where beavers dammed up a stream and made a big pond. I spot him flying (pretty low) overhead sometimes, and I always think of pterodactyls!

My favorites are still just the regular ole hawks. We have a lot because there are open fields as well as woods. I love watching them fly high on the winds. I swear one knows me by now and caws (what do hawks say?) at me when he flies low over my yard. One day I spotted one in one of my out-of-the-way potted plants under a huge tree, hiding! He left after his rest and he was fine :)

• catsrose
    9 years ago

Here's one of my autumn visitors--just for you.

• caflowerluver
    9 years ago

I have lots of garden visitors, some good and some not so good. We have wild turkeys, bobcats, coyotes, deer and every other wild animal in the area. The deer love my roses. They think it is a salad buffet. Even after we put up deer fence around the whole 2.5 acres, they still come for a visit. I guess they didn't get the memo that they were not invited.
    {{gwi:250691}}

• caflowerluver
    9 years ago

Here is the bobcat. My DH likes him and calls him Mr. Robert. He hopes he eats all the gophers and ground squirrels. I get a little nervous when I am working outside alone. They can take down a full grown deer. I think I am smaller than that.

• professorroush
    9 years ago

All I can say, catsrose, is "What a Rack!" And aptosa, that bobcat is marvelous. I've only seen them on my night camera.

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    9 years ago

Mr. Robert is beautiful, Aptos. We have them here, but they are very shy.

• kittymoonbeam
    9 years ago

Don't be afraid of bobcats. They don't bother humans and mostly go after small prey. Mountain lions are different but even so, rarely will they bother people.

My neighbor has a duck that lays eggs in her backyard hedge row every year. After the eggs hatch, she waits until the duckies can get in and out of the pool by themselves and then she leads them out of the yard and into the drainage ditch to somewhere else. This is her third year using the same location. I'm glad she found a safe place to make her nest. She goes right to the back door and asks to be fed while she waits for all the eggs to hatch. Then shes gone until the next year. When the little ones are swimming around, a duck sign goes up in the yard so we all know the babies are hatched. Then it's just a few days until they walk to the drainage ditch.

I like your turkeys. If only they would chase your deer off for you.

• deervssteve
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My house is off a driveway from a small court. As I was driving up the court, I saw this funky looking cat. As I got closer it didn't move. Just as I got next to it, it turned sideways. It became obvious then that it was a young coyote and not a very bashful one.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

I don't want any visitors to my garden! The rabbits are bad enough. There are supposed to be coyotes ranging along the lake shore here but I've never seen any. There's been a big uproar about it because of people's pets but for my money they're welcome to all the rabbits,squirrels and other vermin they can catch! We do have some hawks around once in a while too. Really cool to see one land in one of my trees!

• andreark
    9 years ago

The wild life is as beautiful as our roses.

Last year I thought I heard a massive dog fight going on. Scared the life out of me. I ran to all of my second floor windows trying to find out where they were so I could TRY to do something. But I couldn't see them anywhere. THEN, I LOOKED UP ON MY NEIGHBORS ROOF, AND IF WAS COVERED WITH TURKEYS.
    What a wonderful racket they made. My pups just ran around in
    circles and barked....They were very confused!

Have a great spring all.

andreark