Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing roses in a gravel covered bed

Posted by KingCobb 9/TX (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 4, 14 at 12:41

We are buying a house, and there are is one bed the previous owners used rock/gravel as basically the mulch. If I dug down and planted my roses in this bed, would the rocks make it too hot for the roses? They will get morning sun but shaded in the afternoon.

The question I guess is basically, do we need to remove the rocks, leave them, or just cover them with mulch?

Thanks for the help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing roses in a gravel covered bed

I'd remove the rocks--get it over and done with so that it doesn't bug you for years to come! And you don't want to dig and let the rocks get mixed into the planting soil.

Kate

o

I don't mess with amending the soil. I plant em in the clay here and top dress em with rose soil once a year. They grow great!

o

In my climate roses bake in rock mulch. I've removed all that awful stuff from my yard (previous owners had put it everywhere). A good organic mulch, such as wood chips or something similar is much better.

o

Thats what I was asking about just covering the rocks with wood mulch rather then removing them?

Its a lot of rocks.....Sized between golf balls and tennis balls.

This post was edited by KingCobb on Fri, Apr 4, 14 at 14:11

o

Hi KingCobb

Been there, done that - in terms of trying to cover rock beds with mulch and believe me it's a total pain in the neck. I agree with everyone that you need to remove the rock now as thoroughly as possible before you even try planting anything in there. Even if you think you're only going to dig a hole and keep the rocks at the surface, it never works that way. They roll down the hole sides as you try to put the rose in, and if you have to remove a rose they slide all over and dig into the soil as well. Then it's perfectly awful to dig new holes into that soil, since those golf ball sized rocks are now buried deep and you hit them every time you dig in with a new shovel full.

Really, I advise biting the bullet now and scraping off the surface now, since it's too hot in your climate to plant the roses in a rock garden. You'll save yourself no end of grief in the end.

Cynthia

o

One more thing -- if the rocks are limestone, they'll make the soil beneath very alkaline. If you don't know, do the vinegar test -- if some spilled onto the rocks starts to fizzle, then you have limestone.

:-)

~Christopher

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 10:49

I know someone who uses white rock mulch in all his rose beds but he's in Colorado where it's cooler. It might be too hot for Texas. I think I'd remove it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here