Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rose Slugs

Posted by dizzylizzy415 7b (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 27, 14 at 12:50

The rose slugs have heavily infested my Knockouts this year! I have never had such a problem. Anyone else have this same problem this year? Too many to just squish. Should I use Neem oil?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rose Slugs

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 27, 14 at 20:58

Try a horticultural oil spray first, as the neem will also wipe out predators. If the oil spray doesn't work, then go for a heavier weapon.

o

Will try it. Thanks, Hoovb. Meanwhile I spent an hour squishing yesterday. Hope it helps!

o

I had a lot of rose slugs earlier this year and picked them off. Anything you spray to kill them will wipe out everything else as well so don't do it. I would spray with water as you would for aphids but not too hard and hopefully it will knock them off.

o

Spinosad works on the kind I have (the kind that curl up like a snake) and leaves the beneficials that don't eat the leaves, unless you kill them on contact with it perhaps. Just make sure not to spray when bees are out, and you might cut off any open blooms to be sure. It's toxic to bees until it's dried completely. If the leaf-cutter bees are active, I'd not spray it because I'm afraid it would hurt them even when dry (?).

Squishing is best, but I had so many last year that they ate ALL of the foliage eventually on certain roses, even with my daily squishing. That's just too many!

o

I am also having trouble with bugs on my two knockout roses. I will try to find some neem oil at walmart to see if I can control them. how often do you need to spray neem oil on roses to kill the slugs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here