Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carefree Sunshine

Posted by jacqueline3 9CA (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 3, 12 at 13:14

Does anyone grow Carefree Sunshine in the SF Bay Area? I have a space in a bed that is about 4 ft by 5 ft, and I am looking for a rose that is full, and about 4-6 ft tall to put in it. Gets morning and mid day sun. Other suggestions? A lighter color is needed, and most important is disease resistance - I don't spray.

I am asking because HMF says the zone for this CS is 6b-8b, which seems an awfully narrow range to me (its an Austin, so perhaps that is correct - only will grow in England!), and I was hoping someone grows it around here, where we are zone 9 with wet winters and dry warm summers. Thanks so much for your help!

Jackie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carefree Sunshine

Correction: Carefree Sunshine is NOT a David Austin rose. It is a Radler rose. Nevertheless, it is a tough one. I wouldn't worry about the zone being marked 6-8. Don't think it would be any problem for you. Usually the zones are of more concern in terms of how much cold they can withstand.

If you want another lighter colored, very disease-resistant rose, try Easter Basket. I think it has much prettier blooms, and I love the blended colors and how they often change. It might only get 3-4 ft tall, however, so maybe that would not work for you.

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Easter Basket at Helpmefind

o

Not relevant to the original poster's situation, but CS has been reported cane-hardy in parts of zone 5, and heat-tolerant in Alabama.

o

Thanks so much, Kate - I do like the blooms on Easter Basket much more. I wonder how it does with rust - most of my modern roses get rust out here, but none of the old ones do. I don't think the rest of the country has this problem - no idea why.

Jackie

o

Away from the immediate Pacific Coast, rose rust is limited by warm summer temperatures, which it does not tolerate.

o

Jackie,
I can't help you for your area - but can only add that CS is a great rose. Extremely floriferous, and with some insouciant deadheading (best done with a glass of wine in one hand) will bloom like few others. Cold hardy (to z5) and large. As always, YMMV.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 3, 12 at 23:50

I've been looking at Easter Basket, Kate. Glad to hear it's got good resistance for you. I may give it a try myself.

o

Carefree Sunshine was the first rose to open for me this spring (yesterday, that is), and it may be the first to repeat as well.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 4, 12 at 11:39

There was a magnificent specimen at Descanso, last I was there. Huge and beautiful and covered with flowers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here