Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I love my 'Jude the Obscure'

Posted by melle_sacto Z9/Sunset 14 CA (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 13:15

photo IMG_3603_zps827f5e6e.jpg

Partly just because of the name ;-) Today is the first day of what will be a season of lovely blooms, plus a smaller rebloom, and I wanted to share how much I adore this plant. Aside from some not-that-great mini roses I've received as gifts, Jude is the only rose for me.

I read about Jude here, several years ago, and I think I asked for (and received) a teeny Jude bare root for Christmas...must have been 4-5 years ago now. The first couple years it didn't really impress, but now that it's established it's one tough plant.

What a great shrub. I adore the fragrance, it's not the cloying rose scent but something fresh, fruity in a tropical sort of way. I love the old-fashioned blooms. I love the peachy/yellow color. I love how well it does in my climate.

Here's a photo I took outside. I tried to capture the full shrub, but with the sun etc it didn't really look that great. It's about 4' wide and 6' tall, would grow bigger if I didn't keep it pruned a bit.

photo IMG_3602_zps2bce9397.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I love my 'Jude the Obscure'

• Posted by zjw727 Coastal Oregon Zone (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 13:17

Jude the Obscure has one of favorite scents- it's really REALLY attractive (to my nose)!

o

Glad you like it. I gave up on Austin roses years ago. I was never able to get any of them to stay healthy and they were kind of pricey.

o

I am so glad to hear someone In my zone singing the praises of this rose. I am saving one of the last rose spots for another Austin. Jude and Wollerton Old Hall are the two I want to see in person before choosing.

o

Your rose bouquet is absolutely glorious, and it took my breath away when I opened your post. That's probably the best picture I've seen of this rose, hands down. The outside bush is also quite attractive but I'd be tempted to cut all the flowers to take indoors!

Ingrid

o

This is also one for which I've been saving a spot. My 18 month old tried to smell the picture when she saw the bouquet. Achingly beautiful!

o

That is a gorgeous rose. It makes me impatient to see mine. I planted a Jude last winter. It has one bud on it.
I hope it does as well as yours, Melle Sancto.
Daisy

o

melle sacto,
The buds on your Jude the Obscure bush are very beautiful. I would like to have one (or a few) for myself. Did he bloom well for you during the summer?

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 18, 14 at 15:02

Beautiful! That globular form is what I like best about most of the Austin roses.

o

My absolute favorite rose too! Took a few years to establish (own root) but he's finally starting to take off! The scent is divine and the flowers like a painting. Mine's about 3x3 after 3yrs. The pink on the left is Evelyn, another slow starter for me

o

Another shot. Spring 2014

o

blocke 19,
What a beautiful rose you have! What does your Jude look like now (in October) ?

o

Still very healthy, I spray maybe once a month or so. I cut a bunch of blooms last week because we were due a good frost but today there's maybe 3 more buds getting ready to open. Grows about a foot over the season. My only complaint (if such) is that I wish he'd get bushier, he's still quite an open plant

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here