Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mirendajean

Improbably rooted cuttings...Woohoo!

Hey ya'll. it's been a good while since I've posted. I did some "Lets just see what happens" rose propagation last year. When I tried, excitedly, to share my results with my partner...let's just say he was underwhelmed. I moved onto my BF, explaining that I did everything "wrong" and still ended up with nice results...she listened kindly and said "That's nice." So I'm sharing with you, my fellow Roseaholics.

Last year, on a lark, I took a tiny twig left over from summer pruning and popped it into a 4oz kid's juice bottle full of compost. I was just curious to see if the tiny thing would root. At the same time I picked up a 4 1/2" cane (I don't know which rose it came from) I'd found in the garden after a storm. I also popped that into a tiny juice bottle but I just used garden clay.

The little juice bottle I used....

{{gwi:250999}}

I put the first, tiny, cane on my kitchen window sill. I was excited last fall when I realised that the tiny twig rooted and flourished on my damp kitchen windowsill.

{{gwi:251000}}

{{gwi:251001}}

I listened to advice from you guys and left it alone for a good long while. It happily overwintered in its little bottle on my windowsill. I repotted the "Twig" couple of months ago (I apologise, I couldn't get a focused pic)

{{gwi:251002}}

{{gwi:251003}}

I put the 2nd, storm cane in a small two tier garden greenhouse....then I promptly forgot about it. Thankfully, we had an abnormally mild winter. A week ago I found the little cane on the ground underneath the bottom tier of the greenhouse. It spent the winter/spring deprived of sun, absorbing what moisture it could, dejectedly laying half out of its yellow bottle.

When I guiltily picked up the cane the bottle fell off and I saw this...

{{gwi:251004}}

I think the heavy, boggy clay is the only reason moisture was retained. I used an old soup container to pot it up. It's been given a nice, sunny spot in the garden.

{{gwi:251005}}

{{gwi:251006}}

I'm really, really happy with this result.

My other cuttings are healthily fairing well. Most started out in used, plastic soup containers. Here's pics of a few...

{{gwi:251007}}

{{gwi:251008}}

Thanks for letting me share!

M

Comments (9)