Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this black spot?

Posted by kansas.girl none (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 26, 14 at 13:03

I just cut these off my plant. Is it a disease?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this black spot?

That does not look like black spot. Possibly rose slugs?

o

Thank you. I'll have to look up some info on that.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 26, 14 at 19:37

No, that's not black spot. It does not look like any kind of disease. If it's an insect you need to find the bug responsible before you use any type of insecticide. Not all insecticides work on all bugs. If you spray the wrong one you could kill off the good bugs and create an even worse problem.

Where were these leaves on the plant? Is it possible that they just got damaged by something? Are there more areas where it's happening?

o

• Posted by jim1961 6a Central Pa. (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 26, 14 at 19:44

Actually you could of left them on the rose bush as it does look like insect damage and not blackspot.
It will not hurt anything its just an eye-sore to some people.
Look for small greenish looking worms on the underside of the leaves. Our rose slugs get about 1 inch long when mature.

o

• Posted by jim1961 6a Central Pa. (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 26, 14 at 19:54

Kansas girl, the pic below is blackspot on rose leaves.
Your damage was caused by something else...

photo blackspot2_zps6a9d7bf6.jpg

o

Thank you for the photo and information. My leaves definitely don't look like that. All of the leaves up top are perfectly fine. There are a few more areas on the lower ones towards the middle that look like this. I looked around and didn't see a bug. Can they dig into the soil? This is a new plant and I have to repot it into one of my own containers (I was going to wait until closer to Mother's Day). Maybe we left the little critter back at the nursery?

o

Just looks like a rose leaf that's been a little beat up at the nursery to me.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 27, 14 at 12:52

Unless it gets worse and continues to spread I agree with the professor, it looks like older leaves that were damaged somehow. Being toward the bottom center of the plant means these are probably some of the oldest leaves on there and who knows what they've been through already.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here